English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 August 2022, 14:54   #81
Thomas Richter

This would be the matter of a possible cross-license agreement between Hyperion and iComp. Frankly, I consider this a bit unlikely. After all, Hyperion would have to buy the licenses, or would have to make the Os update more expensive.
Old 29 August 2022, 19:03   #82
TGM

Thanks Thomas, I didn't think iComp still owned Picasso96 for some weird reason, I've been a bit out of the loop. I assume there's patents stopping an alternative too (which wouldn't be good for the ecosystem anyway).
Old 29 August 2022, 19:17   #83
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Errr.... you have that since 3.1.4.
31 khz boot menu? Really? Awesome, thanks
Old 30 August 2022, 03:13   #84
pipper

I would wish for better debugging facilities in the OS. Something like ROMs with symbols to help identify crashing code or places that access invalid/uninitialized memory.

I could even imagine specialized ROM builds for usage in WinUAE only that somehow support the built-in debugger better in presenting callstacks.

Anything that makes source level debugging easier would be helpful.
Old 30 August 2022, 12:25   #85
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
31 khz boot menu? Really? Awesome, thanks
It was even available in 3.9, though only after the first reboot since the new ROM modules were loaded from disk, and it was a funky key combo to enable it (Ctrl+Alt+Del+Backspace).
Old 30 August 2022, 12:28   #86
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Thanks Thomas, I didn't think iComp still owned Picasso96 for some weird reason, I've been a bit out of the loop. I assume there's patents stopping an alternative too (which wouldn't be good for the ecosystem anyway).
I doubt that there are any patents in P96 or AmigaOs, and even if they were, they are long run out by now.
Old 30 August 2022, 14:06   #87
invent
pixels

I’d love to know what the devs who make the updates have on their Wishlist? While I can’t yet offer suggestions, I will poke around soon and check the latest version. I did like the scale window from any edge feature, something I remember conceptions out some time ago.

I’m ready to pay for update
Old 31 August 2022, 01:08   #88
wiser3

I'd like a "Archive" utility system. A system for handling lha, lhz, zip, etc files. This systems API can work with plug-ins for any archive format. It would detect which file format is being used and be able to create, add/remove files, and unpack the archive contents. The OS would come with a archive utility program and lha plug-in that uses this system.

Installer, 3rd party software and users would then use this one system for any archive needs.
Old 01 September 2022, 17:46   #89
DisasterIncarna

after going back to having to install a harddrive for a fresh setup, I am remindedf what a ballache setting up a new HD actually is, far too much manual typing this/that, this si something that should be far, far more simple, its great we can fudge in extra filesystems like SFS/PFS as well, but holy moly is it a ballache to get it all perfect so it actually works.

Any way of making the whole process more automagic and less manually handheld?
Old 01 September 2022, 18:28   #90
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ I am from the old school and even if I can appreciate some kind of automatic help, I much prefer not to be taken too much by the hand and think that a good/real documentation is better than an all automatic process where you have no control at all.
Old 02 September 2022, 02:46   #91
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser3 View Post
I'd like a "Archive" utility system. A system for handling lha, lhz, zip, etc files. This systems API can work with plug-ins for any archive format. It would detect which file format is being used and be able to create, add/remove files, and unpack the archive contents.
Essentially datatypes for archives. That would be neat.

Didn’t DOpus Magellan have support for browsing archives as if they were directories? That would be neat too.
Old 02 September 2022, 04:19   #92
jcgeuze

1, tcp/ip stack
2. lha build in, ability to build archives directly from WB
3. improved backup tool that can do better compression and backup to Zip drives or another HD.
4. dare i say it, but what about an app store? (like linux has) (will require tcp/ip stack)
Old 02 September 2022, 07:53   #93
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Have you used Microsoft Windows? Some stuff in Windows 10 is from Windows 3.x
For my RTX 3080 Ti OC, NVIDIA's control panel is from the Windows XP era.
Old 02 September 2022, 08:04   #94
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgeuze View Post
[...] but what about an app store? [...]
Please, no.
Look at the $hit that is Win10 with it's useless but integrated bloatware store/shop...
Old 02 September 2022, 08:08   #95
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
In the event that we would be so lucky to get another update to this long-lived OS, what would be the top 3 "must have" (as opposed to nice to have) features that are not already present in OS 3.2.1?

My pick (trying to keep it realistic, so no stuff like "memory protection etc)

*Some sort of "Remote Update feature" to set up downloads and point the to a destination to do mass updates of datatypes/ firmware/ drivers and what not, with ability to save it to different profiles. (Eg, if you switch between CPUs or hardware setups)

*True Type fonts support

*More robust handling of images and sound out of the box. (For example, maybe picview does a quick analysis of the image you want to open vs available resources before it starts loading for a long time only to fail later due to "out of memory or something similar - and maybe you get the option to autoscale or /convert to a native format etc).

(P.S. The 3.2.1 and beyond thread is >1600 post long, any 3.3 suggestions there are not so easy to find)
Port the entire AmigaOS 4.1 FE for fast 68K Amigas. I like AmigaOS 4.x UI and I would like WHDLoad games running without launching UAE.

I recall AmigaOS 4.1 has integrated RTG support.
Old 02 September 2022, 10:57   #96
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Please, no.
Look at the $hit that is Win10 with it's useless but integrated bloatware store/shop...

Maybe, but dont confuse a concept with poor implementation.
Remember the Streaming Video service ”Voddler”? (most dont actually). Conceptually, Netflix is very similar, but in implementation/usability, user friendliness etc they are worlds apart.
Old 02 September 2022, 16:17   #97
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Port the entire AmigaOS 4.1 FE for fast 68K Amigas. I like AmigaOS 4.x UI and I would like WHDLoad games running without launching UAE.

I recall AmigaOS 4.1 has integrated RTG support.

Thats your wish for 3.3?
Old 02 September 2022, 16:21   #98
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Maybe, but dont confuse a concept with poor implementation.
Remember the Streaming Video service ”Voddler”? (most dont actually). Conceptually, Netflix is very similar, but in implementation/usability, user friendliness etc they are worlds apart.
IMO a store/shop has nothing to do with an OS.
As a separate application that I have the choice to not to install nor use, OK.
But something in the like of a Win10 store, Android PlayStore, Mac AppStore that you can't even totally and easily uninstall, non merci.
Old 02 September 2022, 17:49   #99
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
IMO a store/shop has nothing to do with an OS.
As a separate application that I have the choice to not to install nor use, OK.
But something in the like of a Win10 store, Android PlayStore, Mac AppStore that you can't even totally and easily uninstall, non merci.
IMO not that likely to happen anyway, right? After all, the commercial value of the software doesn't motivate a "store" like the above mentioned.
That being said, I wouldn't mind if it was more convenient to acquire packages of stuff that's needed. Happens alot in Amiga land. You download one thing from Aminet only to find out you also need 7 other things, libs, datatypes and what not. If youre luck the readme will give you a hint, but sometimes, not..

Maybe similar to how a game launcher works you could have a GUI for stuff you dont have yet, but could choose to download along with other required stuff. Crowd sourced "packages of stuff" to get stuff working properly. Basically such a package could be a collection of links to aminet along with some arexx script & installer...
I'm thinking out loud here, I dont have finished idea, just some vague bits. Maybe its a bad idea and I'll drop it at some point ;-) and for sure, it could be one of those "extras" you choose to either install or not from the CD with the OS.
Old 02 September 2022, 18:18   #100
pipper

Maybe he meant less a“store“ but more some form of „apt-get“.