English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 June 2023, 19:02   #81
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
anywayaa predseda surprised how? amigabill gets off on being "chummy" with amiga "celebrities" the number one fan boy. everyone else whosing support in this video is clearly just delighted to be approached by a "commodore person"
Yep. People easily let down their guard if somebody 'important' tells them it's a good idea.
Old 05 June 2023, 19:25   #82
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
It's even called AGA... lol.
Imma sue the shit out of them!
Old 05 June 2023, 19:28   #83
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Imma sue the shit out of them!

Ahhh now it feels like a proper Amiga initiative
Old 05 June 2023, 20:01   #84
mcgeezer

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Amiga community the way it is, we get decent games of late, dev competitions, magazines, hardware and events throughout the year, times have never been better for Amiga fans since 1992.

And then DP comes along and wants people to pay for the pleasure of being in the community. What the actual FUCK?

Having perused at the Kickstarter page which I might add is comedy in itself, along with the progress of the "world leading website" I can safely say that I won't be a backer. It's laughable, built on a free open source CMS what the fuck do they need web developers for? You could build and secure something like this in 24 hours with Wordpress. My view on Kickstarters is that the key project should be about 95% delivered anyway.... this isn't even 1% done, it's a complete bag of shit.

What annoys me is that free resources are listed on the website already, so they'd be profiting from great resources like the EAB and WinUAE. Then there's the whole directory thing which is a farce because retro.directory is already an amazing free resource along with the FB groups.

I see this Kickstarter is nothing more than a promotional campaign to shift his books, the whole subscription thing won't work and I reckon he knows it, he's done plenty of presentations about it so must have gathered feedback.

All of those who've endorsed this need to hang their heads in shame because you're just trying to exploit the good work of the Amiga community.

This is the sort of shit that certainly doesn't want me to make my next game.

While I'm at it, DP is some sort of ambassador to a Friend OS which is an open source collaborative cloud platform, some of his mates are involved in this thing too... but what pisses me off is that when he goes to events he doesn't talk about the Amiga, he promoted FriendOS... completely unrelated to the Amiga..... WTF!!!

Geezer
Old 05 June 2023, 22:07   #85
Bren McGuire

here here mcgeezer although i am sad that this kind of clownish behaviour makes you doubt about making more amiga stuff although i completely understand

i didnt realize they would be pinching the resources that are already out there for free this is incredibly predatory and indeed all these people supporting this move should be very ashamed. but my guess is dont care as they love to lick boots and get youtube recognition

silver lining here i did not know retro.directory thank you for sharing that! what an amazing website!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
And then DP comes along and wants people to pay for the pleasure of being in the community. What the actual FUCK?

Having perused at the Kickstarter page which I might add is comedy in itself, along with the progress of the "world leading website" I can safely say that I won't be a backer. It's laughable, built on a free open source CMS what the fuck do they need web developers for? You could build and secure something like this in 24 hours with Wordpress. My view on Kickstarters is that the key project should be about 95% delivered anyway.... this isn't even 1% done, it's a complete bag of shit.

What annoys me is that free resources are listed on the website already, so they'd be profiting from great resources like the EAB and WinUAE. Then there's the whole directory thing which is a farce because retro.directory is already an amazing free resource along with the FB groups.

I see this Kickstarter is nothing more than a promotional campaign to shift his books, the whole subscription thing won't work and I reckon he knows it, he's done plenty of presentations about it so must have gathered feedback.

All of those who've endorsed this need to hang their heads in shame because you're just trying to exploit the good work of the Amiga community.

This is the sort of shit that certainly doesn't want me to make my next game.
Old 05 June 2023, 22:26   #86
oscar_ates

DP was a marketing guy, He does not use or understand Amiga or other computers. He had better vision than the clowns like Mehdi, Gould, and Sydnes definitely but at the end what he was doing was pushing Amiga boxes to market
Old 05 June 2023, 22:33   #87
Nightfox

DP almost won the Amiga IP after Commodore went bust but he was outbid. I wonder how different things would be if he won the auction
Old 05 June 2023, 23:40   #88
h0ffman

The thing to remember is that whatever happens with this thing it means nothing to us. The amiga has and always will be a free and open platform which means we can do whatever we like.
Old 06 June 2023, 00:51   #89
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

If this Kickstarter was an attempt at consolidating trademarks and IP under a single "Commodore" or "Amiga" brand to produce new 68K based Amiga hardware, I'd be excited. But given all the disputes over licenses and IP (and other stuff I don't understand), I'd say that would be impossible unfortunately.

Last edited by sean_sk; 06 June 2023 at 00:56.
Old 06 June 2023, 02:33   #90
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Would be nice if they teamed up to buy every Commodore Amiga classic property licenses like the WB or the kickstarts and make them open source or free to the public.
Other than that, I fail to see the point.
Fully agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
All of those who've endorsed this need to hang their heads in shame
Quote:
all these people supporting this move should be very ashamed!
I don't think many of these people even know they supported this.
Take, for example: Dave Haynie.
I think DP mentioned to him of this initiative, and Haynie was like: "Yeah.. sure.. ok.. whatever..." .
And then DP puts his picture on Kickstarter as adviser.

Just my opinion, apologies to DP and DH, if above is not correct.
Old 06 June 2023, 03:16   #91
lmimmfn

I'm with mcgeezer on this.
Not only does it turn currently free info which benefits us all into a locked paid for subscription service it's also completely undermining the work done since the Amigas demise by the likes of eab, amibay etc.

