English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 June 2004, 12:10   #81
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
This is nearly post number 80. The last time someone mentioned a game they thought was overrated was number 34. Over half this thread has degenerated into "I can't believe you didn't like this excellent game!" / "I can! It sucked!" / "No it didn't! How can you say that?" / "I can say what I like; it sucked ass! Ner." etc etc etc.
And posts 57, 63 and 64
Old 06 June 2004, 13:25   #82
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyweakywoo
Come on lets hear about those over rated game. You know the ones, everyone in the world loves it but you just cant stand it. Well nows you chance to share your over rated games rants with us.

I'm just interested to know why you hate the game. Please dont 'stick up' for a game if you love it and some one calls it over rated, I'd rather this was just a rant, not a debate (WAR!).

I've never quoted myself before, quite an odd feeling. Just a reminder of what the topic is.

And yes I know that the debate isn’t about a specific game, but it’s having the same thread distracting effect.
Old 06 June 2004, 14:47   #83
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Lotus Trilogy. Maybe if Lotus had null-modem 2 player then it might not have been so bad, but those 2-player on the same screen games were ugly, no matter how technically marvellous.
Ouch!

Lotus 2 has nullmodem for a total of four racers, if you can stand the slowdown.

Twas great fun. :-)
Old 02 July 2006, 21:52   #84
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Xenon 2 - what crap graphics, they are all just shades of brown! Too much inertia of the player's ship, making it annoying to control.

Assassin, Strider, Gods, Alien Breed series - both rather crap I'm afraid.

Wings of Fury - very average, why does everyone think this is good?

Any Vulcan games - Absolute crap. I know the Amiga games scene was in a bit of a lull at the time but it was inexcusable for the reviewers to knowingly give such a crap game a high score.

Worms - why exactly is this supposed to be good?

Zool - it's OK but, as has been said, no Sonic-beater.

SWIV - bog-standard shoot-em-up, gimme Hybris (or Silkworm or Flying Shark) any day.

Superfrog - it's OK I guess but the way everyone raves on about it you would think it was really great!
Old 03 July 2006, 15:12   #85
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

YEAH, my thread lives!!!!
Old 04 July 2006, 12:08   #86
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

over rated Amiga games.... yeah i can think a few

GLOOM: > complete let down and in no way equal to DOOM
Reasons:
1 poor level design
2 poor graphics
3 dire sound / music *

( *if it wanst lifted from aliens or doom it was banged out in a garage )

Brethless: > what an earth were they thinking????
Reasons:
1 Cracktros had better 3d elements in them
2 Huge unfinished feel to the game
3 Buggy and likely to crash often

Quake060: > even with 060 power and CV643D gfx, its a pig!
Reasons:
1 its Frames per minute not second*
2 All of the yummy but no delivery,... like a strip tease
3 interface was slow (could be coz poor frame rate)

*even in 320x240 paltry 12fps, Imagine renders faster!!!!!

Wonderboy: > Nothing like the arcade!!!!!!!
reasons:
1 the levels are too quick and easy
2 colours are out
3 enemies arnt the same!!!

R-Type: > WTF were they thinking, did they even play the arcade game?
reasons:
1 that dont look that much like r-type
2 hmm levels not right
3 errr bosses are suposed to be bigger and HARDER
4 thats some sh*t scrolling
5 HELLO enemies have attack patterns!!!!!!
6 I could go on and on *

* but i would be banned for flooding this post!!!!

MI 2025: OMFG!!!! i thought i left 8 bit crap behind on the binotone
1 this game is dire beyond the word could portray.
2 wheres the level designer at? out on holiday ?
3 its harder to play simon says console thingy
4 How anyone could compare it to Flashback!?!?!??!?!?!

may edit later... but these games stick in my mind more
Old 04 July 2006, 12:44   #87
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
Xenon 2 - what crap graphics, they are all just shades of brown! Too much inertia of the player's ship, making it annoying to control.

Assassin, Strider, Gods, Alien Breed series - both rather crap I'm afraid.

Wings of Fury - very average, why does everyone think this is good?

Any Vulcan games - Absolute crap. I know the Amiga games scene was in a bit of a lull at the time but it was inexcusable for the reviewers to knowingly give such a crap game a high score.

