English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 September 2017, 23:28   #1101
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Is there some application which starts working after doing this or breaks if it is not done?
No. The original powerpc.library used it to put the gfx memory address range in a BAT to speed up things. It does not work with the sonnet. The sonnet sets the gfx memory by default in a BAT register. No ENV/powerpc stuff is looked at, at the moment.
Old 03 September 2017, 23:42   #1102
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Setting it at 160mhz (4) seems to be absolutely fine. And now setting it at 200mhz (3) also seems to be absolutely ok too, nothing crashing at the moment. How odd.
What happens if you set it to 0? And then what happens if you delete it from ENVARC: ?

Seeing that Spudje also has a 400/1M...hmm..but I can't see anything wrong with the code.
Old 03 September 2017, 23:56   #1103
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
No. The original powerpc.library used it to put the gfx memory address range in a BAT to speed up things. It does not work with the sonnet. The sonnet sets the gfx memory by default in a BAT register. No ENV/powerpc stuff is looked at, at the moment.
You know what we should do is put the original ppc.library in ROM at U1, then we could use all the tools to disable it for more compatibility.
Old 04 September 2017, 00:11   #1104
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Just release some ports with no sound, plz thnx.

A shame if it was another two weeks..
Old 04 September 2017, 18:29   #1105
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
What happens if you set it to 0? And then what happens if you delete it from ENVARC: ?

Seeing that Spudje also has a 400/1M...hmm..but I can't see anything wrong with the code.
Currently testing #281.

If I remove SetCMemDiv from ENVARC:Sonnet and reboot, then upon running something like Quake2 I will get a crash (hard lockup usually) within about a minute or two.

Setting SetCMemDiv to 3 and everything works perfectly.

Setting SetCMemDiv to 0 and everything so far (fingers crossed) seems to be working perfectly.
Old 04 September 2017, 21:00   #1106
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Currently testing #281.

If I remove SetCMemDiv from ENVARC:Sonnet and reboot, then upon running something like Quake2 I will get a crash (hard lockup usually) within about a minute or two.

Setting SetCMemDiv to 3 and everything works perfectly.

Setting SetCMemDiv to 0 and everything so far (fingers crossed) seems to be working perfectly.
Still not sure what is wrong...could you test 282 283 while removing SetCMemDiv?
Old 04 September 2017, 21:20   #1107
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'll give #283 a try!

Don't discount the high probability that I'm doing something wrong with my testing, I'm a bit crap at it! User error if no one else is encountering any issues then it's maybe just me that's the issue
Old 04 September 2017, 21:43   #1108
Wrangler

A couple of updates from me:

I've updated the guide to replace the reference to the WarpOS environment variables with a reference to the Sonnet ones. And I've added some instructions for keeping the library out of libs: and initialising it on demand. I think someone requested that.

@Hedeon: the problem with gearsppc.exe comes from BoingBags3&4 and (I am guessing here) the revised ROM update it installs. Anyway it's something in that collection that is clashing with gearsppc.exe, probably, as you say, down to a lack for proper error checking in gearsppc.exe. Having said that, it works fine on a CSPPC with WarpOS but I guess that's because the same people wrote WarpOS, Warp3D and gearsppc...
Old 04 September 2017, 22:17   #1109
trixster
Guru Meditating

With #283 if i remove SetCMemDiv from ENVARC:sonnet and reboot, BlizQuake will crash within about 20 seconds of starting the first demo run through. I tried this twice with cold reboots in between.

With SetCMemDiv back in place, following a reboot BlizQuake has been running for the last 50 minutes on demo loops without issue.

The A4000 has been on pretty much continuously now since about 1400 this afternoon so it's about a warm as it's going to get! I'm still running with case lid off and with a fan taking hot air away from the voodoo and the sonnet.

EDIT!

Scratch that, I had SetCMemDiv at 4 during that last 50min test. I've just put it to 3, reset everything and now BlizQuake has crashed within about 15 seconds.

Damn. Told you i was crap at this

200mhz cache on my card unstable? I'll go back to the aminet powerpc.library for a while as that seems to be fine, no crashes to report.

