English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 September 2016, 03:11   #1041
Cobe

That works. But I was thinking if there is a way that that disk could still be functional.
For example if I already created bootable dos disk with all files and than I just want that disk is shown as NDOS in WB.

And what about those disks that don't appear as NDOS but don't show all files, if any, when the disk is opened in WB. I guess they have altered root block, not just randomly trashed. And do they have regular dos bootblock?
Old 16 September 2016, 03:54   #1042
Retro1234
Phone Homer

You need a custom bootblock for the custom file system for it to be able to boot.

without coding knowlege you can have a mixed file system use Startup-Sequence to mount your file system working around block 40 the disk will be Dos in WB but the files on the custom filesystem wont be seen without the mountlist.

but I think there was a utility to do what you want maybe someone remembers or try the link below.
http://www.amiga-stuff.com/fs-creators-download.html

but it would be nice to have a hack of the AmigaDos bootblock that could use a different Root Block other than track 40 for booting.
Old 16 September 2016, 07:04   #1043
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
without coding knowlege you can have a mixed file system use Startup-Sequence to mount your file system working around block 40 the disk will be Dos in WB but the files on the custom filesystem wont be seen without the mountlist.
But how can I have the same disk containing files written with two different file systems? All file systems that I'm aware of need the whole disk to be formatted in that format.

As for the link you wrote, I took a look and they all need coding and writing a loader.
Old 16 September 2016, 07:33   #1044
Jope
-

Yep, you can't create an ndos disk without your own code. If you trash the root block or move it, the computer cannot mount the disk when you boot off it and booting will fail immediately after reading in the standard boot block.
Old 16 September 2016, 09:19   #1045
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
But how can I have the same disk containing files written with two different file systems? All file systems that I'm aware of need the whole disk to be formatted in that format.

As for the link you wrote, I took a look and they all need coding and writing a loader.
AmigaDos only really "needs" track 0 and track 40 - create a mountlist and try it working around track 40

: or copy a Amiga formated track 40 to a not dos disk - only for experimental and the disks seems to be Dos in WB but still boots the game when booted.

I never tried trackmo-dos do you need coding knowlege for T-DOS?

Last edited by Retro1234; 16 September 2016 at 18:34.
Old 16 September 2016, 09:33   #1046
Bastich

If you use a disk editor and rename the first listed file to df0: most directory utilities (including dir) go into a read loop which then lists multiple lines of df0: instead of the true file structure.

Haven't done this in a loooooong time mind.
Old 16 September 2016, 18:42   #1047
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich View Post
If you use a disk editor and rename the first listed file to df0: most directory utilities (including dir) go into a read loop which then lists multiple lines of df0: instead of the true file structure.

Haven't done this in a loooooong time mind.
Sounds like a nice trick but I wasn't able to pull it of. I created a blank disk, created a single dummy file, renamed it with disk editor to DF0: but WB,Dopus and dir show it regulary.

Quote:
AmigaDos only really "needs" track 0 and track 40 - create a mountlist and try it working around track 40
I'm not sure if i get your idea.
When you say mountlist you mean regular mount list like for PC0:, DS0:, CF0: and similar?

I'm imagining the following scenario. We use track 0 and 40. But cause of AmigaDOS bootblock we then need startup-sequence, and files for mounting 'the other' file system from startup-sequence. So these files would use some more tracks. If that other system avoids all those tracks it can place files in its format on same disk without interfering with AmigaDOS. But can two file systems be mounted at the same time on same device? Or maybe it can just take over? Then after mounting 'the other' file system maybe we could change directory to TO0: ('the other' file system) in startup sequence and continue executing files....

This brings me to the other question I always wondered. Is startup sequence fully copied to ram after boot or is it read from disk partially? It seems to me like it's not copied.

Now I suppose if you have your own bootblock and track file system, and deliberately avoid track 40, you could be able to write AmigaDOS root block to it. I suppose your NDOS disk will boot with your system but WB will show fake files from root block you wrote. I guess that explains those disks that I mentioned that don't show all files, if any.