Worms - why exactly is this supposed to be good?

Zool - it's OK but, as has been said, no Sonic-beater.

SWIV - bog-standard shoot-em-up, gimme Hybris (or Silkworm or Flying Shark) any day.

Superfrog - it's OK I guess but the way everyone raves on about it you would think it was really great!
Do you honestly think most of these games are crap ( Zool was crap ) or are you just trying to be different?. I would be very curious what games you consider to be good ? . lol

As for Worms, didnt you ever try playing it with 2 players?
Old 04 July 2006, 13:17   #88
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
GLOOM: > complete let down and in no way equal to DOOM
Forgot to mention all the Doom-style games. As a genre these games are all very boring. Xybots was probably the only good game in this style that I can think of. On any platform.

Quote:
MI2025
Hmmm, are you talking about Impossible Mission 2025 I presume? Yeah, I always thought this one was rather naff, at least it has IM1 built-in though so it's not a total loss.

Re. Wonderboy (Super Wonderboy in Monsterland presumably?) and R-Type: I always thought these were considered among the better-converted coin-ops. Now that I have MAME+UAE I might compare them side-by-side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Do you honestly think most of these games are crap or are you just trying to be different?.
I wish they were good, but I'm afraid they're not...Come on, you're not really going to try to tell me you like that Vulcan crap are you? Even the reviewers admitted it was crap once the good games started coming through again...

Quote:
I would be very curious what games you consider to be good ? . lol
Did you read the 'underrated games' thread? BTW those are not all the good games, they are the good+underrated games.

Quote:
Zool was crap
Zool (& Superfrog) are actually probably the best games out of those I mentioned here.

Quote:
As for Worms, didnt you ever try playing it with 2 players?
No, still waiting for Kaillera to be finished. But most games that allow simultaneous 2-player mode are better in that mode, it doesn't really prove anything to say this. So it might be alright in 2p mode but not in 1p mode, whereas a lot of other games (eg. Turbo, Firepower, Gauntlet 2, Stunt Car Racer etc.) are fun in either mode. The only game I would say is crap in 1p mode but great for 2p is Vectorball, this is because the controls are not very good, playing with 2p means this problem affects both players equally, restoring game balance.
Old 04 July 2006, 13:45   #89
BippyM
Global Moderator

Remember guys. we are all different so we all have our own ideas of what games are under/over-rated.. what is good/crap etc..

Just because Minuous doesn't like certain games doesn't mean they are crap or over-rated, and it also doesn't mean that others wont like them.

Everyone is different, that's what makes these threads so interesting
Old 04 July 2006, 15:51   #90
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Couldnt have put it better myself Bippy, the thread idea was to read about why people didnt like games that got alot of praise while trying to resist the urge to defend the games I loved.
Old 04 July 2006, 15:59   #91
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Bah, what do you know? You only play girly (cute) platformers :P
Old 04 July 2006, 16:05   #92
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Come on, you're not really going to try to tell me you like that Vulcan crap are you? Even the reviewers admitted it was crap once the good games started coming through again...
Ive gotta agree there!. Valhalla was not a bad little game and i found the speech quite amusing, but yeah i didnt get into any of thier other games at all!!.. And although Genetic Species ( which i loved ) came from Vulcan, it was produced by Marble Eyes, hence the better quality.

Didnt they make that Hillsea Lido crap though and also one of the most pathetic games ive ever played which was "Burnout".. that game had some great AGA looking graphics but it had about as much gameplay as Dragons Lair smoking a bong!... It was complete and utter crap!!.

Quote:
Zool (& Superfrog) are actually probably the best games out of those I mentioned here.
I thoroughly enjoyed Superfrog when it came out, but Zool left me scatching my head and thinking ???... Didnt like it at all.

Quote:
No, still waiting for Kaillera to be finished. But most games that allow simultaneous 2-player mode are better in that mode, it doesn't really prove anything to say this. So it might be alright in 2p mode but not in 1p mode, whereas a lot of other games (eg. Turbo, Firepower, Gauntlet 2, Stunt Car Racer etc.) are fun in either mode. The only game I would say is crap in 1p mode but great for 2p is Vectorball, this is because the controls are not very good, playing with 2p means this problem affects both players equally, restoring game balance.
Well i consider Worms to have been made almost primarily as a 2 player game. It does have single player as you mention, but i think Team 17's intentions were mostly for the 2 player option. But yeah that have been some absolutely lovely games with 1 & 2 player options that have been brilliant to play in either mode as you said.. your right in that regard
Old 04 July 2006, 16:08   #93
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Remember guys. we are all different so we all have our own ideas of what games are under/over-rated.. what is good/crap etc..

