English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 30 May 2020, 21:00   #81
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbc View Post
This thread brought so many nostalgia to me. Magic Pockets was favourite game of my childhood and I used to play this with my father when i was 4. I played this game on ms dos and we were not able to complete last level for many years. Of course i did not have manua? and rumors that game is not completable due to bad crack were popular even in my country in late 90s.. I remember my older brother who was telling that, and that his friend has this game on amiga and it is possible to finish it there.. Omg how i wished to have amiga back then... Some of you may have noticed that there is some collision bug. It is very hard to reproduce and I did it maybe two times in my life, i guess in jungle levels and in Cave levels. There is some kind of spin which allows you to fall to wrong part of map without monsters. When I was around 8-9 i tried to beat that crazy level and guess what...? Collision bug occurred somehow when I was fighting with bubble! I cannot recall all details of that, it was around 20 years ago and I was in hard shock when this happened... I was not sure if this was legit finish or some bug, but i remember that I was able to see some rooms with big cakes, and i think that I could enter exit from one room, later there was normal ending. Maybe it would be nice to take more interest on this collision bug? I know it happened on all ports of this
I must be really shit at this game! I only got to the second world this week. And it's thanks to playing the NTSC version which I am enjoying thanks to jotd recommendation And now thankfully I might stand a chance of getting further because there are world codes! So I will continue but I admire you skills if you got that far when you where young. For me? Jesus I never got passed level 1 possibly when I was a kid not for a long time as I didn't know how to spin (I had no manual and it was a copied/crack version) so when I finally did that it was a break through to finally get to complete the first level. Nice to see someone else who shares a love for the game!

BTW a Saturday morning kids TV show used to use the game as a competition to see if callers could direct the bit map kid through the level and score as many points as possible. Whoever had the highest score one prizes. Can't remember the details, but I think the pressed buttons on their phone to direct the character in the game. The TV show was called Motormouth and it was aired in the UK it's on youtube but I have yet to find any episode that incudes them playing Magic Pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
The only ClassicWB version I use is Lite so haven't seen this...

How about this for a work-around:
  • Edit the "<slave>.info" with the desired Tool Types.
  • Remove the "Write" protection bit on the "<slave>.info" afterwards.
Ahh so I went a tried to learn how to remove file protection and I think I was able , but I don't really understand what you meant I had to do after. Anyways I failed miserably.
Old 30 May 2020, 21:14   #82
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Ahh so I went a tried to learn how to remove file protection and I think I was able , but I don't really understand what you meant I had to do after. Anyways I failed miserably.
Ok, to remove the Write protection bit in ClassicWB there are two ways:

1) via DirOpus:
  • Start DirOpus.
  • Navigate to the <gamedir>.
  • Click the "<gamename>.icon" file.
  • Click the "Protect" button.
  • Untick "Write" and click "Okay".

2) via Shell / CLI:
  • Start a Shell or CLI.
  • Change into the <gamedir>.
  • Type "protect <gamename>.icon> -w".

Now the .icon file cannot be modified / written to