English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 08 March 2010, 00:37   #881
desiv

Thanx.

Good info..
That was an old thread. I had someone burn me a set, but it didn't work.
I don't think he had the right ROM file or maybe there was a burn issue.
(Or maybe my A-Max doesn't work...)

At least he only charged me a few bucks for the attempt. :-)

I have a new post up there looking for the ROMs, and I'll see what I can find locally.

I'm patient, so I'm sure I'll get a set eventually.

desiv
Old 08 March 2010, 00:43   #882
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have checked the A-Max II+ card I've just bought, and it has Version 3 ROMs.

This is the most common version, and the best one to look for, since the bugs were fixed.
There's a guy who sells programmed EPROMs... perhaps it would be possible for desiv (if he can't find the original ROMs) to make the guy sell him the programmed EPROMs. I know this is not very legal, but hey...

EDIT: oops, I now read that desiv tried the "burned" solution, with no good results...
Old 08 March 2010, 00:48   #883
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Thanx.

Good info..
That was an old thread. I had someone burn me a set, but it didn't work.
I don't think he had the right ROM file or maybe there was a burn issue.
(Or maybe my A-Max doesn't work...)

At least he only charged me a few bucks for the attempt. :-)
I was wondering why you had said they were "on their way".

Quote:
I have a new post up there looking for the ROMs, and I'll see what I can find locally.

I'm patient, so I'm sure I'll get a set eventually.
Good luck with that.

BTW, that Mac Plus went for $4.25 + $20 shipping in the end.
Old 08 March 2010, 01:05   #884
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
There's a guy who sells programmed EPROMs... perhaps it would be possible for desiv (if he can't find the original ROMs) to make the guy sell him the programmed EPROMs. I know this is not very legal, but hey...

EDIT: oops, I now read that desiv tried the "burned" solution, with no good results...
It's still possible.. I'm not convinced that the file used was what was needed for the ROMs.... And it's possible it was a bad burn..

If I can find a Mac with the 128K roms, I can dump them. My oldest Mac is a Classic, so it's too new.. (Hard to believe.. :-)

But I'd rather have the originals eventually...

Yeah, I figured the ebay auction would go for that. I bid $4 :-). I didn't want to go over $25 for the ROMs. I wouldn't normally consider that much, but it would have an internal drive and possibly some other parts, so I popped in $4, hoping the other bidder was cheaper than me. (Doubtful :-)

desiv
Old 08 March 2010, 22:01   #885
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's still possible.. I'm not convinced that the file used was what was needed for the ROMs.... And it's possible it was a bad burn..

If I can find a Mac with the 128K roms, I can dump them.
The problem with burning the 128K Mac Plus ROM image to EPROMS is that the file first needs to be deinterleaved to split it into high bytes and low bytes. It is not simply a matter of burning the first half of the image into the HI ROM and the second half into the LO ROM.

AFAIK, this technique is not applicable to all machines (Acorns, for example), but it DOES apply to Macintoshes, so the person doing the job must (a) know what he's doing and (b) must be given all available information concerning the job.
Old 09 March 2010, 01:06   #886
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
well was going set mac emulators up to day in WinUAE on a nice WB3.5 install I made sunday

Only to find the Ebnola Virus has infected all my hard work, oh well, reinstall wb3.5 and try again.

Really need nail where these viruses are hanging out but searching through 50gig+ takes its tole

So anyone able point Desiv to someone with a eprom programmer ? who knows what they are doing, presume he has eproms and the start of a file to be burnt/programmed
what is it called when you burn/program eproms ? I know you burn CD`s but do you Blow chips ?
Old 09 March 2010, 03:38   #887
desiv

Thanx.. Didn't know about the interleave, and I'm sure the guy who burned it didn't either..
Think I'll pull out my ROMs and take a look at what kind they are and see if I can find a valid image and someone who knows how to burn it..

As for the Utilities disk.
It's definitely Mac format.
I know that because I just put it in my Mac classic and it read it no problems. :-)

I even created a folder on the HD and copied all the contents into it...

"But" you ask, "where is the image?????"

Jeesh, after all this time, I'd think you'd be more patient.. Some people.. :-)

I don't have DiskCopy on my Mac. :-(

Just checked.

I have to set up my PC with a floppy (which is behind me) and hook it to my monitor (which currently is attached to my 1200) so I can DL DiskCopy and place it on a floppy to move to the Mac.

If all goes well, there should be an image or 2 up there tonight still...

