English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 December 2008, 22:03   #81
taunusanden

My first game, bought with my first Amiga 500, was an original.
Then me and my friends discoverd X-Copy
But through the years I have bought a few originals. It's to late for me to correct this, I know. But I bought OS3.9 original last year

Back in the early 90'ies a friend and I figured out how to find the password in a .ini file on our schools 386 Win3.1 computers, that way we could use the file manager and exit to DOS and install games

I have never stolen anything from shops!
Old 13 December 2008, 00:11   #82
DoogUK
Doogster

Always used pirated software.

Chipped a zillion ps1's and several ps2's and xbox's.

Chipped hundreds of cable tv boxes....very nice little earners.

Actualy buying half-life series of games.
Old 13 December 2008, 01:38   #83
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
I stopped using my Amiga by the early 90s, since I wasn't too enthusiastic with the "buy extra Amiga hardware to keep us afloat" campaign. I also had a lovely reason to do so (a French brunette, can you argue ?).

I know some people still consider the switchers responsible for Amiga Inc. demise to some extend, but I was using my computer exclusively to play games and really good ones were starting to become more and more scarce, plus I was perfectly aware PCs were not as good by the time.

The terrible "vaporware" concept with developers pretending they were still involved, was the nail in Amiga's coffin, inmho, but that's another story.

Also, I was a bit pedantic , the elite being a kind of social class by that time. Gee, I should confess I am glad to have given up all that sh*t, even with the two years hiatus, which had me put my geekness to sleep !

...Might that tiny contribution of mine with hints, repacks, advice, tutorials (a big word, but still...), P2p shares, linux tryouts... redeem my Boing Ball related sins, at least partly

Last edited by NewDeli; 13 December 2008 at 02:13.
Old 13 December 2008, 12:26   #84
mrbob2

I have spectrums and hundreds of games, most originals as there were only 1.99 in those days, hundreds of original amiga games fully boxed but thousands of adfs and copied disks. 3 playstations with 30 originals but over 200 copied disks and isos. 2 playstation 2s with 20ish originals and 1 chipped machine but couldnt be bothered getting many games, only 3 copies. 60 plus pc games, a few downloads/copies but once again, originals are soo cheap these days. A PSP with 10 oiginals and 4 downloaded games (machine custom f/w) just rubbish games and hardly any new releases worth getting. A nintendo DS with every game ever released spread over 5 8gb cards and HDD(uk and us) Now a ps3 with 5 originals. PS3 cant be chipped and only get a few games so im happy to get 2nd hand originals.

can anyone erm, beat that for being naughty?
Old 13 December 2008, 12:50   #85
BippyM
Global Moderator

*cough* I ordered a 19" widescreen monitor to go with a PC I have built for someone. It arrived this morning along with: 1xDual Core Intel CPU, 1 x 4650 GFX card. 1xGigabyte Mobo, 4gb Ram and a 500watt PSU, along with a 500gb hd and a 20xDVDRW

It is addressed to me, but I have definately not paid for it..

What to do?? Contact them with a view to return or wait and see if they contact me.

The guy who has paid for it wont lose out, they'll just send it him again
Old 13 December 2008, 13:10   #86
s2325
Zone Friend

it's gift from Santa
Old 13 December 2008, 13:32   #87
DH
Global Moderator

@bippym

Keep it mate and deny all knowledge of it ever being delivered to your door

It happened to my nephew and that's exactly what he did
Old 13 December 2008, 13:34   #88
BippyM
Global Moderator

It has been signed for though
Old 13 December 2008, 13:34   #89
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@bippy
I would wait if someone asks about the stuff Like s2325 said it's X-Mas time
Old 13 December 2008, 13:52   #90
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
It has been signed for though
Surely you only signed for your order and not the rest ?

If that is so, then they have no proof that you received the extra goodies at all.

My nephew ended up with two full systems monitors and all, like you said, he signed for them too, but it was only for the one he had ordered, presumably the other one was assumed lost in transit.

He sold the second one, as this was not the best, for quite a tidy 100% profit. Mind he kept it for 6 months first.
Old 13 December 2008, 14:12   #91
AmigaFriend

Bippy you damned b******!

How come Santa came sooo early to you this year?

Well do has is said. Keep it and see if someone knock your door. If yes, then deny it vehemently!