Quote:
I never tried trackmo-dos do you need coding knowlege for T-DOS?
Not specifically for using it. You can create T-Disk, copy files but you need to code MAIN prg that is the first thing called and executed from a bootblock.
Old 17 September 2016, 16:49   #1048
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
This brings me to the other question I always wondered. Is startup sequence fully copied to ram after boot or is it read from disk partially? It seems to me like it's not copied.
Thomas Richter is more suited to answer this, but AFAIK, "Execute" preprocesses each script in order to replace symbols, which means they end up in RAM. Question is if the Startup-Sequence execution follows the same pattern.
Old 17 September 2016, 17:57   #1049
Cobe

And when you're already mentioning Execute. Whats for that T-command file or what was its name that's created after executing a script in T folder?

And why setting protection bit to script never worked for me? I thought if you set it that than you wouldn't need to Execute script with execute command but just run it and Amiga should know that it should Execute it.
Old 17 September 2016, 19:22   #1050
daxb

The Command-?-T?? files seems to be temporary scripts like startup-sequence. Would be nice to know more about it. Here they are created and deleted in SYS:T (3 each boot). Hence my .recycled directory is full of them. I didn`t managed it to redirect them to Ram:T.

Protection bit s (script) should work. What shows SnoopDOS if you try to launch such a script? It should open the script, Execute command and utility.library. At least here it does.
Old 17 September 2016, 22:20   #1051
Cobe

I gave up on s bit long ago. I tried it few times in the past. Probably I was always missing that lib and I never thought it could be just that so I never ran snoopdos... I'll have to give it a try once again.

Was utility.library included on WB disks?
And was S protection bit available since always? I mean from the first WBs and kickstarts?
Old 18 September 2016, 03:44   #1052
idrougge

I think S bit was introduced in 1.3, or even 2.0. It has always worked great for me. Use it every day.
Old 18 September 2016, 06:11   #1053
Cobe

I tried S bit again and now it works. Who knows why it wasn't working in the past when I tried...
Old 03 October 2016, 10:30   #1054
s2325
Zone Friend

Are B.C. Kid and Alfred Chicken somehow connected as both characters have 2 very similar attacks?
Old 03 October 2016, 11:03   #1055
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Are B.C. Kid and Alfred Chicken somehow connected as both characters have 2 very similar attacks?
lol i think they dated once, maybe B.C. Kid showed Alfred Chicken some of his moves
Old 09 October 2016, 22:47   #1056
dJOS

Why do a1200 expansion boards always have the CPU installed facing downwards?

I'd have thought placing the CPU on the side facing up would be better for cooling?
Old 10 October 2016, 09:55   #1057
Daedalus

@dJOS

They don't always have them facing downwards - some have them on the rear of the board such as the Apollo '040 boards. You are correct that having the CPU on the top would help cooling, but in most cases the heat produced by CPUs isn't enough to cause problems when they're placed upside down.

One possible reason for many accelerators being that way is that it's easier and cheaper to manufacture a PCB if there are parts only on one side, so if you can fit everything on the same side (jumpers, A1200 edge connector, logic, SIMM socket, CPU, everything else) then it makes sense to do that unless something else is a higher priority such as cooling or space limitations.
Old 10 October 2016, 10:20   #1058
dJOS

Cheers for the explanation.
Old 10 October 2016, 11:02   #1059
TroyWilkins

Does anyone know the technical reasons why EHB mode was not available in the very early NTSC Amiga 1000 models? I'm guessing it was a change in Denise, but can anyone provide more information please?

Ahh, it appears Denise 8362 R5 was the one that didn't support EHB, according to http://amiga.resource.cx/mod/a1000.html but R6 onwards did, but that doesn't really tell me as much as I'd like to know...
Old 10 October 2016, 17:34   #1060
slaapliedje

I have been using my Atari Falcon a lot lately, and there are some basic things in GEM that I always wondered why they were missing in Workbench. Something like actually sanely organizing folders/files if you want to.. For whatever reason the 'snapshot window' never works for me, if I open the window and do 'snapshot to all' it works, but then my desktop is saved however as well. At least it sometimes works.

I think they tried to make everything so customizable that they didn't give good defaults. Another example is that while there is a shortcut for 'show all' there isn't a shortcut for 'Clean up by name' (though there is for clean up by column).

Anyone aware of the full reasoning for this?