English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 16 June 2023, 14:17   #81
jotd
This cat is no more

thanks! Update is pending to fix what Stuart reported (doesn't change gameplay)
Old 17 June 2023, 02:30   #82
Bren McGuire

amazing work! can we have gaplus/galaga'90 next? that would look alot more amiga-ish
Old 17 June 2023, 08:38   #83
jotd
This cat is no more

I was thinking maybe Galaga, but Galaga 88/90 is a different kind of fish. I wouldn't want to Tiertex it.

There's a X68000 version of Galaga 88. Did anyone attempt to port a X68000 game? I mean the machine is clearly more powerful, but a game like Galaga would possibly not exploit the machine at its max and could be doabe.
Old 17 June 2023, 08:54   #84
Pyromania

@jotd

Just read you learned to code two years ago. You're doing fantastic, I would have never known if you didn't mention it. What resources or books did you use to learn Amiga coding please. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Old 17 June 2023, 09:35   #85
jotd
This cat is no more

Well, it's not exactly true and maybe you're going to be disappointed

I've coded Amoric (Oric 8 bit computer emulator) in 1996 alongside with JST (before that I was hacking on A500/AR3). Then moved on to whdload slaves & game debugging. Then I coded retro-games in java, c++/SDL for modern platforms. All that gives solid background for amiga game coding.

I started coding real games for Amiga 2 years ago if you don't account for Bagman (C++, slow, I may redo it some day)... What is true is that now I've found my development model and sticking to it (python to generate sound/gfx assets, vasm to build, winuae to test). I also refused to do any amiga coding "from scratch" for all those years because I considered that too difficult, but the games I've ported are early arcade games that don't have all the challenges of Strider or other 8-way scrollers, or Final Fight or Raiden, Project-X...

So about the resources, I'd say "Amiga bible" for starters in 1992 something. Then guru book (not useful for games coding), a lot of talking with the living bibles out there on EAB (mcgeezer, A/B, ross, roondar, stingray, paraj, robinsonb5...) and experimenting a lot.
Old 20 June 2023, 08:37   #86
TjLaZer

Testing the latest version. On my A500 ECS NTSC it hangs (yes I set it to PAL mode first) Previous beta works fine on it.
Old 20 June 2023, 10:32   #87
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
There's a X68000 version of Galaga 88. Did anyone attempt to port a X68000 game? I mean the machine is clearly more powerful, but a game like Galaga would possibly not exploit the machine at its max and could be doabe.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 June 2023, 10:56   #88
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
is there some source? We know about a lot of ports to Atari (Pole Position...) but since source is never released, it's not very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Testing the latest version. On my A500 ECS NTSC it hangs (yes I set it to PAL mode first) Previous beta works fine on it.
There's a random startup bug on low memory machines that I have to find.
Old 20 June 2023, 15:48   #89
Cris1997XX

Quote:
is there some source? We know about a lot of ports to Atari (Pole Position...) but since source is never released, it's not very helpful.
Actually, now that you mention it...how about an Amiga port of Pole Position? Someone converted it for Atari STE some time ago and it's awesome, almost on par with the arcade
Old 20 June 2023, 19:25   #90
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
You can get in touch with the coder of the revamp of Outrun on Atari STE if he can give you the sources to port it
Old 21 June 2023, 15:13   #91
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Patched galaxian 500 working perfectly fine on pistorm32:

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanx to amigo/binary for helping out with searching for the cause. The cause is that pistorm32 sometimes needs double interrupt acknowledge (aparently it is a problem with some other 040 accelerators too). Devs of pistorm will check what can be done and what is the cause of this problem, hopefully someone can help out too, if anyone has experience with the problem?

Maybe this simple fix would also fix Xevious bug on pistorm32
Old 21 June 2023, 15:57   #92
jotd
This cat is no more

probably! good find. Will update both games officially
Old 21 June 2023, 16:56   #93
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
probably! good find. Will update both games officially
Thanx We will see if something can be done on the pistorm end too, might also fix some other problematic demos and games.
Old 22 June 2023, 22:45   #94
jotd
This cat is no more

updated. With some other enhancements btw.

It appears that the arcade record holder played my version and loved it He also reported a bug about the difficulty not increasing with the levels, and it turns out he was right! so I've fixed all that.

(Xevious also got an update BTW)
Old 22 June 2023, 22:59   #95
paraj

Quote:

It appears that the arcade record holder played my version and loved it He also reported a bug about the difficulty not increasing with the levels, and it turns out he was right! so I've fixed all that.

Very nice! Also shows that even with great effort from the main coder(s), good QA really helps. Probably doesn't get much better than the an record holder playing the game, but also quick shotout to testers of killing cloud and TFXAGA from me.

Getting something working is only half the battle so major props for seeing both of those projects to the end!
Old 22 June 2023, 23:05   #96
Pyromania

Quote:

Now it’s even harder to play? Ouches!
Old 22 June 2023, 23:28   #97
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Very nice! Also shows that even with great effort from the main coder(s), good QA really helps. Probably doesn't get much better than the an record holder playing the game, but also quick shotout to testers of killing cloud and TFXAGA from me.

Getting something working is only half the battle so major props for seeing both of those projects to the end!

yes, exposing your work to the community is a must do!

And always Murphy"s law. Some bug goes unnoticed because it doesn't crash the game and is barely noticeable but to experts!
Old 23 June 2023, 06:45   #98
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Thanks for the updated versions. Now both Galaxian500 and Xevious work perfectly without any issues on pistorm32 Lots of users happy.

Thanks for releasing the source code. It made me look into it and get help with the patching to see what is causing it. In the end everyone is better off.

If (or better when) this gets fixed on the pistorm side it might fix some other games that have problems with gfx and audio because of unack-ed interrupts We will soon see the impact.
Old 23 June 2023, 08:46   #99
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
yes, exposing your work to the community is a must do!
Old 14 July 2023, 06:49   #100
Pyromania

Rampage would be a good game to convert to Amiga.