Then invite Santa for a cup of tea, whoever he is
Old 13 December 2008, 14:33   #92
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Bippy, I would advise you to keep it. I'm very not aware of UK laws, but I guess all West-European countries have pretty similar laws. My brother is a lawyer here in Switzerland and we had this chat about something different but that was exactly the same kind of situation, and the final word is:

You are absolutely out of any risk of having to give it back or even being sued or anything. Actually you're out of any trouble. The chat with my brother was about companies that used the trick of sending you goods you didn't order, and then ask you to pay for it and threaten you to sue you if you didn't. The thing is you received something you didn't ask for. It's not your responsibility at all. In your case of a wrong delivery, it's either the shop's responsibility, or the delivery company's responsibility. All in all, they have to cover their own mistakes, and you're perfectly safe.

So I would say, send a thanks card to Santa but maybe would be better to ask somebody in the UK to confirm that it works the same as in Switzerland, if you know any lawyer or knowledgeable person around you.

PS: lucky bastard
Old 13 December 2008, 15:00   #93
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Surely you only signed for your order and not the rest ?

If that is so, then they have no proof that you received the extra goodies at all.

My nephew ended up with two full systems monitors and all, like you said, he signed for them too, but it was only for the one he had ordered, presumably the other one was assumed lost in transit.

He sold the second one, as this was not the best, for quite a tidy 100% profit. Mind he kept it for 6 months first.
Well the missus answered the door and signed for 3 parcels. Monitor, Cable and this other box, which has my name and address on, but I didn't pay for it

She was half asleep when she answered (She was on nights, and postie woke her up) so she could say she signed for 2 but didn't look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgeek View Post
Bippy, I would advise you to keep it. I'm very not aware of UK laws, but I guess all West-European countries have pretty similar laws. My brother is a lawyer here in Switzerland and we had this chat about something different but that was exactly the same kind of situation, and the final word is:

You are absolutely out of any risk of having to give it back or even being sued or anything. Actually you're out of any trouble. The chat with my brother was about companies that used the trick of sending you goods you didn't order, and then ask you to pay for it and threaten you to sue you if you didn't. The thing is you received something you didn't ask for. It's not your responsibility at all. In your case of a wrong delivery, it's either the shop's responsibility, or the delivery company's responsibility. All in all, they have to cover their own mistakes, and you're perfectly safe.

So I would say, send a thanks card to Santa but maybe would be better to ask somebody in the UK to confirm that it works the same as in Switzerland, if you know any lawyer or knowledgeable person around you.

PS: lucky bastard

Not sure on the UK laws
Old 13 December 2008, 15:02   #94
DH
Global Moderator

Just sit tight 'n' if no-one comes knocking at your door within 6 months I would think you are 100% safe with the goods
Old 13 December 2008, 15:10   #95
BippyM
Global Moderator

6 months.. They have 6 days

I have just priced up the parts and we are talking £400
Old 13 December 2008, 15:34   #96
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys I have just done some checking and the parcel has two addresses on it. The shop put 2 addresses on. Mine and this other. Odd....
Old 13 December 2008, 16:13   #97
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
Do the right thing and contact the shop. If the situation was reversed and you was the one waiting for the parcel that will never arrive how would you feel.
Old 13 December 2008, 16:19   #98
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i agree with Dimlow.

maybe i'm just old-fashioned.
Old 13 December 2008, 17:13   #99
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Quote:
Do the right thing and contact the shop. If the situation was reversed and you was the one waiting for the parcel that will never arrive how would you feel.
Not like the shop was gonna trace the parcel and not deliver it to the person waiting for it until the other one is found....they will send a new one straightaway. I'd say it's a matter of personal opinion, but myself what is sure is that I pay way enough things, sometimes overpriced because I can't do anyway else, to accept a gift when fortune puts it ringing at my door

It's not a matter of being right or wrong. You're not gonna hurt anyone. The shop is not gonna close business because of you. The person that originally ordered the goods will receive them late in all cases - you give the goods back or not. All in all, you're not doing anything bad and it will have no consequence whatsoever...excepted an effect on you, if you feel you're doing something bad. But I truly think you shouldn't...one has to be a little bit selfish from time to time.
Old 13 December 2008, 17:55   #100
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

if the value of the items was no more than say... £30 .. a couple of DVDs or something... then yes, i would agree.

However, we are talking about the theft (because that is exactly what it is in the eyes of the law) of £400 of computer equipment, which i have to say seems 'wrong' to me.