English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 12 May 2011, 18:27   #81
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
RNWARP => not working when writing without drive motor control.....
What is motor control? Basicly this is not possible without extra hardware?
Old 12 May 2011, 19:43   #82
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
What is motor control? Basicly this is not possible without extra hardware?
Motor control is to be able to slow down the drive motor so that you can write more data to the track than you would normally.

Some hardware devices manipulate the drive speed to be able to duplicate more copy protected formats.
Old 12 May 2011, 19:55   #83
zipper

Syncro Express for example.
Old 12 May 2011, 20:48   #84
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

No, to my knowledge Synchro Express does not do that. Neither does Cyclone. I know that at least Cyclone tried to by pulsing the drive's motor very fast (pulse width modulation). There are mods for original A1010 that add a trim potentiometer and enable the user to adjust the speed of the drive.

Standard drives used in third party external drives for the Amiga usually came with more modern, modded PC-style drives. These drives have motor speed control built into the drive logic (usually a small IC doing this). So the moment you try and alter the speed, the logic will detect the speed change and adjust itself. So you are getting nowhere...

The only copier, to my knowledge, that actually changed the drive speed was Sybil by Utilities Unlimited of Oregon. To be more precise it did not change drive speed, but connected to the parallel port and the genlock port of the Amiga. This allowed the software to change the Amiga's clock (and display frequency - so this was used best with the CRT turned off to avoid damage) in relation to the fixed speed drives. A faster Amiga meant shorter bitcells and therefore more space for information on a single track.

Coming back to PowerCopy I think it does the same Synchro Express, Cyclone and others do. It shifts the data from the internal drive to the external one. I am further assuming that it has some kind of circuitry to correct bitcell timings to allow for precompensation of the data written. At least to some extent. But there is no way PowerCopy can adjust drive speed. Except for pulsing (pulse width modulation of the motor on line), but this works rather ok than excellent and will add jitter to the data written.

In the end, protections were made the way they were made because the Amiga was not capable of duping them properly. Trace machines, used for writing the masters at replicators, can easily write any bitcell width.
Old 12 May 2011, 22:31   #85
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Motor control is to be able to slow down the drive motor so that you can write more data to the track than you would normally.

Some hardware devices manipulate the drive speed to be able to duplicate more copy protected formats.
Thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
No, to my knowledge Synchro Express does not do that. Neither does Cyclone. I know that at least Cyclone tried to by pulsing the drive's motor very fast (pulse width modulation). There are mods for original A1010 that add a trim potentiometer and enable the user to adjust the speed of the drive.

Standard drives used in third party external drives for the Amiga usually came with more modern, modded PC-style drives. These drives have motor speed control built into the drive logic (usually a small IC doing this). So the moment you try and alter the speed, the logic will detect the speed change and adjust itself. So you are getting nowhere...

The only copier, to my knowledge, that actually changed the drive speed was Sybil by Utilities Unlimited of Oregon. To be more precise it did not change drive speed, but connected to the parallel port and the genlock port of the Amiga. This allowed the software to change the Amiga's clock (and display frequency - so this was used best with the CRT turned off to avoid damage) in relation to the fixed speed drives. A faster Amiga meant shorter bitcells and therefore more space for information on a single track.

Coming back to PowerCopy I think it does the same Synchro Express, Cyclone and others do. It shifts the data from the internal drive to the external one. I am further assuming that it has some kind of circuitry to correct bitcell timings to allow for precompensation of the data written. At least to some extent. But there is no way PowerCopy can adjust drive speed. Except for pulsing (pulse width modulation of the motor on line), but this works rather ok than excellent and will add jitter to the data written.

In the end, protections were made the way they were made because the Amiga was not capable of duping them properly. Trace machines, used for writing the masters at replicators, can easily write any bitcell width.
What about Backup Buddy - manaul speed control. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=169598#post169598

Its still unclear what hardware would be needed with RNWarp

I started with a MAC II copier which I belive is a clone of SuperAmi Card II and also had the Power Computer Blizzard and have to say I backup a number of games with success.
Old 12 May 2011, 22:56   #86
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
What about Backup Buddy - manaul speed control. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=169598#post169598
All it says is that you have to adjust the drive speed and the program will tell you how fast or slow it has to be. It does not say Backup Buddy will do this. Maybe it's just a modded drive.

Whenever it comes to changing bitcell size you need to adjust drive speed. Or change the cell itself. Which you can't on Amiga.
Old 12 May 2011, 23:31   #87
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
So can someone post or make a tut that would allow to change an amiga drive motor speed ? I found no schematics about such a thing.
Old 12 May 2011, 23:59   #88
prowler
Global Moderator

BlueAchenar experimented with pulse width modulation to control the speed of the floppy drive in his BAWarp disk imager program, but was unsuccessful. Details of this project are in this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42048
Old 13 May 2011, 03:19   #89
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
No. F-29 Retaliator IS Copylock protected, but the format of the Copylock track itself is different to the usual Copylock.

for instance, in every usual circumstance, if you try to copy Copylock, it will show up as an error.

