English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 November 2023, 20:05   #1021
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
neat

a good use for lifts in levels that have some spare. will cause a performance hit on real hardware due to the over draw I guess but looks great
If used carefully, the area overdrawn won't be that large.

Quote:
I wonder if the lack of a delay setting is a just missed option in the editor?
Not sure. Doors are handled differently and do definitely have a "stays open for" value. For a lift, you can imagine it would need a similar delay state for the top and bottom.
Old 23 November 2023, 23:45   #1022
abu_the_monkey

so had a quick look at the lift conditions code in the editor and the delay does exist but is used by the 'time out' option to trigger it when it reaches the top or bottom to send it back up or down so is automatically set to zero when selected.
Old 23 November 2023, 23:54   #1023
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
yea, I thought about it too, but in such case , you probably could use High Res Interlace for an image that includes the text. Is it 640x256 atm?
I can do a quick test tonight with one horizontal and one vertical layout. Each image would use its own unique palette…
Ok, so here are 2 quick tests. Images are 640x480, 8bit
Horizontal variant:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oMK...ew?usp=sharing

Vertical version:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yZf...ew?usp=sharing
Old 24 November 2023, 09:17   #1024
Karlos
Alien Bleed

They look cool but I'm not sure about the style/theme. It looks like a the Devil Dog concept got taken a touch too literally.

Are these AI generated? The second one looks like someone torched a zombified version of Hairy McLairy...
Old 24 November 2023, 09:27   #1025
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
They look cool but I'm not sure about the style/theme. It looks like a the Devil Dog concept got taken a touch too literally.

Are these AI generated? The second one looks like someone torched a zombified version of Hairy McLairy...

Yea, just a quick prompt in DALL-E3,, don’t focus too much on what it looks like atm. Its more about the concept. I can try a couple more variants this weekend.
Old 24 November 2023, 10:18   #1026
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I wonder if an AI artistically enhanced image based on a screenshot from the actual level would work.

Last edited by Karlos; 24 November 2023 at 11:28.
Old 24 November 2023, 12:52   #1027
Karlos
Alien Bleed

At least you now know who to blame for the ongoing breed nightmare...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eab-dr.png
Views:	75
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	80843  
Old 24 November 2023, 13:54   #1028
eXeler0

Quote:
I wonder if an AI artistically enhanced image based on a screenshot from the actual level would work.

Yes, there are tools for that
Old 24 November 2023, 21:52   #1029
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The redesign of level A and B is now merged into main for those that don't like grabbing branches. There were some small glitches and at least one that I found way to deadend level B that have been fixed.

There are some additional graphical touches to B to make it more obvious (if it wasn't already) that it's a human structure, rather than an alien one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ring_state.png
Views:	56
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	80846  
Old 25 November 2023, 14:30   #1030
eXeler0

Quote:
Yea, just a quick prompt in DALL-E3,, don’t focus too much on what it looks like atm. Its more about the concept. I can try a couple more variants this weekend.
Just another version building on the "vertical" concept.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dra...ew?usp=sharing
640x480 8-bit, now with more faded backgorund and text on top
Old 25 November 2023, 20:25   #1031
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
so had a quick look at the lift conditions code in the editor and the delay does exist but is used by the 'time out' option to trigger it when it reaches the top or bottom to send it back up or down so is automatically set to zero when selected.
@Karlos

I had a quick look at the engine code and the lift code as you said is handled differently to doors, it does not check for what 'could' be a delay value (at top or bottom) only for player touch, touch +operate key and if it reached top or bottom from what I could see.
Old 25 November 2023, 22:10   #1032
BigD

Quote:
The redesign of level A and B is now merged into main for those that don't like grabbing branches. There were some small glitches and at least one that I found way to deadend level B that have been fixed.

There are some additional graphical touches to B to make it more obvious (if it wasn't already) that it's a human structure, rather than an alien one.
Me and my son both loved it! The visual flourishes really make it! The atmosphere is a lot better now! Yeah, I think a fleshed out story would really add to it. Love the status maps and the CCTV wall was really clever! Nice work! Only getting 12-15FPS on the 060/50 RTG now but playable!

Obviously the PiStorm32 doesn't break sweat!
Old 25 November 2023, 22:39   #1033
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Have you tried it in single player? Level B can be a bit brutal depending on how you choose to tackle it.

Let's give a nod of appreciation to @abu_the_monkey, I don't think I'd have gotten this far with LevelEd 303 and nowhere with the original.

Last edited by Karlos; 25 November 2023 at 22:55.
Old 25 November 2023, 23:30   #1034
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Just another version building on the "vertical" concept.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dra...ew?usp=sharing
640x480 8-bit, now with more faded backgorund and text on top
It does look pretty cool. It makes me wonder if it could be used for asset generation, e.g. tilable textures.
Old 25 November 2023, 23:54   #1035
eXeler0

Quote:
It does look pretty cool. It makes me wonder if it could be used for asset generation, e.g. tilable textures.

It sure can, several tools out there. Just not sure how many are ”works straight out of the box” vs needs setup and tweaking..
Old 26 November 2023, 00:00   #1036
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Well there's a ton of asset fudging needed regardless. Good textures should be able to tile at 8,16,32,64,128. This is why the original hullmetal was used so much, it actually tiles well at all these widths and at pretty much any multiple of 8 offset.
Old 26 November 2023, 00:44   #1037
BigD

Quote:
Have you tried it in single player? Level B can be a bit brutal depending on how you choose to tackle it.
Not yet. I balanced testing the 2-player with a couple of Christmas themed games SDB: Holiday Shift and also Crimbo. Took the time to get 16-Bit Memories HD Wallpaper on my CaffeineOS backdrop while I was at it! It was good transferring your update over PCMCIA rather than SD card!
Old 26 November 2023, 00:51   #1038
eXeler0

Quote:
Well there's a ton of asset fudging needed regardless. Good textures should be able to tile at 8,16,32,64,128. This is why the original hullmetal was used so much, it actually tiles well at all these widths and at pretty much any multiple of 8 offset.
I can Imagine, I recognize the dilemma from mapping Quake maps, its not always the textures that look good in photoshop that look well in the game..

Anyhoo, I know there are tools out there using Stable Difusion and addins for Blender, but since I pay for ChatGPT I get DALL-E3 built ins ot hat what I use.

I tested generating a couple of "spaceship" walls and it did a very good job at generating great detail and at exactly the resolution I asked it to (1024x1024) but as for the seamless tiling... well... it sort of did take it into consideration but it also half-failed.
I'll see if we can tweak the prompt to make it better.

Do you have any examples you wish to try?
Old 27 November 2023, 18:41   #1039
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I had a bit of unused texture space (still do) in one of the level B overrides, so put it to some use.

If there were any level text slots left, it would go something like: "That probably needs fixing..."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deorbit.png
Views:	44
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	80868  
Old 27 November 2023, 21:02   #1040
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Minor changes pushed and merged into main for B that help set the scene for the plot changes I intend to make. There were also some minor path bugs for the aliens to fix.

Github was being stupid, so I closed the PR and merged it manually. If it totally doesn't work, at least you will know why