I have to cook dinner tho, so that will slow me down. :-)

But, no disk errors when I copied the files to the Mac HD.

Too bad this laptop has no floppy and the Mac has no ...er. well.. no anything :-)

But keep the faith... Should be soon...

desiv
Old 09 March 2010, 03:52   #888
desiv

Uh oh...
Not a calamity, but this will push your patience a bit more..
Apparently my Mac Classic doesn't have a SuperDisk (or it's missing the driver, but I'd bet it's an 800k).. :-(

I'll have to swing by the other house tomorrow and use one of my other Macs..
I'll try formatting a DSDD PC disk and see if the Mac can read it..
I swear I thought I used to transfer files from my PC straight to this guy before, but it's been a long time...

I did make a copy of the disk, MAC format. So I have a backup now at least..

desiv
Old 09 March 2010, 05:14   #889
desiv

OK, I formatted a 720K floppy and the Mac won't read it.
So I don't have that software on the Mac... :-(

I can see if I can get it there, but it's running System 6, so I'm not sure I can.
(It might have come with System 7 and I rebuilt it to 6, losing the DOS reading..)

If not, I'll take the floppy with me and fire up one of my other Macs..

Sheeesh. I thought this was going to be easier.. ;-)

desiv
Old 09 March 2010, 05:32   #890
desiv

OK (Wow, don't you wish I'd just do this and stop giving you updates!!!),

I do have a SuperDrive. I thought I did...

I just lost the software for it, probably when I re-installed.

Anyway, among the disks i got with my AMax stuff was some Mac stuff, and one of them has Apple File Exchange.
With that, I am able to read a file on my HD floppy disk.

So, if I can copy the diskcopy program over and install it, I should be able to make an image and copy it back....

Whew..

OK, no go..

Apparently I need Stuffit or Binhex on the Mac first.
I suppose I could try creating a Mac image HD floppy with the software on it and stuff, but it's getting to be too many steps.

I just need to get to one of my other Macs and image this up.
(And copy Stuffit onto a disk for this Mac for future use..)

So, it'll be tomorrow at least..

Sorry..

Good news is that I can run the Mac transfer utilities on my Mac. I didn't create any transfer disks, but the software loaded and ran...

Last update before I head to sleep. I was able to find a disk image with Stuffit and write that to a HD floppy.

But it wouldn't even try to decompress the .bin versions of Disk Copy that I was throwing onto the floppy.
I eventually formatted a HD floppy on the Mac and mounted it in Linux.

Then I copied the Disk Copy.bin to the floppy and unmounted it. I was able to copy that to the Mac no prob, and Stuffit saw it, but it hangs the Mac when I try to expand it.... Close.....

So, no joy in Mudville here tonight. I'll take the disk in tomorrow and see what I can do..

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 09 March 2010 at 08:07.
Old 09 March 2010, 14:01   #891
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for all your effort, desiv!

It's good to hear that the files on the disk are not damaged, as evidenced by your success in copying them to your Macintosh's hard drive. It sounds like you'll get there in the end!

One thing I would ask, if you manage to create the 800K disk image with Apple Disk Copy: Now that you've discovered you have an Apple SuperDrive, could you copy the 800K image onto a 1.44MB DOS- or Macintosh-formatted floppy disk and make an image of that HD floppy disk using RAWRITE2 on your pc for uploading here, please? That would preserve the data and resource forks of the 800K floppy image to more readily enable me to reproduce it here. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RAWRITE2.zip (8.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 09 March 2010, 15:19   #892
desiv

Quote:
Thanks for all your effort, desiv!
No prob. Wish I'd left my Classic with more software on it (Stuffit, BinHex, DiskCopy) when I last worked on it, but we're techs. Our machines are always the worst.. :-)

Quote:
One thing I would ask, if you manage to create the 800K disk image with Apple Disk Copy: Now that you've discovered you have an Apple SuperDrive, could you copy the 800K image onto a 1.44MB DOS- or Macintosh-formatted floppy disk and make an image of that HD floppy disk using RAWRITE2 on your pc for uploading here, please? That would preserve the data and resource forks of the 800K floppy image to more readily enable me to reproduce it here. Thanks.
I could do that. I'll have to take the floppy (once I get it made) back to work and find a Windows box with a floppy. My floppy desktop here (with the floppy) is Linux.
Or I could just "dd" it, which used to be the same as rawrite I believe, although I haven't used rawrite2 and haven't used rawrite in ages.