The F-29 Retaliator Copylock doesn't show up at all when copying the original, it appears as a normal dos track.
Thanks mate, all is clear now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
This explains why you could (with Synchro Express or similar) duplicate i.e. the original disks of Dragon's Lair (I successfully did it), but not (or having difficulties) duplicate the 1st generation copy in order to obtain a 2nd generation copy.
Every "n+1"-generation copy was worst than its "n"-generation parent.

It was some sort of "analogue" copy instead of "digital"...

Last edited by Supamax; 13 May 2011 at 03:26.
Old 13 May 2011, 05:35   #90
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
So can someone post or make a tut that would allow to change an amiga drive motor speed ? I found no schematics about such a thing.
I remember when Dragons lair came out and i did experiments with drive speed to try to slow them down. The drives i had all had an automatic sensor control that continually maintained the speed despite my best efforts to manipulate the speed. I got lucky on one attempt and managed to get disk 1 working but was never able to get a good copy of the entire game. Funny thing was, i never really cared about the game... it was all about doing something i wasn't supposed to do. I think i spent more hoursdoing that kind of stuff than playing the games
Old 13 May 2011, 09:12   #91
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I have found the "hidden" copylock type used on the following games:

5th Gear
Battle Valley
Cabal
Castle Master
Cloud Kingdoms
Crossbow
Cyberball (SPS 1446)
F-29 Retaliator
Gravity
Guardian Angel
Hard Drivin'
Ivanhoe
Photon Storm
Pyramax
Rainbow Islands (SPS 26)
Rick Dangerous
Toobin
Warhead
Old 13 May 2011, 13:53   #92
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
But he would need PowerCopy Pro sources... and they are not available (the author denied their distribution)

PowerCopyPro sources are not necessary for good coders like StingRay to make some changes/updates. Perhaps he resourced this program to crack.

In most cases original sources are useles for most of coders. A lots of Amiga sources are available as free (XAD, EP2 etc), and no one make updates/changes.

Quote:
Do you mean Marauder II is able to slowdown the drive by software? Cool!!!!

(I suppose it uses some sort of software PWM)
I don't know, I never tested this program.
Old 14 May 2011, 00:16   #93
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
it was all about doing something i wasn't supposed to do. I think i spent more hoursdoing that kind of stuff than playing the games
Eh... I do understand you!
Old 14 May 2011, 10:19   #94
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
This explains why you could (with Synchro Express or similar) duplicate i.e. the original disks of Dragon's Lair (I successfully did it), but not (or having difficulties) duplicate the 1st generation copy in order to obtain a 2nd generation copy.
Every "n+1"-generation copy was worst than its "n"-generation parent.

It was some sort of "analogue" copy instead of "digital"...
Exactly. You copy all imperfections happening when writing the data originally (bitshift, wobble, media surface irregularities, etc.) and add them to the next gen. Digital copies usually are refreshed (e.g. when using X-Copy) by regenrating MFM from data read to memory.

The way these copies work also means there are protections that can not be duplicated. E.g. weak bits, flux reversal suppression or everything else that deals with writing the data in a special way that will come back differently when reading. CopyLock AmigaDOS is one of these protections. A normaly copier will only see an ADOS track, nothing else. The protection is completely hidden in the gap area.
Old 28 October 2011, 16:33   #95
Don_Adan

Quote:
This would be very hard (let's say impossible) to do. StingRay would have to modify PowerCopy without having sources, hints, etc.

REALLY? I have a very vague memory of it, but I thought it was a fake (copying DL without hardware like Cyclone etc.)...
Do you know where can I find that version of Marauder II which is able to do that? I have Dragon's Lair original, I can test it.
Here is Dragon's Lair copier.
Attached Files
File Type: lzx Dragon.lzx (12.3 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by Don_Adan; 01 November 2011 at 16:43.
Old 01 November 2011, 02:35   #96
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Hers is Dragon's Lair copier.
Thanks!
Ehm.. could you (or somebody) kindly extract it and upload it in a more common format (.zip, .rar etc.) ?
Old 01 November 2011, 07:23   #97
Josh
Lord of Amiga-Manuals

That's possible

Cheers Josh
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dragon.zip (12.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 02 November 2011, 16:09   #98
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
That's possible

Cheers Josh
Thanks

EDIT:
REQUIREMENTS:

1. THE ABILITY TO BE ABLE TO SLOW DOWN YOUR DRIVES

2. CV-PARAMETER COPIER (OPTIONAL)

3. TWO DRIVES
Old 04 November 2011, 22:44   #99
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
REQUIREMENTS:

1. THE ABILITY TO BE ABLE TO SLOW DOWN YOUR DRIVES
USE MARAUDER II. Do you have a copy?
Old 05 November 2011, 14:03   #100
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
USE MARAUDER II. Do you have a copy?
Yes but... Marauder II is not able to slow down the drive.
The ability to slow down the drive is still mandatory ...

Wait! Do you mean "Use Marauder II ONLY" in order to make a working copy of Dragon's Lair?
But, doing so, the copy will be a patched one, not 1:1.