English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 September 2017, 17:30   #1021
demolition
Unregistered User

Just Vanish on its own. Notice the name 'oxy action' which is indicating that it works like hydrogen peroxide to whiten plastics by releasing oxygen molecules.
Old 25 September 2017, 21:36   #1022
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by franeti View Post
Vanish + liquid peroxide at the same time?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro
It already has peroxide in it and it works great!
Old 25 September 2017, 21:38   #1023
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Just Vanish on its own. Notice the name 'oxy action' which is indicating that it works like hydrogen peroxide to whiten plastics by releasing oxygen molecules.
Nope, this one has hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient.

Last edited by dJOS; 25 September 2017 at 23:34. Reason: Shrunk image down
Old 25 September 2017, 21:48   #1024
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Nope, this one has hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient.
Yes, I know? I didn't write that it didn't have H2O2 in it..
Old 25 September 2017, 22:04   #1025
dJOS

Quote:
Yes, I know? I didn't write that it didn't have H2O2 in it..
You said "works like hydrogen peroxide" which suggests it doesn't contain it, however it actually has it in it plus the oxy etc.

Last edited by dJOS; 25 September 2017 at 23:33.
Old 26 September 2017, 05:55   #1026
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
You said "works like hydrogen peroxide" which suggests it doesn't contain it, however it actually has it in it plus the oxy etc.
Maybe it can be understood like that, but whether it contains it or not is actually not that relevant. What matters here is how it works which is why I wrote it like that.

The 'oxy' = hydrogen peroxide plus a booster that makes it more effective at low temperatures so it might also work better for our purpose than pure hydrogen peroxide.
Old 26 September 2017, 06:26   #1027
dJOS

Quote:
Maybe it can be understood like that, but whether it contains it or not is actually not that relevant. What matters here is how it works which is why I wrote it like that.

The 'oxy' = hydrogen peroxide plus a booster that makes it more effective at low temperatures so it might also work better for our purpose than pure hydrogen peroxide.
Fair enough, English is my native language and even for me it's possible to take my statements multiple ways (just ask my wife!).
Old 15 October 2017, 22:33   #1028
guybrush

I would like to give you a feedback about what I did try.

I had a pretty old Macintosh SE and an Apple 2 that were totally ruined by the sun; so I did get this product at the local beauty store:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/salonc-ca...efault,pd.html

It is fundamentally 40% hydrogen peroxyde, used for hair de-coloration, and being already in a creamy state, means you can use it directly. for 5 USD can't beat it really.

Now, what I did was to use gloves to spread the cream around, then with a brush I did make a layer that was mostly uniform. After that, wrapped it in saran wrap to keep the cream from drying too fast, and put it outside in the direct sunlight; turning the case around every 2 hours or so.

The result was snow white all over; although there were spots that were too white; so be careful if you see that the case yellowing is not uniform.

Was it worth it? Honestly I could take a white spray can and obtain better results; although the chance to ruin everything, if you are not well versed in the art of using spray can; did discourage me
Old 16 October 2017, 14:17   #1029
A4000Bear

Quote:

Actually you are both correct. Vanish laundry booster comes in two varieties. A gel or a powder. The gel contains hydrogen peroxide, the powder contains sodium percarbonate. When water is added, the sodium percarbonate becomes hydrogen peroxide.

My preferred technique is to use the powder version, mixing it with warm water in a plastic tray, and then completely submerging the item. Place in the sun. This gives a far more even result, only the most damaged plastics show any sign of unevenness or chalkiness, and even then it's mild. I had an A500 keyboard that was a vivid cheese yellow, and I was able to get it back to it's normal colour. The darker coloured function keys showed a barely perceptible chalkiness. If you didn't specifically look for it, you wouldn't have noticed it.
Old 16 October 2017, 15:05   #1030
demolition
Unregistered User

How do you find that it is easiest to treat a keyboard? If they are all loose, they want to float which is not optimal. You could keep them attached to the stems, but then the springs should be removed or they will start rusting really quickly..
Old 16 October 2017, 16:40   #1031
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
How do you find that it is easiest to treat a keyboard? If they are all loose, they want to float which is not optimal. You could keep them attached to the stems, but then the springs should be removed or they will start rusting really quickly..
I suppose it would be optimal to realize some sort of base with "poles" on which you insert all the keys, so that they stay vertical and submerged (the base has to be heavy enough to keep the keys below the liquid level).
Old 17 October 2017, 00:21   #1032
dJOS

Quote:
The easy method for keys is to put them all into a large glass jar and then fill it up completely with the vanish gel. Because the process is heat activated, the keys don't need to be facing the sun, just for all the liquid to heat up - that said I do rotate the jar every half an hour to ensure even heating. This works great for me.
Old 18 October 2017, 02:36   #1033
Supamax

Quote:
[...] Because the process is heat activated, the keys don't need to be facing the sun, just for all the liquid to heat up [...]
Are you sure?
If sunlight wasn't needed, it would be sufficient to put keys + liquid in a pot and heat on a kitchen burner (very low flame) or in an oven...
Old 18 October 2017, 02:52   #1034
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Are you sure?
If sunlight wasn't needed, it would be sufficient to put keys + liquid in a pot and heat on a kitchen burner (very low flame) or in an oven...
And that works too, just don't go over 60c for a few hours or you'll melt your keys.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 October 2017, 04:02   #1035
Supamax

But... I always thought/read that the Sun light was an essential part of the process.
Not the Sun heat but the UV rays it emits...
Some guys used UV lamps, too.
Old 19 October 2017, 04:21   #1036
dJOS

Quote:

But... I always thought/read that the Sun light was an essential part of the process.
Not the Sun heat but the UV rays it emits...
Some guys used UV lamps, too.
Yeah me too, but I think the UV was just generating surface heat and activating the process.

Some more experiments here:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 October 2017, 08:42   #1037
Supamax

Quote:
Some more experiments here:
[ Show youtube player ]
VERY interesting.

Actually, the Peroxide+Heat method seems the best .
Old 24 October 2017, 09:18   #1038
dJOS

Quote:
VERY interesting.

Actually, the Peroxide+Heat method seems the best .
Indeed, I'll be using it in future.
Old 19 November 2017, 21:56   #1039
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

I get no problems using my method:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 December 2017, 21:18   #1040
turrican9

My conclusion on retrobrighting Amiga stuff for the last couple of years is that it will re-yellow quite fast. It's not really worth the hassle.