English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 November 2008, 10:55   #921
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

It was a nice retrogaming sunday mornig: I played (chating ) Slap fight, Salamander and Meas Streak for C64.
Old 02 November 2008, 11:38   #922
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'm currently playing Fallout 3 (thanks Shoonay ) and I got the 'Woah a big world to explore ' bug again It's quite nice and it even runs on my 'old' machine.
Old 02 November 2008, 14:13   #923
Shoonay
Global Caturator

You're welcome TCD my friend, even if I don't remember what have I done, lol...
I got bored with FO3 for now, must be the way-too-big-to-even-start-exploring bug
I need an impulse, or the whole hype to cool down.

Tried the newest Red Alert 3 game, and besides the great main menu russian theme (Soviet March), IMHO the RA series is... it's going downhill...
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Command and Conquer series from the very 1st one I finished on my PSX, I just... don't quite "feel" the Red Alert world in the series.

The first one (RA) was pretty cool, tho the cheap Tanya bitch sniper and 3 pixel dogs weren't my cup, the 2nd one looked like a cheap gay disco (oh god, the eye-bitchin' colours) even if it run on the great Tiberian Sun engine (which i loved) it somehow lacked playability and potential.
(Never tried the Generals btw, but from what I saw, I think I would not like it.)

And now the 3rd one, that runs on my beloved C&C3 engine (+ expansion )...
This should be named Command and Score: Red Panties 3 - look at all the pretty babes!

I tried all 3 campaigns, and the missions lack the feel of patriotic power (GDI) or evil power (NOD) and still pop my eyes with ultra-bright colors.
And trying the British (Allies) campaign, when the Soviets attacked me with red penis-look-a-like bears... oh god, please.
Now THAT was just too much for me...
Old 02 November 2008, 14:50   #924
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
You're welcome TCD my friend, even if I don't remember what have I done, lol...
I got bored with FO3 for now, must be the way-too-big-to-even-start-exploring bug
I need an impulse, or the whole hype to cool down.
Well you started that thread over at OT and the one before and the one before that and... Without you I wouldn't be so curious how the game plays I think I got now how to play it and it's quite fun to gain the next perk. It has little to do with the old Fallout games (except the setting of course), but it's not Oblivion either. You can follow the story quite easy if you want to and the map is really helpful. Maybe you just wait till the hype had cooled down a bit Shoonay
Old 02 November 2008, 20:49   #925
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Today I also find a 100% disk version of Golden Axe for C64. Every disk version I found before is without the last level with the final battle against Death Adder.

Enjoy this nice release by Nostalgia here
Old 02 November 2008, 20:52   #926
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Today I also find a 100% disk version of Golden Axe for C64. Every disk version I found before is without the last level with the final battle against Death Adder.

Enjoy this nice release by Nostalgia here
Erm. I gave you the link some month ago.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...&highlight=c64

Unfortunately some C64 sites are down atm.
Old 02 November 2008, 22:58   #927
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Erm. I gave you the link some month ago.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...&highlight=c64

Unfortunately some C64 sites are down atm.

Ops... I forgot... maybe when I tried the link the website was offline.
Old 03 November 2008, 22:20   #928
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Currently playing Starcraft Anthology I had a damaged cd and couldn't play for years, until I discovered the game can be downloaded from Blizzards on-line shop for free if you have your cd key
Old 07 November 2008, 18:51   #929
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Playing Blue Thunder, Moon Cresta and Psytron, all ZX Spectrum games.

Still got to play Lunar Jetman, Sabre Wulf, Match Point, Full Trottle, Lords of MIdnight... loooonnng list.
Old 08 November 2008, 18:26   #930
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I finally completed Fist II for C64!

EDIT: and now I'm playing Devil May Cry 4 on PC. Even in low res and low quality this game rocks!!!

Last edited by MazinKaesar; 12 November 2008 at 22:16.
Old 13 November 2008, 13:57   #931
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
...the game can be downloaded from Blizzards on-line shop for free if you have your cd key
Hmmm... I must find out if I can replace my damaged "WarCraft III The Frozen Throne" cd this way... it got stuck in de CDROM drawer and got a nasty scratch on the top layer
Old 13 November 2008, 15:17   #932
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
Hmmm... I must find out if I can replace my damaged "WarCraft III The Frozen Throne" cd this way... it got stuck in de CDROM drawer and got a nasty scratch on the top layer
IIRC Warcraft III is supported for download of 'electronic copy'. Only game that I have and is not supported is first 2 warcraft games. (I do have first part from battlechest, but I've lost second game, main disk) I still have .net edition of Warcraft2.

