English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 29 March 2018, 19:06   #81
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
wow amazing how people are attacking the owners of the software in question just because they are pissed they cant use it anymore

like getting mad at the cable company for cutting off your free cable you had installed illegally
Doesn't really look like any attacking other then the "prick" comment.

I for one don't and never will use his software, but then I don't use any alternatives as have no need to emulate those systems on an Amiga. if I wanted to emulate a PC, then I would just use my PC! lol

But it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

I have no interest in ApolloOS/Coffin, I don't use it, recommend it, nor do I like it as I prefer making my own setup, and advise others to do the same as its fun and a good learning experience.

I am interested to know what is in the Apollo Core that is supposedly copyright. As when I purchased my Vampire it was stated that the kickstart included was either licenced, or you had to provide evidence that you owned a legal Kickstart 3.1 ROM before they would provide the card. I have a legal 3.1 ROM in my machine anyway. But this is the first time the Core has been mentioned. Whereas its obvious ApolloOS is not legal software.
Old 29 March 2018, 19:14   #82
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
There are a bunch of software authors (including myself) that are getting ready to go after everyone involved in the creation and distribution of the coffin distribution file and code contained within the Apollo core.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10052

Now I'm really puzzled.
Old 29 March 2018, 19:39   #83
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Now I'm double shocked
Old 29 March 2018, 19:48   #84
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Pure gold.
Old 29 March 2018, 19:53   #85
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Lol, thats amused me! Brilliant!!!
Old 29 March 2018, 19:54   #86
E-Penguin
Banana

The Amiga scene is sometimes little different from my toddler daughter fighting with her friends over the toys...

Fundamentally though, it isn't wrong for a software developer to want to be paid for his work. I certainly don't work for free.
Old 29 March 2018, 20:00   #87
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
The Amiga scene is sometimes little different from my toddler daughter fighting with her friends over the toys...

Fundamentally though, it isn't wrong for a software developer to want to be paid for his work. I certainly don't work for free.
Whilst I would usually agree, it looks likes its possible that his work was stolen from someone else anyway going by the that other thread linked to above.

Will sure be interesting seeing how this pans out
Old 29 March 2018, 20:14   #88
antiriad76

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiwolf View Post
What is the code within the Apollo core that is considered illegal? Who wrote it? Just curious.
I think the code in question is the custom Kickstart that is included with the Apollo Core. If I am not mistaken Kickstart is still owned/sold by Cloanto

See the following link: https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-122

I do not know if there were any licensing agreements made between Cloanto and the Vampire team but it would make some sense and be fair that $2-$3 of every Vampire sale should go to Cloanto or to whoever owns the rights of Kickstart.

But the other confusing part is that a 1-2 years ago Hyperion had released a new version of Kickstart (40.72).

http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/in...-desktop-amiga

This is getting very interesting.....

Last edited by antiriad76; 29 March 2018 at 21:00.
Old 29 March 2018, 20:22   #89
pcotter

Meh! Fusion removed from my system(s) and forgotten!
Shapshifter all the way!
Old 29 March 2018, 21:15   #90
Sinphaltimus

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ns/ZQu0dPK_06g

Wow, this guy has history alright....
Old 29 March 2018, 21:21   #91
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemaru View Post
I am interested to know what is in the Apollo Core that is supposedly copyright. As when I purchased my Vampire it was stated that the kickstart included was either licenced, or you had to provide evidence that you owned a legal Kickstart 3.1 ROM before they would provide the card. I have a legal 3.1 ROM in my machine anyway. But this is the first time the Core has been mentioned. Whereas its obvious ApolloOS is not legal software.
I can't speak for what Jim meant by that, but AIUI the kickstart image in the Core is more than just the licensed 3.1 ROM. At the very least there has always been a patch to Exec to add the vampire's fast RAM (because Gunnar is violently opposed to adding the RAM via autoconfig like ever other third party board - his argument being that Commodore didn't use autoconfig for their own boards so why should he (which is wrong, C= did use autoconfig for some of their boards)).