Not only is this completely negative its purpose is to split the Amiga fan base further into some have not and elite paying subscribers who have the info.

Sorry but piss off DP and look for some other way to monetize your work for Commodore/Amiga!!!

On the topic of Friend OS, while I have nothing against it, for me it's just another OS and one that I've 0 interest in. Dan Wood(on the testimonial list in the KS) is also an ambassador for Friend OS.

My view on this is that it's a cynical money grab to monetize what exists already for free and to block it behind a pay wall.

Can you image it? Important technical info from the likes of "ross" and co being completely inaccessible unless you pay snd maintain a subscription.

DP wants his head examined!

Last edited by lmimmfn; 06 June 2023 at 03:32.
Old 06 June 2023, 03:46   #92
arcanist

I'm not sure I understand the premise that there's a need or desire to centralize the things proposed in this Kickstarter.

Where David sees fragmentation I see distribution of people, ideas, projects, passion, (politics, money...). We come together to share these things where we see value. The results, particularly in recent years, speak for themselves.
Old 06 June 2023, 04:14   #93
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Hmmm ... if this was back in the mid 90`s it might have been a good idea but now we have established websites already, all it takes is a quick Google search to find what you need and even have three print magazines providing a lot of support. The Amiga scene is in the best position it has ever been at this very moment, at least I feel so, having the AGA feels almost like Star Wars Galactic(Amiga) Empire-esque. Sad to see well-known Amiga users putting their name to something like this after all that the Amiga scene has suffered over the years.
Old 06 June 2023, 04:32   #94
grelbfarlk

Give me money and I'll make a website. It will be a really good website. Um... would it be that good that I'd charge subscriptions to it? YES! Not having done anything yet, I can say without a doubt that you would pay me money to maintain it.
Old 06 June 2023, 08:52   #95
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
It will be interesting to see how many of those “advisors” begin to distance themselves from this.
The KS page is simply a veiled attempt to shift copies of DP’s books.
Old 06 June 2023, 09:10   #96
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Give me money and I'll make a website. It will be a really good website. Um... would it be that good that I'd charge subscriptions to it? YES! Not having done anything yet, I can say without a doubt that you would pay me money to maintain it.
That's what a lot of venture capitalists heard around the turn of the millenium
Old 06 June 2023, 09:39   #97
Amigajay

Whilst i don’t agree with the idea, i also don’t like to see people get slagged off, we can all be civil and agree or disagree about things.

Back to the idea, whilst in theory IF the userbase was much bigger, and things were less organised and information was not freely available there would be a starting point, but as others have said it’s not two decades ago. And whilst the Amiga scene is divided in both hardware, software and social media ‘areas’ it still has places it comes together like trade shows and magazines so its not like they are doing anything thats not in place already.

Lastly, i agree with the KS being very confusing, and the fact physical books being sold are part of the ‘money pot’, i can understand digital as there is no loss there to entice people. And for example if they made £5000, take away such and such for the books, 35% for the people behind it, which leaves what exactly? And for what? Its not been thought out, and not been explained well enough, but perhaps that was part of the plan so no promises have actually been made…
Old 06 June 2023, 13:38   #98
Daytona675x

Maybe I missed something but to me this sounds as if this would result in some closed club where only regularly paying members get all benefits, not so open at all. Although I still didn't really understand what those benefits are in the first place
Early access and discounts to whatever "products" and a membership-certificate? Mkay...

Also, I don't find it particularly hard to get any Amiga related info. Everything is just one or two web- or forum-searchs away. And if you get stuck, just open a thread in your favorite forum and you're being served. Also, we got Aminet, os4depot, AmiBay whatever. I at least see no need for another "directory".

Also, there's lots of Amiga activity happening. All those users and especially developers don't seem to struggle too hard to get their stuff done. So from my perspective this AGA project tries to solve problems which don't really exist or have been solved enough already, most of them for decades.

That being said I'm absolutely sure that at least people like Amiga Bill and Paolo D'Urso act in good faith.
Not so sure about the project founder though, the whole thing just has a very weird smell, not just because DP apparently has two Kickstarter accounts in active use (I asume that's the reason). It all appears as thought through as if it was a quick shot resulting from last weekend's regular table in DP's favorite pub

Last edited by Daytona675x; 06 June 2023 at 14:24.
Old 06 June 2023, 14:46   #99
Bren McGuire

really? how about those that show up in the very same video linked at the first post? totally guilty
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I don't think many of these people even know they supported this.
how can anyone in good faith put their face and words vouching for something that very clearly is a monet grabbing scam? seems to me like these people would do anything just to get some "internet fame" or whatever and people cutting them some slack is just as damaging, most of these people dont even contribute anything of worth to the amiga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona675x View Post
That being said I'm absolutely sure that at least people like Amiga Bill and Paolo D'Urso act in good faith.
Old 06 June 2023, 15:33   #100
d4rk3lf

Quote:
really? how about those that show up in the very same video linked at the first post? totally guilty
it's a little bit confusing when you answer above people you quote.

You won't be addressing me with that tone once I get my AGA membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona675x View Post
Maybe I missed something but to me this sounds as if this would result in some closed club where only regularly paying members get all benefits, not so open at all. Although I still didn't really understand what those benefits are in the first place
Let me explain.
If me and you decide to make Amiga game, instead of using PM's here, we can pay Aga membership and do Pm's there.
And it will be the best site ever.