I'm playing 'the punisher' - capcom arcade.
Old 13 November 2008, 20:49   #933
rsn8887

Been thoroughly hooked on Mercury Meltdown Remix on PS2 the last couple days.

Once you get past the generally quirky visuals with their appalling color schemes and the slightly boring first few levels, it turns out to be an absolutely ingenious game.

It has tons of innovative gameplay elements, with new ones being introduced every 3-4 levels. And there's hundreds of levels.

The achievements are really cool too, rewarding you for
a) finishing levels fast
b) collecting all the scattered stars on your way
c) and not losing any of your mercury.

c) is really innovative: You can finish most levels with just a little blob of mercury left. But to unlock stuff fast and get high scores, you really want to save every little drop. This keeps me jumping back to the old levels I finished crappily to try and finish them without losing any mercury.

This gradual losing of mercury also makes for a much more forgiving gameplay compared to Super Monkeyball, where it is immediately over when you fall of the edge. Here, if you go slightly over the edge, you just lose some driplets of your mercury but you can still finish the level. However, it is still mighty challenging.

Awesome stuff all in all.
Old 13 November 2008, 21:29   #934
Graham Humphrey

I bought that ages ago, haven't played it for months though. I should give it a go again as it's really good.
Old 13 November 2008, 21:47   #935
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Some days ago I also played some "minor" C64 games just for curiosity: Last Mission, Dragon's Kingdom, Jackal (I loved the coin-op, the 2 conversions for C64 are just a bit funny).
Old 16 November 2008, 19:23   #936
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

finished Stalker: Clear Sky yesterday (with the latest patch, only a few minor glitches remain).

The game begins really strong, fun and difficult, but at about 1/3 of the game it starts to degrade rapidly. The game doesn't have the same atmosphere as the original where you had the dread of being attacked at every corner you take; large parts of the game are actually very safe and you are just walking from A to B with your artifact scanner out in stead of your weapon! Parts of the game like the garbage that are overrun with bandits become safe after a certain point, making the game even more boring.

The game is also terribly short; the only thing that lengthens it is the fact that you are scouting for weapons and artifacts to sell for quite a long time, making money is not as easy in this game and it doesn't help that all your money will get robbed at one point, something you cannot prevent! The ending is almost non-existent. No epic final battle, no real story of any kind. At least the original had SOME kind of story, although a very weak and underdeveloped one.

Good points: better graphics, you can repair and upgrade your stuff, scouts that can instantly transport you to a location (for a price), harder and more challenging to find artifacts, slightly better AI, more factions to join, far better damage model; a grenade is actually lethal now and the enemies do like to throw them, a few more areas to visit and existing areas are linked to each other in more places.

Definitely NOT worth the money, at all. The original stalker is endlessly more fun.
Old 17 November 2008, 14:51   #937
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I've been playing Warcraft II for some time now. (slowly, without cheats)

Last weekend I played Lionheart, Alien Breed, Rick Dangerou and Agony, while I was testing something on my xBox. It is nice to play those games on big screen again.

I've spent a lot of time on deleting duplicate stuff I have on multiple external hard disks.
Old 17 November 2008, 15:05   #938
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Played Lorna and Legend of Exploding Fist. Might & Maigc 2 is "in pause" as I prefer to play RPG when I have much free time. Stuck even in Devil May Cry 4, I will continue it as I found some free time.
Old 17 November 2008, 21:46   #939
Monsterland

Got bored of Bioshock at about 2/3rd of the game. Once you get used to its beautiful art deco environment and creepy atmosphere it starts to become a shooter like any other. Busy with Mass Effect right now, I just love dramatical scifi adventure rpg's
Old 18 November 2008, 08:57   #940
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterland View Post
Got bored of Bioshock at about 2/3rd of the game. Once you get used to its beautiful art deco environment and creepy atmosphere it starts to become a shooter like any other. Busy with Mass Effect right now, I just love dramatical scifi adventure rpg's
Ever tried System Shock 2? It hasn't been beaten yet and now that Bioshock has been released it can even be considered a retro game! Amazing game.