Just because Minuous doesn't like certain games doesn't mean they are crap or over-rated, and it also doesn't mean that others wont like them.

Everyone is different, that's what makes these threads so interesting
Yes you are right.
Old 04 July 2006, 16:32   #94
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
Bah, what do you know? You only play girly (cute) platformers :P
*cough* *splutteronly knows bitmap bros gamessplutter* *cough*
Old 04 July 2006, 21:05   #95
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Except maybe the designers of those games :-) Of course they are somewhat better in a technical sense than what I could have coded myself back then, so kudos to the programmers of them. I was just giving a personal opinion, I know that my gaming tastes might be considered a bit warped, after all I still play quite a few TRS-80 and Emerson Arcadia 2001 games :-) Such as Killer Gorilla :-) I wonder if he named himself after that game?

To generalize: I tend to like 80s games more than 90s games for some reason, not sure why, they just tended to be more fun. With some notable exceptions like Zeewolf 1&2, WipeOut 2097, Rise of the Robots (5%? AP surely must have been joking!!), All Terrain Racing, etc.

(I know someone is going to ask me why I like Rise of the Robots: the graphics are lush, even by modern standards, both in static quality and in smoothness of animation. It's quite fun to play. It was HD-installable which most games weren't back then. It had a rather cool intro. There was an AGA version available, at a time when not all games had AGA versions. The only negative aspects of it are that the music is awful, and the high kick is too good. But if you forbid yourself from using the high kick it is quite playable. Of course it was somewhat overpriced too ($A120 for the AGA version), but then so are many games, and you did get 14 disks! which was about $A35 worth of blank disks at retail at the time. The AP reviewers seemed to think that if it wasn't just the same as Mortal Kombat that it was no good. I seem to recall one of their complaints being that you couldn't rip out the other robot's spines!? What a stupid comment to make. Of course you can't, they are robots! And it would add very little to the game even if you could, after all the fight is over by the time you can do 'fatalities'. My respect for AP went down considerably after reading that review. If someone patched the high kick to make it a bit less powerful, it would really shine.)

Last edited by Minuous; 04 July 2006 at 21:22.
Old 04 July 2006, 21:08   #96
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
...I know that my gaming tastes might be considered a bit warped, after all I still play quite a few TRS-80 and Emerson Arcadia 2001 games :-) Such as Killer Gorilla :-) I wonder if he named himself after that game?
YEP! Used to play it a lot as a kid
Old 04 July 2006, 21:24   #97
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

If anyone's interested, I got the handle 'Minuous' from a character I found on a Bard's Tale 1 character disk...!
Old 05 July 2006, 01:41   #98
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Ahhhhh BARDS TALE!!!!!!

so many months of youth spent in that game

INOGS instant light

ELCID uses Frost horn on 99 Skeletons and hits for 99
ELCID uses Frost horn on 99 zombies and hits for 99

*sniff* thats some good gamage!!!!!
Old 05 July 2006, 01:51   #99
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
Ahhhhh BARDS TALE!!!!!!

so many months of youth spent in that game

INOGS instant light

ELCID uses Frost horn on 99 Skeletons and hits for 99
ELCID uses Frost horn on 99 zombies and hits for 99

*sniff* thats some good gamage!!!!!
Tried my Bard's Tale Character Editor?! You won't have to waste as many months of your old age anymore :-)
Old 26 July 2006, 10:39   #100
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
*cough* *splutteronly knows bitmap bros gamessplutter* *cough*
Haha! only just noticed this reply.

Go back to playing Captive and leave the good games to those who know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyweakywoo
I think almost every game that came out backed by a movie licence was awful, 'lets just knock out another third rate platform game and stick the movie title on the box.'
I agree but didnt you like Batman the Movie either? I still play that these days. Or is it too girly for you?