I should have used Stuffit on the backup directory on my Mac HD and copied that SIT file to my PC, but I didn't think about that last night and I am heading into work now.

Oh well, we're close....

desiv
Old 09 March 2010, 15:25   #893
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'll have to take the floppy (once I get it made) back to work and find a Windows box with a floppy. My floppy desktop here (with the floppy) is Linux.
Or I could just "dd" it, which used to be the same as rawrite I believe, although I haven't used rawrite2 and haven't used rawrite in ages.
Yes, you could 'dd' it under Linux. That would be pretty much the same as using RAWRITE2.

Thanks!
Old 09 March 2010, 17:47   #894
desiv

To be honest, I'm having fun getting back into the Mac stuff...
Every time I do something stupid or realize I did (like not installing Stuffit/Binhex/DiskCopy on my Classic), I go D'oh!, and then smile....

Those old memories memories are pretty buried, but still there. Just enough for me to remember, but only after I find out. :-)

I have the disk with me, and I'm pretty sure one of my Macs is set up still on a cart.
I'll swing by around lunch time (as long as things don't blow up here, as can happen) and try to get the image..

desiv
Old 09 March 2010, 17:54   #895
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
To be honest, I'm having fun getting back into the Mac stuff...
Every time I do something stupid or realize I did (like not installing Stuffit/Binhex/DiskCopy on my Classic), I go D'oh!, and then smile....

Those old memories memories are pretty buried, but still there. Just enough for me to remember, but only after I find out. :-)
Yes, that sense of achievement every time a bit more of the puzzle drops into place becomes quite addictive after a while, and that explains why these forums are always so active.

Quote:
I have the disk with me, and I'm pretty sure one of my Macs is set up still on a cart.
I'll swing by around lunch time (as long as things don't blow up here, as can happen) and try to get the image..
Thanks for everything you're doing. Your contribution to this thread is already way above our expectations. Be sure to let us know if there's anything specific we can help you with in return.
Old 10 March 2010, 00:03   #896
desiv

OK, remind me never to try to run a Mac... :-)

So far, where I am... Ran home to try to grab an image.
Plugged in the main older Mac (with the external HD and CD), turned it on...

Garbled screen.. :-( So, I check it out.. Looks like the Video on the Mac isn't happy. It's there, and I can tell it's working, but it's garbled enough I can't use it.
So I grab the Mac that's been in the garage.. Hook it up to the monitor..
It starts to boot. Mouse pointer (so monitor is working fine) and nothing else..
I think it might not have been working before, probably just needs a HD rebuild/replace.

OK, run upstairs and grab the IIsi from the closet (Don't ask me, people gave them to me..). Fire it up.. It works!!

YeaY!!

OK, ..er.. No Disk Copy!! :-( Aarrghhhh!!!

Wait, go grab the external HD from downstairs and plug it in and reboot...

OK, there's the OS, there's the external HD, and....
There is DiskCopy!!!

Yeah, grab an image.. It works.. Copy the image to an MS DOS floppy (It's tiny by the way. 40k, but then again, there's not much on that disk).

Running late.. Rush back to work. Grab the floppy and..

Yep, new machine, no floppy here. :-(
(There might be a USB floppy around, but..)

Wow, this is crazy stuff.. :-)

Anyway, I also grabbed the external HD. If it works on my Mac Classic, I can grab another image as a backup/comparison when I get home..

Also, if it works (and I get DiskImage on the Classic), I can test reading the img file and mounting it on the Mac Classic to make sure it works..

So, we are making progress.. :-)

Oh well, even more behind here.. TTYL

desiv
Old 10 March 2010, 00:09   #897
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey, that deserves respect!

Thanks for the detailed account, desiv!

Tell me, have you actually managed to get anything else done today?
Old 10 March 2010, 00:28   #898
desiv

Quote:
Tell me, have you actually managed to get anything else done today?
It sounded crazy, but it actually only took about an hour.
Would have been quicker, but the IIsi boots a bit slowly. :-)

I allotted myself 30 minutes for it.

Not too bad.. :-)

desiv
Old 10 March 2010, 02:22   #899
Supamax

You're a cool guy, desiv!

Again, thanks for your contribution!
Old 10 March 2010, 02:25   #900
Supamax

Quote:
Yeah, grab an image.. It works.. Copy the image to an MS DOS floppy (It's tiny by the way. 40k, but then again, there's not much on that disk).
So tiny?
Does DiskCopy compress data on-the-fly when creating the image?