English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 24 December 2002, 19:22   #81
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
I scanned the whole site - there isn't...yet.
I agree that with every project in the world, the (main) members of the project should be named somewhere.
I don't think any of us care about fame, even the guy that basically made CAPS possible, who, above everybody else deserves it!

We just love Amiga games and now preserving them, our vision is coming reality.

On a different note, a new release soon.
Old 24 December 2002, 19:38   #82
fiath

Hi manicx! Here is the info:

SCANNING:

This is the scanning requirements for CAPS. I believe we need this stuff at a higher resolution that HOL (?), so if you can at this resolution, you can contribute to both!

Okay, we need Box (front, back and sides), manual, disk (for the label ;-), protection cards and anything else in the box. If you don't know what to do with something then just let us know!

The only thing you need to know is they should be scanned at ***300 dpi***.

File formats:
For high colour/detail scans, please use JPEG at 80-90 % quality.
If stuff is low-colour, or just text, then PNG should be used to avoid the artifacting of the JPEG format. Black and white stuff should be scanned in greyscale.

We should have a page up before long that explains about printing, and how the above requirements fit into it.
Old 24 December 2002, 21:54   #83
Konrad

One thing about protection codes: Breathless for example has a light red sheet with a bit lighter symbols on it. Hard to scan and just to see if you adjust color balance and contrast.
Similiar for TMNT. It has black paper with black gloss text.

I'm just curious what one has to do in this case: manipulate the picture himself or send it to you directly and you manage the rest ?
Old 24 December 2002, 22:12   #84
fiath

We supply two versions in the release, one original scan, the other, "print" version.
Old 25 December 2002, 17:21   #85
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Marz, they are preserving ALL Amiga games, as bit rot can occur on any disk, regardless of disk format.

@CAPS Team
Old 26 December 2002, 18:09   #86
v8juice

Just downloaded the 4 files, now what? Can't seem to figure out how to decode them...
Old 26 December 2002, 18:38   #87
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by v8juice
Just downloaded the 4 files, now what? Can't seem to figure out how to decode them...
Maybe dec0de12 can help
(ugh, I admit that was quite an indigestive one, hehe )

Seriously, open a DOS box, cd to the directory where you've downloaded the stuff and type:

[EDIT] Thanks to Belgarath for the suggestions to make it easier!
Code:
C:\> copy /b virus.zip.* virus.zip
This creates a file named virus.zip which you can open, e. g. with WinZip!
Note that the default order is alphabetically, so it WILL combine the file chunks using the correct order!

Last edited by andreas; 31 December 2002 at 21:19.
Old 28 December 2002, 15:19   #88
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Question

Its possible to wright back this images to a disk ?
Old 28 December 2002, 15:40   #89
MethodGit

I think that was one of their main priorities to this whole project, Carlos.
Old 28 December 2002, 16:45   #90
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Ace
Not yet Still Work in Progress
Old 28 December 2002, 23:51   #91
Fjrb

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Ace
Boas

Sim, esse é um dos factores principais da CAPS, as imagens IPF serão mais tarde possiveis de remasterizar para uma diskette. Neste momento apenas falta criar a dita ferramenta. As IPF já contêm toda a informação para recriar os originais - essa era a parte mais dificil !

Talvez no primeiro semestre \ trimestre do próximo ano. Existem muitas releases por fazer e como será facil de adivinhar consomem bastante tempo ... há ainda algum trabalho em coisas que o pessoal de fora não pode saber e que também consomem o seu tempo à CAPS.

Com a aplicação de remasterização, bastará uma IPF, uma diskette, e eis o milagre. É algo que ainda à meses era considerado impossivel, e a preservação de originais protegidos completemente condenada a ser perdida no tempo.

Tentar alguma info suplementar em www.caps-project.org
Old 28 December 2002, 23:55   #92
MethodGit

Heh, guess it's easier and cleverer to communicate to him through his native tongue...

I notice that it's frequently this guy called "Big G" who ups the CAPS releases to a.b.e.amiga. Does he/she happen to be a member of the team by any chance?
Old 28 December 2002, 23:55   #93
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Quote:
Originally posted by v8juice
Geeze, take my afternoon nap & see what happens... I notice it's also in alt.binaries.emulators.amiga...
Someone beat me to uploading it on abe.amiga
Old 29 December 2002, 00:02   #94
MethodGit

Two more questions:

1) Don't CAPS archives usually offer JPGs of all sides of a game box? Why does BTTF II only feature the top and left sides of the box? Are the bottom and right ones 100% identical?

