English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 January 2023, 19:46   #81
npagonis73

I grabbed the smb2-handler from the link on the first page and put it in L: . Then filesysbox.library in libs. Made the DosDriver you see attached. When I double click it, I assume it mounts the share since I get no error but no icon appears in workbench. If I double click it again then it says that it is already mounted. I opened dopus and right click in S I can see Samba3 as a volume but when I click it it says "No disk present in device SAMBA3". What am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MountFailure.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	77833  

Last edited by npagonis73; 17 January 2023 at 11:40.
Old 16 January 2023, 20:16   #82
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

First... the DOSDRIVER icon needs to have as a Default Tool C:Mount
Second, to be able to see an icon on Workbench you need a Disk.info inside the Shared folder.
I don't see anything wrong with your share. Have you tried putting the IP of the NAS instead the hostname (in case something's wrong with DNS on the Amiga side)?

My declaration of Startup command is:
Startup = "smb://usernameassword@my_pc_ip/shared Volume=mfilosPC"
Old 16 January 2023, 20:29   #83
BSzili
old chunk of coal

You don't need disk.info on your share, I certainly don't have it and the volume shows up just fine with the default floppy icon. If I had to take a shot in the dark then the host name he used can't be resolved on the amiga side. Pinging it should verify this.
Old 16 January 2023, 20:35   #84
npagonis73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
First... the DOSDRIVER icon needs to have as a Default Tool C:Mount
Second, to be able to see an icon on Workbench you need a Disk.info inside the Shared folder.
I don't see anything wrong with your share. Have you tried putting the IP of the NAS instead the hostname (in case something's wrong with DNS on the Amiga side)?

My declaration of Startup command is:
Startup = "smb://usernameassword@my_pc_ip/shared Volume=mfilosPC"
Hello my friend. Hope you are well

I do have those things you mentioned in your reply. Before today I used smbmounter to mount my shares just fine. Will try ip address instead of hostname to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230116_212846.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	77834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230116_212955.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	955.2 KB
ID:	77835  
Old 16 January 2023, 20:42   #85
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
You don't need disk.info on your share, I certainly don't have it and the volume shows up just fine with the default floppy icon.
That's because you have a def_disk.info on your ENVARC/sys/ then
Old 16 January 2023, 20:47   #86
npagonis73

Update
Using my IP address instead of hostname (as MFilos suggested) worked and mounted the share. Tried to copy a file in Ram but speed is extremely slow. A lot slower than the previous smbfs1 and smbmounter. So slow that is almost unusable.

Last edited by npagonis73; 17 January 2023 at 07:05.
Old 16 January 2023, 21:14   #87
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by npagonis73 View Post
Update
Using my IP address instead of hostname (as MFilos suggested) worked and mounted the share. Tried to copy a file in Ram but speed is extremely slow. A lot slower than the previous samba version and smbmounter. So slow that is almost unusable.
Good that it worked

In my Vampire Standalone I get a SpeedTest of 1.84Mbps on Write and 2.90Mbps on Read which is rather nice for my standards.
Old 17 January 2023, 06:34   #88
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Big update, charset conversion is here! The handler remains the same, you only need to update filesysbox.library to 54.2. I replaced the Aminet link in the first post. It'll try to auto detect your character set based on your Country or Language setting, but you can always override this with the CHARSET envvar. As a last resort it'll fall back to Latin-1 which should work as a safe default.
Old 17 January 2023, 08:21   #89
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Out of curiosity how does smb2fs handle filenames which are legal in AmigaDOS like "Amber_*" but illegal on the destination filesystem like FAT16/NTFS?

I apologize if this is obvious.

Last edited by alexh; 17 January 2023 at 17:58.
Old 17 January 2023, 09:56   #90
Michael1260

Is there a way to "wrap" the password inside an "crypted" way ?
Old 17 January 2023, 09:59   #91
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
That's because you have a def_disk.info on your ENVARC/sys/ then
This is not needed, the workbench gives you the default black and white disk icon without any kind of deficons functionality.
Old 17 January 2023, 11:45   #92
npagonis73

Any idea why the transfer speeds from my server are so extremely slow? Almost unsuable!! I also have the smbfs installed and use this with smbmounter and the speeds there are perfect. Any solution to this? My system is an Amiga 1200 with V1200 running 3.2.1 and using a pcmcia network card getting more than 5mb/sec in amispeedtest and when transfer from my NAS I get around 3mb/sec.
Old 17 January 2023, 17:20   #93
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Oit of curiosity how does smb2fs handle filenames which are legal in AmigaDOS like "Amber_*" but illegal on the destination filesystem like FAT16/NTFS?

This is a good question, I'll try to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1260 View Post
Is there a way to "wrap" the password inside an "crypted" way ?
You can use NTLM hashes instead of the actual passwords, these websites can calculate the hash for you:
https://codebeautify.org/ntlm-hash-generator
https://www.browserling.com/tools/ntlm-hash
Then specify the password in this format, where HASH is the output you've got from those websites:
PASSWORD=ntlm:HASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by npagonis73 View Post
Any idea why the transfer speeds from my server are so extremely slow? Almost unsuable!! I also have the smbfs installed and use this with smbmounter and the speeds there are perfect. Any solution to this? My system is an Amiga 1200 with V1200 running 3.2.1 and using a pcmcia network card getting more than 5mb/sec in amispeedtest and when transfer from my NAS I get around 3mb/sec.
Sorry, no idea. If it's unusable then I recommend staying with smbfs and smbmounter.

Last edited by BSzili; 17 January 2023 at 17:35.
Old 17 January 2023, 17:43   #94
Michael1260

[QUOTE=BSzili;1590152]This is a good question, I'll try to see what happens.

You can use NTLM hashes instead of the actual passwords, these websites can calculate the hash for you:
Then specify the password in this format, where HASH is the output you've got from those websites:

Thank you !
Old 17 January 2023, 18:28   #95
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Out of curiosity how does smb2fs handle filenames which are legal in AmigaDOS like "Amber_*" but illegal on the destination filesystem like FAT16/NTFS?

I just tried this, and the copy operation will simply fail. It's probably best to archive files with such names, you can specify the SMB2 share as the destination.
Old 17 January 2023, 22:29   #96
thxtex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
Is this a seperate line or is it on the same line as the Startup line in the DOSDriver file?
Old 17 January 2023, 22:43   #97
BSzili
old chunk of coal

The startup line. For examples on additional arguments, see the readme of the GitHub page:
https://github.com/salass00/smb2fs
Old 18 January 2023, 08:37   #98
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Just a bit of a heads up, NTLM hash passwords are currently broken due to an endianness issue in the parsing function. I've already sent a fix upstream, I'll let you know when the new handler is available.
Old 18 January 2023, 17:04   #99
tuf

I'm having issues getting this working on newly installed systems. It works fine on a couple of my older installs that I've upgraded over time, but on a brand new install where it's nothing but 3.2.1 and Roadshow (with appropriate network drivers) I can't get it working.

I'm wondering if it's possible there's some dependency I'm missing with the brand new installs?
Old 18 January 2023, 17:48   #100
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Probably not, the only dependency is filesysbox.library. Everything else is optional or in the ROM since 3.0.
Speaking of dependencies, the handler's port is now merged into the official repo. There are new versions for both the handler and the library, NTLM hash passwords should now work among other things. I updated the links in the first post accordingly.