English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 10 May 2016, 16:43   #921
shaf

how did you get sysinfo to display properly? what was your default WB screensize before mode promotion?
Old 10 May 2016, 16:55   #922
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

My Workbench is 1680x1050x32bit. Mode pro is configured for "program name" sysinfo, "Promotion" Monitor Type and using P96-0:NVIDIA-1:640x480 and the key is checking "Force Planar".

I asked in the "News" section under the Sysinfo4 thread and someone suggested using ModePro and checking "Force Planar".
Old 11 May 2016, 13:41   #923
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

There's nothing like having your HD start flaking out on you, to replacing it and getting most everything set up and configured again only to realize your 80 GB drive is showing only 16 GB of space! Gparted the drive with an Amiga DOS Partition Table then started the process over again. 4 GB System, 10 GB Work, 10 GB Data, 15 GB Games, 15 GB Emulation, 10 GB Misc and 10 GB Development.....much better (all PSF3). About 85% done installing and configuring. Hit a speedbump when the NIC wasn't being accessed with the OpenPCI drivers like it was previously....realized I had copied it with OpenPCI_8139.device naming and it needs to be openpci_8139.device.

So much fun

Eh...looks like a good time to add some screenshots and directions on Picasso96Mode, since I still need to do that on this machine, for the Installation Guide Part 2.
Old 12 May 2016, 01:59   #924
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Picasso96Mode section now added to the Installation Guide Part 2. A nice utility is linked (UMC) that was recently posted to Aminet for getting the numbers for different resolutions/Hz to input into Picasso96Mode. I also linked a very nice guide for using Picasso96Mode (more detail in using) before I walk through creating my 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz screen mode. I also include the proper changes to make to your S:Startup-Sequence as well (this will require you to know your monitor specs).

http://amithlon.snkbitten.com/snkbittenguide2.html
Old 15 May 2016, 22:22   #925
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Is there anything else that needs to go in the guide(s)? I think pretty much everything to get Amithlon up and running is covered with the most anything else up to the individual (Prefs app settings, visual enhancements, etc.). Is there anything I've left out that others always do to their Amithlon system that would be nice to include in the Install guides?

I'd love to see some examples of E-UAE configurations and things that others are doing to push it above a simple AmigaOS install.

I've got SMBFS connecting to my NAS box, netprinter.device talking to my wireless printer, Shapeshifter running very nicely and always looking for something else.

I may examine porting an app (if source is available) to the native Amithlon (using x86-ami-bin and x86-ami-gcc off aminet).

Any input is welcomed. Tweaks, optional utilities, edits to startup-sequence/user-startup , etc..
Old 15 May 2016, 22:59   #926
shaf

An example of using PFS of SFS to get the initial Partition Made would be nice for users not that familiar with the process.
Old 15 May 2016, 23:38   #927
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

If you are booting off bigird.gz (using loadlin @amithlon) you can either have pfs3 in the bigird.gz file per croupier's guide or just have it already extracted and written to a CD. I've build my own Amithlon CD with most of the files/patches/updates added to it so I have everything ready to go with one CD.

Load the pfs3 filesystem into your RDB using HDToolBox. You'll use HDToolBox to setup your hard disk that you will be installing Amithlon too but make sure when you go to partition it you add/update the psf3 filesystem first. Then size out your partition and change the filesystem to the pfs3 one instead of the ffs one. Then when you create a partition it will use the pfs3 (or sfs if using that filesystem). It's in the RDB of the HD, that's all you need to use it. You can run the installer after your system is built if you want the utilities and such from it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDToolbox1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	48440
Click on Add/Update at the bottom right

Name:	HDToolbox2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	48441
Click add new file system at the bottom left and browse to where you have extracted the pfs3 file system handler

Name:	HDToolbox1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	48440
This time click on Change at the bottom right

Name:	HDToolbox3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	48442
Choose the custom file system.

Now partitions on this drive will be created with PFS until you "Change" the file system to something else for the next partition.

Last edited by SnkBitten; 15 May 2016 at 23:47.
Old 16 May 2016, 07:19   #928
croupier

Had no time lately to play with Amithlon...but I have always issues with drivers for cards on the PC side....

I know that the easiest is to use hardware supported directly by the Kernel in use....without the use of pciinsmod option....but if I recall correctly from all the instructions I used to read in the past there are two additional options in Amithlon to get PC hardware recognised....one is the use of drivers that come with individual Kernels (Kernel 3 and Kernel 4) and are available by using pciinsmod.....I think I'm OK with them under Kernel 3... but never managed to get them running under Kernel 4...:-( ...

How to use the openpci drivers?...that's the 3rd option if I'm correct...isn't it?
Old 16 May 2016, 12:40   #929
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

OpenPCI would be one of the options. I'm using the openpci_8139.device driver for my Realtek 8139 network card. The problem with OpenPCI is there are very few drivers for Amithlon. The only ones I've seen are:

http://bvernoux.free.fr/DevPCI.php
Device (percent completed)
RTL8139A/B/C/D network card (100%)
Soundblaster driver included in AHI6 (80%)
ArakAttack USB OpenPCI driver (10%)
AmithlonTV for BT8x8 and other TV card (??)
OpenPCI/Zorro Catweasel MK3 keyboard Driver (??)
OpenPCI driver for Catweasel MK3/MK4 PCI/Flipper (??)

