Going nowhere

Looks really nice
Old 24 August 2022, 19:25   #83
demoniac

Very good indeed!
Old 14 September 2022, 00:55   #84
DanielAllsopp

Update #8

Not a lot to write about here, or show with screenshots but I've pretty much finished my intro sequence, along with the integration of the main title which rotates through to the highscores if left alone, as well as the addition of an options menu (which will hopefully please everyone ) and the prologue leading to the game.

I've taken some artistic liberties in this update, mainly by adding some title music from RoboCop 3, changing the (terrible!?) wording from the arcade game in the prologue and adding some more RoboCop 3 assets for the Media Break, which will lead straight into the game.

Which is what I will be concentrating all efforts on from now on!

As always, here's the link to a bit of completed intro/menu/options/prologue footage. Music volume need some tweaking but that can wait for now. Enjoy.

[ Show youtube player ]

Shout outs and big thanks for help during this little phase belong to:
- the dudes who did the RoboCop 3 assets back in the day. DID?
Old 14 September 2022, 01:10   #85
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

For an AGA game, funny to see OCS & ECS in the option screen
Old 14 September 2022, 01:12   #86
ransom1122

I don't think RoboCop 3 Music for RoboCop 1 works well.. Maybe keep the Speech of the original intro from 500 version and clone the arcade intro music into the game instead...

With Robo3 Music, it feels like your starting to play Robo3 not 1..

Other then that the game is looking superb
Old 15 September 2022, 14:17   #87
skyzoo73

Fantastic work, the intro is the same, even better! I have seen a lot of interesting options in the game menu and I can only be happy about that! keep it up !
Old 15 September 2022, 14:51   #88
scu98rkr

think the music goes quite well myself.
Old 29 September 2022, 01:35   #89
DanielAllsopp

Update #9

I surprise myself sometimes; only a couple of weeks between the last update and this one!

Not a lot to explain here, but mostly bug fixes (some embarrassingly major ones too!) and the results of what I said I'd do on the last update, namely transitioning from the two "scenes", i.e. from the intro scenes to the game scenes. I've done quite a bit of refactoring to make this work such as introducing the "Ready Player One" screen, freeing and loading of different assets etc, and as I said, fixed a few bugs along the way.

What you can see, eventually, on this video is some of the refactor work I've done to the main RoboCop sprite. RoboCop can now jump (not sure if it looks a little floaty, but will tweak later), punch, crouch and generally have a fun time.

Another addition I did was to expand my screen transitions to draw a scene line by line, starting from the middle and expanding outwards towards the top and bottom of the screen. After many trial and error situations I actually ended up with something quite simple; setting the screen up normally by rendering the whole view to the back buffer, switching off the buffer swap functionality, and then blitting from the back buffer to the front buffer line by line (I think it's 3 each frame) until the screen is complete, then switching the buffer switching back on and away we go. Seamless!

Next up, I've got to finish a few of RoboCop's moves, there are a few glitches I've hidden from this video, and then I can start updating my "bad guys code" and get some actual gameplay in there! So, that'll be next... if I don't get distracted!

[ Show youtube player ]

- I don't think I actually asked anyone for help this time around! Either I must be getting better with this 68k stuff, or it was all a relatively simple job!
Old 29 September 2022, 10:17   #90
jotd
This cat is no more

Great stuff.

68k coding gets in the way at first, but I also discovered that coding and coding and coding, sometimes you get the coding 100% working the first time. The problems then revolve around game logic, assets, ... like any other language.
Old 29 September 2022, 11:01   #91
roondar

Looks quite cool as always. Looking forward to the gameplay
Old 18 October 2022, 01:21   #92
DanielAllsopp

Update #10

I'm actually back into the game mechanics instead of all that intro and title screen guff, and it's been a bit of a rollercoaster; lots of ups but equally lots of downs too!

First off, I've refactored all of my old 'goons' code, that's code for controlling the bad guys, so it's a lot more robust. Amongst other bits of functionality they now appear in the correct place in the game world by taking the scrolling into consideration. I can spawn up to three at a time and only use a little more than half of my raster time up, and that includes blitting RoboCop too. These are relatively large blitter objects coming in at 32x60 pixels in 64 colours, and maybe there's some optimising to be done later but I'm quite happy with that result for now.

Talking of spawning the goons, I've also implemented a new layer into my map data, which I edit using Tiled, where I've defined all of the spawn points from the arcade version, including the spot "Drop It" speech samples.

There's some rudimentary collision detection in there now as well, just to test the bounding boxes between RoboCop and the goons. That's a pretty simple affair using the 68020's CMP2 instruction which works quite well.

As I alluded to earlier, there was also a massive issue with the double-buffering system; i.e. when I finally got to the bottom of it with some help from the usual suspects, found out it was completely broken. I'm surprised it worked at all, but basically it boiled down to:

1. Swapping my buffers but not instructing the copper to momentarily pause until the buffers had likely been swapped, which caused the copper to use the old buffer data
2. Only using 1 buffer restore pointer when in fact I actually needed two pointers; one for the odd frames and one for the even frames. I should have read up more on this system in the first place.

That resulted in something like this:

Once all of that was fixed I could add the changes to the goons and RoboCop code and here we have the results of my first run through with all of the "Runner" goons at their correct spawn points (watch out for one glitch I've just noticed tonight too):

[ Show youtube player ]

- mcgeezer, a/b: Massive help, hints, pointers and general greatness for helping me debug the double-buffering code!
Old 18 October 2022, 08:28   #93
Havie

Looks amazing. Keep it up!
Old 18 October 2022, 08:36   #94
vulture

Awesome progress
Old 18 October 2022, 09:27   #95
roondar

This is looking very nice as usual, great to see some gameplay progress
Old 18 October 2022, 10:54   #96
S0ulA55a551n

Its amazing to me what one coder ( with the aforementioned help) can achieve with an A1200 , this goes for others like McGeezer too.

Just goes to show what the A1200 could have been if the stars had aligned, could have easily competed with SNES/Megadrive in some respects.

Anyway great work , really enjoying following this thread
Old 18 October 2022, 10:58   #97
manossg

Great stuff!
Old 18 October 2022, 11:00   #98
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
This will be awesome !
Old 18 October 2022, 13:44   #99
malko
Ex nihilo nihil