English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 08 September 2016, 15:24   #1021
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I haven't created any documentation on running it in Virtualbox. It's exactly like setting it up on real hardware, you just need to configure your VM to be like the hardware you would normally be installing on.

Virtual machine:
Dos machine, 512 MB ram (more later, can be tricky so start at 512M), ICH-AC97 sound, USB 1.1, IDE HD and CD drives and video ram up to 128MB.

Earlier threads have some details on what I've done.

Last edited by SnkBitten; 10 September 2016 at 19:26.
Old 05 October 2016, 14:52   #1022
pcotter

Does anyone tried the latest Boing bags on Amithlon?
http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/bbag4.htm
Old 05 October 2016, 19:43   #1023
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcotter View Post
Does anyone tried the latest Boing bags on Amithlon?
http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/bbag4.htm
I've done them but it's been a while so things have changed. I remember there being some issues though I don't recall what, or if it was just some visual changes/apps I didn't care for. Like I said, it's been a while.

I decided to stick with the Official BB1 & BB2 for my documentation and haven't moved beyond that.
Old 06 October 2016, 12:50   #1024
esc

I wonder what it would take to rip out everything from ClassicWB 3.9 and apply it to an Amithlon installation. That's always been my favorite Amiga look and feel.

Old 06 October 2016, 17:00   #1025
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
I wonder what it would take to rip out everything from ClassicWB 3.9 and apply it to an Amithlon installation. That's always been my favorite Amiga look and feel.
Most likely taking the time to pull apart all the changes/addons/etc. that ClassicWB 3.9 has in it and applying the compatible ones under Amithlon. You'd also be starting from an installed OS 3.9 Amithlon system, patched with updates and drivers for your hardware before applying the additions ClassicWB has so it could be time consuming. I may do a ClassicWB install under WinUAE to have a look at it when I get some spare time.
Old 21 October 2016, 15:36   #1026
megasosio

After lot of work (im newbie) my amithlon work all ok, sound, video, usb and net. But i installe e-uae whit e-uae loader,whdload and all games run extremely slow. the pc is amd athlon xp 2400+ whit 1Gb ram and nvidia gforce 2 64mb.
What can be the problem?. I see in forum other machines working full whit same or less specs.

Thanks for all and sorry for my bad english.

Old 27 October 2016, 13:29   #1027
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I haven't configured e-uae or whdload yet so I can't offer any advice. I had experimented with e-uae on an older Amithlon setup I had, but it ran almost as fast as an A600. I need to spend some time and work on this, it just hasn't been a high priority for me. Maybe I'll try the e-uaeload route instead of an Amiga workbench setup.
http://aminet.net/package/util/batch/E-UAELoad_v1.31
Old 03 November 2016, 03:19   #1028
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

A little comparison of ShapeShifter on my A4000T (WarpEngine4040 @ 40Mhz) and it on my Amithlon system.

Benchmark run was Speedometer 4.06. System is Mac OS 8.1

Left is Amiga 4000T - Right is Amithlon

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga-vs-Amithlon-Shapeshifter.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	50724
Old 03 November 2016, 16:30   #1029
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

I'm so saddened that this project never got further than it did. It would have been a much more sensible approach to move over to x86 rather than PPC and have the compatibility layer for m68k. :/
Old 03 November 2016, 18:31   #1030
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
I'm so saddened that this project never got further than it did. It would have been a much more sensible approach to move over to x86 rather than PPC and have the compatibility layer for m68k. :/
Agreed. I think Bernie had the right idea with his approach, wrapping up an emulator on top of x86 with pieces being handled directly by x86 instructions....until you can move the rest of the system to x86.

Even with it as abandoned as it was....it's still a very capable system for running system friendly Amiga software.
Old 03 November 2016, 18:37   #1031
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
Agreed. I think Bernie had the right idea with his approach, wrapping up an emulator on top of x86 with pieces being handled directly by x86 instructions....until you can move the rest of the system to x86.

Even with it as abandoned as it was....it's still a very capable system for running system friendly Amiga software.
Something I'm a bit curious about is, as far as I've read, that you can run x86 compiled binaries on Amithlon.
* How does that work?
* Do you have to make a linux host binary that bridges the instructions?
* Since AROS is API-compatible, would it be possible to run AROS compiled software on Amithlon?
Old 03 November 2016, 19:26   #1032
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I wish I could answer that, but I have no experience on this.

You can download and have a look at this..
http://aminet.net/package/dev/gcc/x86-ami-bin

and this..
http://aminet.net/package/dev/gcc/x86-ami-gcc

To see if you can tell what would be needed to compile/re-compile applications to the Amithlon x86 base.
Old 09 November 2016, 14:33   #1033
MikkiDisco

Question

This looks awesome - I'd really like to have a go at building a machine with this on - I have an old Dell c610 that would suit this.

I know its been a while since the original distro, but is there anywhere I can get a copy of the Amithlon CD from?

Old 10 November 2016, 06:52   #1034
ptyerman

The torrent was still around last time I looked, although that was a while ago. Search hard enough and you will find it.
Old 10 November 2016, 22:45   #1035
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Google it, I found it easier that way than any torrent site.
Old 21 November 2016, 13:37   #1036
MikkiDisco

Thanks.

Have been looking at the nice install guide at the start of the thread and the Grub 0.97 install appears to need a floppy drive to run from, but the old laptop I was considering using doesn't have one.

Is there a way to get this onto a boot CD? Don't think you can write a .img taken from a floppy back onto a CD as this has embedded FAT and track information. Thanks.

Old 21 November 2016, 15:51   #1037
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

My guides have the instructions to install from CD everything.....though it is designed for a single system config (no dual booting). I've done a few laptops that were CD only, no floppy drive.
Old 21 November 2016, 18:13   #1038
MikkiDisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
My guides have the instructions to install from CD everything.....though it is designed for a single system config (no dual booting). I've done a few laptops that were CD only, no floppy drive.
Perfect - I'll take a look and thanks for replying.

Old 17 January 2017, 12:23   #1039
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I'm curious if anyone has been able to use Lightwave3D on their Amithlon system.

I can get LightWave3D 5.2 to run, load scenes, etc...generally play with the interface but as soon as I try to render it reboots Amithlon. Even selecting "none" for render display and "save rgb images" crashes immediately after pressing "render", choosing the frame (or series of frames) and clicking ok.

I'm sure the lack of native screenmodes isn't helping.
Old 18 January 2017, 04:28   #1040
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Okay, a little ModePro promotion and I have Lightwave running a little better. I can render to "none" and select save rgb images as 24bit IFF files and then view those with a picture viewer. Trying to render out a Ham6 anim file now...but the render info screens are not functioning so just waiting for the Layout screen to return.