More recently there have been the additions of the HDMI boot splash, and some other 68080 specific code. These are all copyright the Vampire team.

Going by http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=5&note=13384 it looks like they also now have a bunch of updated kickstart modules that are either from the 3.X ROMs or third parties.

So, there are likely some module versions that aren't quite legit for redistribution, and there's also the general question of whether or not their 3.1 distribution license also gives them the right to distributed derivative works. My guess would be that it doesn't, so their entire Kickstart is likely violating some copyrights and also breaching the terms of their 3.1 deal with Cloanto.

IANAL. YMMV.
Old 29 March 2018, 21:49   #92
Allen1

[QUOTE=Akira;1230966]Attacking anyone at EAB like that is clearly against the rules, you shouldn't do that, cool your jets a bit.

The guy made some commercial software and he is entitled to do whatever he wants with it, period.
If he wants to be like that about it to those who are possible customers of his instead of the people that allegedly wronged him, that is also his choice, wouldn't be the first time. But his claims to it and what is legal/illegal/what others can/cannot do with it, are 100% justified.

He can "chase" after his products for as long as he wants. Evidently from his posts, til his very own death

You are quite right, I shouldn't have called him a prick on an open forum but when I see a spade I will call it a spade and so on. what got me going was this and other things I have read about his activities so I will stick with my original opinion of the......

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1927
Old 29 March 2018, 22:13   #93
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
You are quite right, I shouldn't have called him a prick on an open forum but when I see a spade I will call it a spade and so on.
I get what you are going at, but let's keep it civil, and respect the rules and each other at EAB, or at least, let's not resort to name calling

Last edited by Amiga1992; 30 March 2018 at 15:54.
Old 29 March 2018, 22:40   #94
kolla
Banned

Jim Drew and the Apollo "Team" are perfect fit for each other
Old 29 March 2018, 23:25   #95
Allen1

Cheers Akira, I will keep those kind of thoughts to myself or at least make them polite when I type them
Old 30 March 2018, 01:40   #96
grelbfarlk

You know guys, for as few developers that Amiga has maybe people shouldn't make it a goal to aggravate them. Especially ones that released useful software.

I mean everyone who wanted pirated copies of these apps have them, why try to rub salt in the wounds?
Old 30 March 2018, 01:56   #97
Sinphaltimus

Ya know, he politely asked EAB to remove his software from their servers, they comply and it has a happy ending or so it seems.

So why with coffin is he on a rampaging warpath when he could have approached it the same way with the same results?

Is he digging through EAB's archives looking for any bit of software that Might be there illegally? Threatening lawsuits?

But attacking anything that says Vampire in the title is fair game. It's illogical, you'd think as passionate as he sounds it'd be a rampage against everyone distributing or hosting his files illegally - including archive.org that hosts his titles in an Amiga Format cover CD.

*sigh* - his recent behaviour over this matter speaks more about him today than his years of service to the Amiga brand.

And that's the last thing I'll say about any of that.
Old 30 March 2018, 01:58   #98
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
You know guys, for as few developers that Amiga has maybe people shouldn't make it a goal to aggravate them. Especially ones that released useful software.

I mean everyone who wanted pirated copies of these apps have them, why try to rub salt in the wounds?
That is what I dont understand: on one hand the Apollo Team complains when someone copies their hardware, but at the same time they encourage their users to copy software that is being commercially sold, without compensating anyone.

I wonder what kind of destructive ecosystem can be created around this soft-core if commercial developers are still being treated like that (and I am not referring to Jim Drew, because he is not the only one affected).

I wish they could rectify their ways and see the harm they are inflicting not only to them, but to the rest of the community.
Old 30 March 2018, 09:00   #99
grond

My impression is that the line is drawn at actively developed software (as opposed to actively claimed or defended copyrights).
Old 30 March 2018, 10:53   #100
amiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I am currently determining the pieces with Cloanto and others. We will have a complete list shortly.
Thanks for the reply. So it's a Kickstart issue, then. I thought it may have had something to do with the FPU.