English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 August 2009, 17:30   #81
cosmiq

Why do I love the crackle and pops on an LP even more than the exact same song on a CD (well, for some songs okay).. ... it's that retro feel..
Back in the days, making miles on your bicycle to head to the city for that one LP you love.. and when home playing it over and over again...

Today everyone downloads tons of MP3's, I don't even know all the shit I have, I don't even care... it lost value...

but still.. new stuff is good and addictive.. but in a different way.

I just bought this Nintendo DS (I wanted it because of Populous DS - which in fact is quite good).. but I can predict the gadget will start eating dust in just a few weeks from now..
Old 25 August 2009, 17:38   #82
Pyromania

@cosmiq

Do you like Populous DS? I'm thinking of buying it, bought and loved the Amiga version.

Last edited by Pyromania; 25 August 2009 at 17:47.
Old 25 August 2009, 17:43   #83
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@cosmiq

Do you like Populous DS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
(I wanted it because of Populous DS - which in fact is quite good)
Old 25 August 2009, 17:49   #84
Pyromania

Whoops.

Old 25 August 2009, 18:32   #85
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Yeah, I knew my wording was poor. But it was good enough for KG to summarise it effectively.
Old 25 August 2009, 18:50   #86
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

This thread sucks. It's not nearly as good as the threads from the old days. Back then, people knew how to make threads. Now it's just all bitch, bitch, bitch.

(...gay, bitchslap, bitch, be my bitch... and so on)
Old 25 August 2009, 22:27   #87
cosmiq

Hahah.. in dutch we say 'Vroeger was alles beter'..

@Pyromania : Yeah I like it.. good playability, nice and challenging, but the ami version had cuter charaters. Although they are not bad on DS : You even have some new chars with special abilities.

It was worth buying the DS. Two other titles that made it worth bigtime were the brain challenge and the 'oldskool' remakes :-) w00t
Old 26 August 2009, 02:27   #88
Titler
Zone Friend

The games themselves weren't necessarily better back in the past... but in those days, you also didn't have to share the imaginary worlds they tried to present to you with the fools and trolls and attention seeking ape-creatures of the internet. I personally think there's been a genuine cultural shift away from trying to tell a pure story, and letting that story find it's own market (or niche) amongst those who would appreciate it, to instead allowing hooting gibbons shoving bananas into every place they can find to have increasing influence over the entire experience of gaming... gaming's become a defined lifestyle now, and every game has to tailor to the perceived frat boy drinking gamer lifestyle in some way, which means allowing (say) VOIP in everything so you can hear what some ill educated oaf thinks about your quest in squeaky-voiced real time. The technology has moved on... and revealed and is expected to continually reveal to us natures bounty of idiocy; and I can't help but think back to the times when it was just me, my own private quest, and my own unsullied feelings at the end of them, and think it truly was better back then. Less isn't always more, but it often can be when it comes to your fellow man, and I think games have forgotten, or are too afraid with the huge development costs these days, to understand that.

Last edited by Titler; 26 August 2009 at 21:07.
Old 26 August 2009, 08:07   #89
Pyromania

@Titler

Wow such deep philosophical statements you are saying and at such a late time at least for me. It's 1:07 AM here in Chicago. I understand where you are coming from and agree with you.
Old 26 August 2009, 08:11   #90
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Titler
Very good point sir I also love to 'discover' games on my own, rather than someone handing me a 'good for you' and 'best practice' handpaper right from the start. I developed this strange habit of avoiding any coverage (well except for a few games, Diablo III as an example ) about games I like to play.
Old 26 August 2009, 21:06   #91
Titler
Zone Friend

I was on UK time when I wrote that, so it was even later for me But it was coming off trying to play Dawn of War II just before that; I was a huge fan of the first game, but the second removed most of the larger strategic elements involved in an RTS in exchange for small maps with no base building and victory points that end the game in 10 minutes or less, replaced the gameplay with simple unit blobbing and pure APM deciding the fights, and by using both in game VOIP but also Games for Windows Live allowed everyone you ever played with into your entire experience the moment you start the program... because that's apparently what the market wants. Technically it's much more advanced than it's predecessor, graphically it's much more attractive... but it's a repetitive, flashy but hollow shell of a game in comparison. It's the Halo of RTS PC games... but many of today's gamers will fight you to the death over that comparison, because that's what they seem to enjoy. It's shouting and being the centre of attention versus reading a book quietly by yourself... there should be room for both maybe, but the former terribly distorts the ability to enjoy the latter.
Old 27 August 2009, 02:44   #92
Pyromania

@Titler

I'll have to check out Dawn of War and give it a play.
Old 27 August 2009, 13:02   #93
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Well, tie me to the stake and brand me a heretic, but I don't hate everything.