2) Are you concentrating solely on single-disk games first or will the next release happen to be a 2-disk game?
Old 29 December 2002, 00:14   #95
Fjrb

Quote:
Originally posted by MethodGit
Two more questions:

1) Don't CAPS archives usually offer JPGs of all sides of a game box? Why does BTTF II only feature the top and left sides of the box? Are the bottom and right ones 100% identical?

2) Are you concentrating solely on single-disk games first or will the next release happen to be a 2-disk game?
2) Yes. That is true, not for much long though. We held 2 disk games a bit and because we plan ahead and 1 disk games took all the early slots.

I'll left 1) for Fiath
Old 29 December 2002, 00:32   #96
fiath

Quote:
Two more questions:

Yes, only when they are exactly the same are they not scanned / included in the archive. This is what the "rotate = 180" is in the XML - indicating that by doing that operation, you can get that side too.

This is for use by frontends.
Old 29 December 2002, 01:54   #97
fiath

Quote:
I notice that it's frequently this guy called "Big G" who ups the CAPS releases to a.b.e.amiga. Does he/she happen to be a member of the team by any chance?
I do not know who "Big G" is... It must be a contributor I guess. It could be a number of people, or none of them. I don't really care though, it is not our business to question what people do with games they own.
Old 29 December 2002, 09:17   #98
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Quote:
Originally posted by Fjrb
Boas

Sim, esse é um dos factores principais da CAPS, as imagens IPF serão mais tarde possiveis de remasterizar para uma diskette. Neste momento apenas falta criar a dita ferramenta. As IPF já contêm toda a informação para recriar os originais - essa era a parte mais dificil !

Talvez no primeiro semestre \ trimestre do próximo ano. Existem muitas releases por fazer e como será facil de adivinhar consomem bastante tempo ... há ainda algum trabalho em coisas que o pessoal de fora não pode saber e que também consomem o seu tempo à CAPS.

Com a aplicação de remasterização, bastará uma IPF, uma diskette, e eis o milagre. É algo que ainda à meses era considerado impossivel, e a preservação de originais protegidos completemente condenada a ser perdida no tempo.

Tentar alguma info suplementar em www.caps-project.org
Cool
Obrigado pelos esclarecimentos. Embora já tivesse contactado os membros da CAPS, era para saber mais para quando era possivel.
Ainda bem que não sou o único Lusitano por estas paragens, e ainda por cima do Norte.

Thanx for the info my friend

Amigaboy Says:
oi! ENGLISH Amiga Board people! If you need to communicate in any other language, the PM system is just what you need

RCK Says:
+1 warning points on their two accounts. :P

Last edited by Carlos Ace; 29 December 2002 at 09:27.
Old 29 December 2002, 12:45   #99
RCK
Administrator

Question

@Toni & Caps-Team: what about one kind of ipz format (ipf zipped) supported by winuae + CAPSimg.dll ?

It's a pain to keep these 10Mb files for each game
Old 29 December 2002, 13:20   #100
Fjrb

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
@Toni & Caps-Team: what about one kind of ipz format (ipf zipped) supported by winuae + CAPSimg.dll ?

It's a pain to keep these 10Mb files for each game
Hmm ... by now the real 'zip' interest would be to access Ipf file within a zip archive directly - pretty much like MAME does. There's some technicalities involved that haven't allowed that.

As for the Ipf itself, well, anyone can grab the Ipf out of the Zip and just use it, they're usually pretty small even when compared to Adz, Zipped Adf, et cetera.

So one doesn't really have to keep the 10 meg thing. They can rip the Ipf out and just use that.

I'll point out thought that the real enterest is keeping them, let's say, when numbers get to that, all in a CD-Rom. Let's say you had 100 games you contributed to CAPS and got back 100 CAPS releases back, you can keep them on CD-Rom, by volumes, and from there you get the games the 700 megs allow per CD, plus all the great stuff they came with. Which will certainly look better and cooler when there's something equivalent to the MAME32 and frontends.

For the bandwidth impaired, hard disk needin' pals, they can just keep their Ipf's.