English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 October 2020, 09:47   #81
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Well, I just tried Caprice32 reborn (not its actual name, it's simply Caprice32 version from last March), and I couldn't "press" F8 (Fn keys are used for emulator e.q. full screen, so disabled for any in-game command) using the virtual keyboard (displayed by pressing Shift+F1). Pressing F8 was needed to confirm disk change for "l`île oubliée" (the forgotten island), an adventure game inspired by Ubi Soft previous games, now I am stuck. Which gives not so great upgrade from v3.6.1, sorry Mr. ColinPitrat whoever you are . Thanks for trying anyway.

EDIT : Ah I wasn't using the cracked / fixed images of the game.

EDIT² : Granted, WinCPC is more convenient. For example, said game bears a basic arcade sequence at some point. To choose action while diving, one must use the "Copy" button, which WinCPC documents, but not Caprice32 (its virtual keyboard being tiny, barely readable)

Last edited by SquawkBox; 15 October 2020 at 11:18.
Old 15 October 2020, 10:15   #82
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
At the moment i don't emulate BBC Micro and Apple 2 computers ..... are they important too ?
My Dad had an Apple 2 back in the day, but I myself used the BBC Micro a lot, in school and college. The cool part was, during one Easter break, they allowed a few students to borrow (take home) the school's computers, and I was one of them! Made a couple of games in that fortnight, both long gone, but it was fun!

However, revisiting old commercial games on the platform was fun, but the Demoscene is practically non-existent there, only two dozen or so altogether on Pouet.net! The hardware of the machine just wasn't up to fast graphics and sound. Teletext ones are fun, however.

Quote:
Well, i checked by myself

Games for BBC Micro and Apple 2 don't seem nothing of special

Actually i tried a lot of those for both the machine and nothing good is coming out
I remember a few good games for BBC Micro, namely Frak!, Starship Command, Zalaga (great Galaxians variation), Attack on Alpha Centauri, Repton (sort of a Boulder Dash variation) and a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
That is just plain blasphemy!!!

BBC Micro is where Elite originated from, by far best version for Home computers and thanks to good processor in BBC, bit faster then rest of the home computer market.
Why bother with the BBC Micro, when we can play it on Amiga? And I'd say Thrust was another great game that originated on the platform.

Quote:
This is not what i experienced looking the BBC Micro games actually
There are quite a few games out there, but a lot of them are either 3-colour hi-res affairs, or gaudy 8-colour lo-res monstrosities in 3-bit RGB. It takes a lot of getting used to those concentrations of so many primary colours.

Oh, and if I remember, the BBC Micro had no joystick so it was keys only, and while sometimes keys could be redefined, most of the time you were stuck with baffling choices for controls.

Last edited by Foebane; 15 October 2020 at 10:17. Reason: Correction
Old 15 October 2020, 15:22   #83
chip

Just for curiosity i just discovered that CPC and ZX Spectrum use the same soundchip
Old 15 October 2020, 15:31   #84
dreadnought

Only the later (128K) ZX models. Early on we only had the mighty Beeper
Old 15 October 2020, 15:35   #85
chip

Yup .... thanks for the info
Old 15 October 2020, 15:50   #86
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Just for curiosity i just discovered that CPC and ZX Spectrum use the same soundchip
You know that in 1986 Amstrad (Alan Sugar) purchased Sinclair??
Old 15 October 2020, 15:51   #87
chip

No, i didn't know that
Old 15 October 2020, 23:07   #88
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
IBM PC - pcEM
PCem is a virtualizer, not an emulator . For such tool to run at 100% accuracy, a powerful PC is required (I am not sure even a fast Core2Quad could fit the bill), that's something to have in mind before setting aside VirtualBox and similar more user friendly tools.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 16 October 2020 at 00:10.
Old 21 October 2020, 10:25   #89
chip

After i tried a lot of other systems, i always return to Amiga only

Not because i don't like other consoles or computer .... it's just a question of time

Indeed ADA requires a lot of time and i can't waste it with other systems
Old 21 October 2020, 11:06   #90
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Not because i don't like other consoles or computer .... it's just a question of time
I hear you. It's also a question of comfort, I already spend so much time just sitting behind a PC especially now in these Corona times and working from home that I don't really want to be doing emulation and such on the computer as well. This is why I'm following Anubis' example and I'm looking at an emulation handheld so I can just plop on the couch or bed for a little gaming time.
Old 22 October 2020, 00:45   #91
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
PCem is a virtualizer, not an emulator . For such tool to run at 100% accuracy, a powerful PC is required (I am not sure even a fast Core2Quad could fit the bill), that's something to have in mind before setting aside VirtualBox and similar more user friendly tools.
pcEM is not virtualizer, it is emulator. It is very different from Virtual PC, VMWare Player/Workstation etc.