I loved Amiga games when I was a kid, and when I was a teenager. I miss some genres that have now become dormant and pretty 2d graphics that are now extinct. The games on the Amiga gave me so many wonderful and warm memories, ones which I will cherish forever and which I am truly grateful for, as they probably formed the cornerstone of my childhood happiness.

But you know what? I have moved on. I barely play Amiga games anymore.

I disagree when people say that all contemporary games are shite. There are a few radiant gems amidst many average titles, just like there were in the Amiga days. I disagree when people complain about "where games are headed," for while I don't like some things (casual gaming and games becoming big business, for starters), there are many things that I like about today's games (save points, deeper storylines, more playable difficulty levels, etc). Basically, games will evolve, and they will survive, and with each generation, there will be good stuff and bad stuff.

I also strongly disagree with the argument which declares that games are now all graphics, and that people of low-intellectual capability purchase games just for their graphics - I don't think I have ever met any type of gamer that has done this. Never.

Now of course, I'm not going to steamroll everyone here - each to their own, and that's fine. But really, there are plenty of wonderful games out there. I bought a superpowered rig two years ago, which allowed me to play the latest games again, and during that time I have been entertained by many wonderful titles - Bioshock, Dawn of War (the first one), Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, NecroVision, Call of Duty 4, Flat Out: Ultimate Carnage, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Crysis, Quake 4, Far Cry, Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Condemned, Manhunt, FEAR, Gears of War...the list goes on.

I think today's games should be given a chance, quite frankly.

Titler: I agree that DoW2 was a disappointment. DoW, with all the expansion packs, has provided me my most memorable RTS experience (yes, better then Starcraft). And out of the expansion packs, Soulstorm is my favourite.
Old 13 September 2009, 16:00   #94
lost_lemming

(not sure where to put this thread). Isn't it horrible walking into a supermarket

or garage-shop and not ever seeing those amiga mags up on the shelf like in the early 90s? I hate seeing all the PS3/Xbox360 mags, cause I just think of it as the replacement scene of the amiga era, and it starts making me hate the teenage generation of today.

i cannot wait in 202-somthing when ps3/xbox mags are no longer on the shelfs (cause a new system has replaced them) so the generation-of-today-but-much-older feel the same sad feeling as i do now.

cry-baby rant over

PS. i sit in my room and cry now
Old 13 September 2009, 16:04   #95
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming
(not sure where to put this thread)
Maybe just move it here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46700
I don't mind them myself, yet I also don't buy them (neither the consoles nor the mags). Think it's a simple 'live and let live' thing for me
Old 13 September 2009, 16:11   #96
s2325
Zone Friend

Few days ago I saw in supermarket NES clone for 23 EUR(!). Today I'm really happy - my old Pentium 100MHz is enough for some games emulated with Fellow. Connected to old CRT monitor 14'' can give me really good illusion of real Amiga. I have A500 (not my first) but my C 1084S is so old, and there is no quick and easy way to transfer adfs...
Old 18 September 2009, 00:39   #97
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
Hahah.. in dutch we say 'Vroeger was alles beter'..
Vroeger was alles beter? Vroeger was alles helemaal niet beter (Translation on request )

Anyway, crap games have always existed. There used to be truckloads of bad games in the past and a handful of gems. Today there are truckloads of bad games and a handful of gems. In the future there will be truckloads of bad games and a handful of gems. The more things change, the more things stay the same
Old 18 September 2009, 01:54   #98
Photon

There a Swedish cartoonist that has expressed his love for past times. It goes something like this:

"The only good thing about the future is that there will be more past to long back to"

CBA to word it properly, too late in the evening. You guys help me out if you get the jist of it
Old 18 September 2009, 23:16   #99
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyweakywoo View Post
Serious question. I and many of my peers it seems hate everything these days, but why is this?
STFU NOOB
Old 24 September 2009, 06:19   #100
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyweakywoo View Post
Serious question. I and many of my peers it seems hate everything these days, but why is this?

Were things really better back in the days of Amigas and STs? Or were we just kids who, much like kids now, think pretty much anything is amazing. Now we varnish everything with so much nostalgia polish nothing could ever beat it.

Are these old games actually good games, are they so much better than the dribbling of creativity from the teat of EA or Acivision-Blizzard? Or have the standards just been raised so high that nothing can live up to them?

If I were to critique a modern game and then apply those values onto an old 'miggy game how would it hold up?

Maybe game should be perfect by now, it seems simple right? Gameplay mechanic x is good except for part y, remove part y and you have improved, but after almost 30 years of development things seem to be getting worse?

So am I and my peers at fault here or is it the game developers?
I feel the exact same feeling as you, although I'm just 19! Nothing beats the good old games where the gameplay, humour and charm was important.. Not the terrain, textures, graphics, controls etc...
I NEVER play any of the modern games, I have no interest whatsoever!

Certain good ol' games are simple and pure fun.. I can't explain what I feel, but modern games are somehow... too realistic?!
I don't know, but the games from the early 90 era are the best.