With most linking to no longer valid websites.

The OpenPCI stuff requires the openpci.library, powerpci.library and whatever device's device device, like the openpci_8139.device driver I use for my RT8139 card.
Old 17 May 2016, 16:05   #930
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Still hoping to see what others are doing to customize their workbench, enhancements, utilities, etc..that they like to use. I haven't touched AmigaOS probably in 20 years so there's a lot I don't remember or that happened after I stopped using it. Amithlon with accelerated video can handle most visual enhancements with ease....so tell me what you've got
Old 18 May 2016, 01:11   #931
esc

I really think it would be neat to reverse engineer ClassicWB 3.9 and create a hybrid installer to duplicate that look/feel/functionality. It's a "comfortable" place for me to work and I really like Bloodwych's methods

Old 18 May 2016, 09:01   #932
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

It's not difficult tbh. ClassicWB3.9 rocks and most of the clever and nice Bloodwych methods can be cloned quite easily.

As an example, for starters you can install the following:
- JanoEditor
- ButtonMenu (which is used a lot in ClassicWB) and get all config from SYS:System/BMenu
- DirectoryOpus 4.16 and get and it's config from ClassicWB
- ToolsDaemon for right click menu (and get it's config from ClassicWB - Envarc:ToolsPrefs.prefs)
- EaglePlayer (and get it's config and modules from ClassicWB)
- VoodooX
- FileX

Some tricks like S:Assign-Startup called from User-Startup etc for having all assigns in one place you can use or not.
Thinks like Multistartup with Left or Right click needs a bit more time to configure and dunno how much they're needed in an Amithlon system.
Old 19 May 2016, 00:47   #933
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

For fun I compiled my own kernel 4 removing all the other video modules (kept nvidia and vesa only), removed all the sound modules (using AHI provided driver for my SB LIVE) and all the network drivers and compiled in the RTL8169 10/100/1000 only (built in, not a module).

Swapped out my RTL8139 (openpci_8139.device driver) card for the RTL8169 card and powered up the system. Everything came up perfectly...tested sound..works, I'm still at 1680x1050x32bit so the framebuffer is fine. I go into Genesis Wizard and setup the device (amithlon1_net.device) and it works perfectly!

Nice!

Last edited by SnkBitten; 19 May 2016 at 01:34.
Old 19 May 2016, 01:58   #934
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Here's my system again....my partitions, my NAS (Vol1 and Vol2) and Google Drive and Dropbox.

Name:	MyWorkBench.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	48494

Here's the same though I threw a few shell windows and my System disk opened and all moved slightly off-screen after having patched the kickstart in smallird.gz.

Name:	MyWorkBench2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	48495

I grabbed the background pic from the AmiKit thread
Old 19 May 2016, 09:14   #935
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
For fun I compiled my own kernel 4 removing all the other video modules (kept nvidia and vesa only), removed all the sound modules (using AHI provided driver for my SB LIVE) and all the network drivers and compiled in the RTL8169 10/100/1000 only (built in, not a module).

Swapped out my RTL8139 (openpci_8139.device driver) card for the RTL8169 card and powered up the system. Everything came up perfectly...tested sound..works, I'm still at 1680x1050x32bit so the framebuffer is fine. I go into Genesis Wizard and setup the device (amithlon1_net.device) and it works perfectly!

Nice!
That is cool.. I wonder how many people these days use on 8139 10/100 cards.. we all have 8111/8168/8169 gigabit devices...
Old 19 May 2016, 19:29   #936
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Installed SimpleMail, can now access my Gmail account on Amithlon. Downloaded the latest TwittAmiga from Aminet and can now see my twitter feed. Can print to my WiFi printer. Can access my NAS box, Google Drive and Dropbox.

AmigaOS is still a pretty capable OS for being as old as it is.....

Of course running on Amithlon gives it some nice grunt.
Old 20 May 2016, 10:23   #937
jdog320

What about Warp3D?
Old 20 May 2016, 21:49   #938
NMI

Warp3D requires a Voodoo graphics card to work on Amithlon if I'm not mistaken.
But Wazp3D is software only and Amithlon got lots and lots of cpu-cycles to burn. So what about Wazp3D?
Old 21 May 2016, 02:17   #939
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMI View Post
Warp3D requires a Voodoo graphics card to work on Amithlon if I'm not mistaken.
But Wazp3D is software only and Amithlon got lots and lots of cpu-cycles to burn. So what about Wazp3D?
It works. I probably need to lower my screen mode to something less than 1680x1050x32 though. Maybe try some 1024x768x32. At my current resolution the demos run okay though some of the more advanced ones struggle (even as a window smaller than the desktop).
Old 21 May 2016, 06:18   #940
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

PowerwindowsNG is nice but it's causing tremendous slow downs in moving windows, opening apps (the apps display window) that I had to remove it from WBStartup. It's nice to move windows off edge but not worth the slow down.

It may be the large 32bit display that's part of the problem but I really don't want to drop below my monitors native resolution.