English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 May 2021, 09:42   #1141
Syntrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses13 View Post
I have stuck with Kickstart 3.1 ROMs in my A1200 because I didn't want to lose the authentic Amiga tick logo on the boot screen. The 3.1.4 ROMs replaced that with a huuuuuuuuge boing ball.

I'm guessing these new ROMs will have the oversized boing ball screen. If so, should I keep my 3.1 ROMs, or is it really time to move on and install new physical 3.2 ROMs? The 3.2 notes do seem to recommend the switch.

I know that the boot screen is seldom seen, but I do have a removable SD card, so can pop it out to see the boot screen and load floppies, which is highly nostalgic for me from my original Amiga days.

Perhaps in the future the newer ROMs can use the tick logo? - although I realise that's probably down to several hundred lawyers fighting it out to the death.
Go for a new KS. If you're still on 3.1 and skipped 3.1.4, this improvement is big. Of course, it will still be an Amiga, it still runs WB and in your daily use, you might not even notice the difference, but every now and then, you will find a small new feature that makes things easier.

Old 16 May 2021, 10:50   #1142
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Here is a screenshot of a few features of TextEdit (and actually of the texteditor.gadget itself)

You can make rectangular selections (also known as column selections), and you can show line numbers and make bookmarks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	290
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	71947  
Old 16 May 2021, 10:53   #1143
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
Here is a screenshot of a few features of TextEdit (and actually of the texteditor.gadget itself)

You can make rectangular selections (also known as column selections), and you can show line numbers and make bookmarks
Ah I love that feature in SublimeText (on PC)
Old 16 May 2021, 11:04   #1144
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
Would it be possible backport GUI for Roadshow even though Roadshow is not part of the AmigaOS3.x (yet)?
Let's say it's not impossible on technical grounds The main issue would be that without Roadshow to come with it, its usefulness would be severely restricted.
Old 16 May 2021, 11:35   #1145
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
without Roadshow to come with it, its usefulness would be severely restricted.

very limited
Old 16 May 2021, 11:59   #1146
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

The physical kickstart is nice to have for early boot diagnostics, new advanced features and 4GB+ boot support on powerup. It is also essential if your hardware does not support kick/module mapping to fast ram, otherwise it will use valuable chip ram.
If all above is not essential, and your configuration supports fast ram mapping then you can use basic 3.1 and have fun in both worlds (legacy and modern), it really depends on the use case and flexibility. Hopefully most configurations are covered.
Old 16 May 2021, 12:27   #1147
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
very limited
I still don't think it's a bad idea. If there is a chance to use the source code from OS4.1 version due to ongoing collaboration and the existence of the updated Reaction, it would improve the accessibility of Roadshow for all users who has it. And I am sure there is enough space on the CD in 'Contribution' drawer...
Old 16 May 2021, 12:39   #1148
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
I still don't think it's a bad idea. If there is a chance to use the source code from OS4.1 version due to ongoing collaboration and the existence of the updated Reaction, it would improve the accessibility of Roadshow for all users who has it. And I am sure there is enough space on the CD in 'Contribution' drawer...
But there is roadie allready on aminet http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/Roadie

What else do you need?
Old 16 May 2021, 12:57   #1149
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Here is an animated gif of the window resizing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resize.gif
Views:	506
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	71948  
Old 16 May 2021, 13:56   #1150
Jope
-

http://forum.amiga.org/index.php?top...2395#msg792395
Quote:
Even worse, the current implementation of the graphics library runs into a busy-wait to let the blitter complete, it does not perform smart things such as sending the CPU into a Wait(), where it could allow another task to take over.
I found this old thread recently and was wondering, did you guys see whether a tiny ounce of performance could have been squeezed out by not busy-waiting here?

I tried to find it in the 3.1.4 gfxlib release notes, but nothing caught my eye.
Old 16 May 2021, 14:42   #1151
Warty

Quote:

Yes! Great feature!

TextEditor in general looks great, can't wait to play with it.

Are you guys doing your coding in TextEditor now? Did it get as far as the eat your own dogfood stage?
Old 16 May 2021, 14:57   #1152
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
Yes! Great feature!

TextEditor in general looks great, can't wait to play with it.

Are you guys doing your coding in TextEditor now? Did it get as far as the eat your own dogfood stage?
Relevant question for sure, but not real coding no. I did try for a little while but I'm not there yet to use it full time. It doesn't have completion and symbol lookups. But outside of the OS project I'm creating my own IDE that eventually will have some of the features needed for me to switch over completely. I'll tell more about the IDE in the future when I get around to working on it
Old 16 May 2021, 15:03   #1153
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Relevant question for sure, but not real coding no. I did try for a little while but I'm not there yet to use it full time. It doesn't have completion and symbol lookups. But outside of the OS project I'm creating my own IDE that eventually will have some of the features needed for me to switch over completely. I'll tell more about the IDE in the future when I get around to working on it
Sounds amazing, Camilla.
Looking forward to that.

I noticed while using VS Code (which I enjoy), that I don't really need that many features (not even code completion or symbol lookups), but the UI just needs to feel clean, simple and non convoluted.
Old 16 May 2021, 15:10   #1154
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Sounds amazing, Camilla.
Looking forward to that.

I noticed while using VS Code (which I enjoy), that I don't really need that many features (not even code completion or symbol lookups), but the UI just needs to feel clean, simple and non convoluted.
Yes I don't need them either, but it makes for faster coding. Other things i want in my IDE are source level debugging with breakpoints, and building and jumping to compiler messages.
Old 16 May 2021, 15:47   #1155
fluffkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutLaww View Post
Where was that from ?
Retro Passion in the UK.
Old 16 May 2021, 16:17   #1156
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
I've been using TextEdit a lot indeed, albeit for smaller tasks like batch scripts. It feels both Amiga-ish and modern at the same time.
Old 16 May 2021, 20:06   #1157
alancfrancis

Hi folks,

First off thanks and congratulations on the release of 3.2! I have an order in with amigastore.eu and hopefully it managed to avoid the Brexit troubles to ship here to the UK. My 3.1.4 1200 will hopefully soon be on 3.2.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but will a new set of libs and headers, a new NDK, be needed? The user facing features seem extensive (I'm not familiar with 3.9 or 4.0, so not sure how much is new and how much is backport). How much of this is accessible to C developers ?

Thanks in advance!

Alan
Old 16 May 2021, 20:09   #1158
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post
Hi folks,

First off thanks and congratulations on the release of 3.2! I have an order in with amigastore.eu and hopefully it managed to avoid the Brexit troubles to ship here to the UK. My 3.1.4 1200 will hopefully soon be on 3.2.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but will a new set of libs and headers, a new NDK, be needed? The user facing features seem extensive (I'm not familiar with 3.9 or 4.0, so not sure how much is new and how much is backport). How much of this is accessible to C developers ?

Thanks in advance!

Alan
An updated NDK is included on the CD
Old 17 May 2021, 05:43   #1159
wiser3

I don't know if there any any legal problems with it, but TextEdit would have better been named "CodePad" or CodeEdit". It's features are more aligned with something i would use to code with then to edit plain text with.
Old 17 May 2021, 08:22   #1160
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser3 View Post
I don't know if there any any legal problems with it, but TextEdit would have better been named "CodePad" or CodeEdit". It's features are more aligned with something i would use to code with then to edit plain text with.
Yes the features are a bit on the advanced side, but maybe it is just me, but editing shell scripts and ARexx are 2 of the main reasons for a text editor on the amiga.