Last edited by trixster; 04 September 2017 at 22:28.
Old 04 September 2017, 22:30   #1110
spudje

Sorry guys, haven't had the time yet to join you in testing SetCMemDiv. I hope to have some time any of the upcoming evenings this week. So do I understand it correctly it's a Sonnet ENVARC (ENVARC:Sonnet/SetCMemDiv), so not Warp3D, Picasso96 or Mediator ENVARC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
A couple of updates from me:
@Hedeon: the problem with gearsppc.exe comes from BoingBags3&4 and (I am guessing here) the revised ROM update it installs. Anyway it's something in that collection that is clashing with gearsppc.exe, probably, as you say, down to a lack for proper error checking in gearsppc.exe. Having said that, it works fine on a CSPPC with WarpOS but I guess that's because the same people wrote WarpOS, Warp3D and gearsppc...
I only have BB1&2 and still have Gears crash on me.
Old 04 September 2017, 23:28   #1111
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
I've BB3 and 4 installed. Actually in an EEPROM. Albeit i haven't updated since like 0.9f.
Old 04 September 2017, 23:29   #1112
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Sorry guys, haven't had the time yet to join you in testing SetCMemDiv. I hope to have some time any of the upcoming evenings this week. So do I understand it correctly it's a Sonnet ENVARC (ENVARC:Sonnet/SetCMemDiv), so not Warp3D, Picasso96 or Mediator ENVARC?
Yes. Try with ENVARC:Sonnet/SetCMemDiv at 5 first.
Old 04 September 2017, 23:30   #1113
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:

Damn. Told you i was crap at this
You reported it worked with 281 and the setting at 3 and 0. Was this wrong? How does 283 perform with 0?
Old 05 September 2017, 01:00   #1114
grelbfarlk

Here's a fresh build of 284 with the faster RAM timings-new changes in the library to the PGMAX register seems to increased the WriteB benchmark in Sysspeed by another ~4MB/s to 99.5MB/s for me. No real noticeable improvement in application speed though.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 27 January 2018 at 01:38.
Old 05 September 2017, 06:33   #1115
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
You reported it worked with 281 and the setting at 3 and 0. Was this wrong? How does 283 perform with 0?
No, this was correct. 281 with 3 and 0 were ok. I'll try 283 with 0 tonight
Old 05 September 2017, 18:04   #1116
trixster
Guru Meditating

I've just run 283 with 0 from a cold machine and blizquake has locked up 4 minutes into demo looping.
4 runs without issue
3 locks up after about 20 seconds

281:
3 locks up after about 20 seconds
4 runs without issue
0 seems to run ok so far, no lockups! - this has now been running quake and mame for 1.5hrs with zero issues.

278 locks up after a few minutes!

270 runs without issue

Aminet version runs fine without issue

So today's results for 281 dont match what i saw yesterday with regard to setting 3. And i cant fathom why 0 will work with 281 but not 3. As a result Im not sure we can make of what i'm seeing if no one else is reporting a problem. A peculiarity of my sonnet and system setup?

Off to do more testing.

Last edited by trixster; 05 September 2017 at 19:54.
Old 05 September 2017, 19:18   #1117
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I only have BB1&2 and still have Gears crash on me.
Have you tried fresh install based on the guide? Any joy with that? And does gears_68k work for you?
Old 05 September 2017, 19:20   #1118
Wrangler

Quote:
I've BB3 and 4 installed. Actually in an EEPROM. Albeit i haven't updated since like 0.9f.
I suspect it's going to be almost impossible to track this down any further because I can't find BoingBags 3 and 4 separately any more to test version 0.9f.
Old 05 September 2017, 20:53   #1119
spudje

Quote:
Have you tried fresh install based on the guide? Any joy with that? And does gears_68k work for you?
My install is basicly identical to the install in the guide, so I'm not going to do it again. Gears68 and Warptest work fine. ABout to continue my tests.

BTW a small addition to your guide:
The config jumper (labeled SWAP on my mediator) has to be closed if you have either a ZorRAM or BigRAMPlus installed. At least for it was required, see http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1040

Can I simply change the library file to check different versions or is initppc different for each version as well?

Last edited by spudje; 05 September 2017 at 21:32.
Old 05 September 2017, 21:54   #1120
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
I suspect it's going to be almost impossible to track this down any further because I can't find BoingBags 3 and 4 separately any more to test version 0.9f.
I know it is a lot to ask, but you could manually install bb4 and see which component is the culprit.