English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 15 April 2016, 05:03   #861
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Just hunting down as much info as I can that is still out there and putting it all in one place. Still, I'm sure, a lot of information out there that I don't even know exist....

Amithlon just "clicked" with me, and I believe that it should have, and could have been the future of AmigaOS. As x86 hardware has moved forward (faster and cheaper), Amithlon could have continued to improve alongside as well.

I enjoy WinUAE a lot and use it play around and test things that other Amiga users are doing and then try to apply it to Amithlon (usually in virtualbox first, then real hardware). Possibly because it's on real hardware I feel a greater connection to the Amiga....but I seriously love the speed/power Amithlon has. Just Wicked fast!

Last edited by SnkBitten; 15 April 2016 at 05:17. Reason: More info
Old 15 April 2016, 10:04   #862
croupier

OK....have an issue with Kernel 4 also on the machines I'm working on now (gigabyte MB in a tower and a Notebook Toshiba NB100)....had the same problem on my Presario 700 but then left it on Kernel 3.1 as it is working OK as it is...apart the audio that is not recognized...

The pciinstmod is called form the startup-sequence directly (>NIL:....which means that no errors are shown to the user during boot)...BUT...if I call it from shell I receive always an error that insmod couldn't be linked on the Linux side (cannot recall the exact error shown as I'm at work right now)....Kernel3 and its drivers were not even mounted as I did a clean installation of Amithlon with Kernel 4 from start....

Anyone tried to run pciinstmod manually from shell on their Kernel4 running machines? Do you get the list of mounted devices or the same 'Linux side' error?

To me looks like something is missing in the installation for the Kernel4...but don't know what....
Old 15 April 2016, 10:22   #863
NMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
So if basing off a 64 bit kernel would allow greater "system" memory but still providing 1 GB "amithlon" memory is possible.....it may be. I tried compiling initially on CentOS 3 x86_64 but was getting errors so jumped to CentOS i386.
I don't think that it would be as simple as a recompile, there are probably a lot of 32-bit dependencies that would have to be fixed/re-written.

I wonder if it would be possible to make the Amithlon-kernel ignore all RAM above 1GB and make it work that way?
1GB RAM is an insane amount of RAM in an Amiga anyway.
Old 15 April 2016, 11:48   #864
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I think what most are looking for is having a dual-boot setup (or more) with systems that are happy with 4 GB or more RAM but still be able to boot Amithlon which currently doesn't boot if the machine has more than 1GB of RAM.

Having a Win 7/10, Linux, etc..plus Amithlon multi-booting on fairly new hardware but with lots of RAM installed and not having to physically remove the extra ram when you want to boot in to Amithlon.
Old 15 April 2016, 12:09   #865
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by croupier View Post
OK....have an issue with Kernel 4 also on the machines I'm working on now (gigabyte MB in a tower and a Notebook Toshiba NB100)....had the same problem on my Presario 700 but then left it on Kernel 3.1 as it is working OK as it is...apart the audio that is not recognized...

The pciinstmod is called form the startup-sequence directly (>NIL:....which means that no errors are shown to the user during boot)...BUT...if I call it from shell I receive always an error that insmod couldn't be linked on the Linux side (cannot recall the exact error shown as I'm at work right now)....Kernel3 and its drivers were not even mounted as I did a clean installation of Amithlon with Kernel 4 from start....

Anyone tried to run pciinstmod manually from shell on their Kernel4 running machines? Do you get the list of mounted devices or the same 'Linux side' error?

To me looks like something is missing in the installation for the Kernel4...but don't know what....
I've seen this when I was just starting with Amithlon and I'm seeing it again with kernels I've compiled. I know Milan replied to a few earlier in this thread about the issue but don't remember if it was resolved or not. The kernel and the driver modules are very specific to each other but I've seen the issue with Milan's kernel 4 and his driver modules. It's possible his .diff file/patch and his kernel tree he hosted is missing something that was corrected later?

This is the error:
Could not find/create /insmod on linuxside
Error code: 1

I see it when compiling Kernel 4 but I don't see if when I compile kernel 3.00_test1. I've seen it using Milan's uploaded kernels as well but not all the time (different downloaded versions possibly?....maybe worked in Charlie's guide but not the ones on Milan has on Sourceforge??) This occurs with or without driver modules in place.

Last edited by SnkBitten; 15 April 2016 at 12:18.
Old 15 April 2016, 12:09   #866
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
I think what most are looking for is having a dual-boot setup (or more) with systems that are happy with 4 GB or more RAM but still be able to boot Amithlon which currently doesn't boot if the machine has more than 1GB of RAM.

Having a Win 7/10, Linux, etc..plus Amithlon multi-booting on fairly new hardware but with lots of RAM installed and not having to physically remove the extra ram when you want to boot in to Amithlon.
Yup, you called that as far as I am concerned.

Something like this but with lots of Ram would be cool

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 April 2016, 17:56   #867
Dunny

To be honest, I couldn't give a toss if I run it on an 8GB machine and only get 1GB of RAM for Amithlon - how much native Amiga software is there that requires even that much? The only thing I can think of is ported modern linux software.

Even AROS, with its rather surprising bloat for a 3.9-compatible OS, doesn't need that much to run comfortably.
Old 15 April 2016, 18:40   #868
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

To be honest, it would take a lot to get it running properly for a good mixed OS setup beyond just the extra "host" system ram. The entire video card ram goes into the Amiga OS address space as well, and I believe Bernd is only using 16 MB anyway via P96, so someone would need to figure out how to work with modern graphics cards with their multi-gigabyte ram specifications as I don't think anyone wants an old AGP or PCI 64MB, 128MB or 256MB GFX card running their new system either.

Multi-core, multi GB system ram, multi GB ram GFX cards....all requiring the Amithlon boot kernel to restrict/limit/present a single core, 1 GB ram and a 64+ MB GFX card doesn't sound like an easy (or probable) task.
Old 18 April 2016, 15:54   #869
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Revisiting compiling the kernel there seems to be an issue with modules. I've reached out to Milan hoping to get this resolved. If I compile Gary's kernel and use his modules, all is fine. If I try to use modules compiled along with Gary's kernel (3.00-test1) it looks for modules that didn't get created. When compiling Milan's, no matter what (compiled modules or Milan's modules) you get an error message on running pciinsmod.
Could not find/create /insmod on linuxside
Error code: 1

I downloaded the latest kernel and driver modules Milan has hosted on sourceforge
https://sourceforge.net/projects/amithlon/files/Latest/
and get the same error message with that kernel and driver modules, so I think there may be something off with his tree. I know I had a version of Kernel4 and drivers that did work but testing different downloaded kernel4 kernels I have a version 4.13, 4.14 and one that states "kernel 4 (linux-2.4.37.9) compiled on June 2010" or something similar (which is also what is coded in the kernel tree to compile).

Milan did note that it seems you need to be on the same version of the kernel you are compiling modules for and mentioned he thinks he ran off a 2.4.37.9 version on PuppyLinux to build the modules.

So while the kernel compiles fine, the modules do not. Modules compiled into the kernel seem to work fine though as I've used a network card with a compiled kernel with that particular card built in (* instead of m) for the compile.
Old 18 April 2016, 16:37   #870
themamboman

Hey SnkBitten, did you ever find the 3.10 source? I'd like to diff the changes from there to Milanca's kernel 4.

Also, do you know what Gary's 3.00 that you do have is based from?

Last edited by themamboman; 18 April 2016 at 16:50.
Old 18 April 2016, 17:01   #871
themamboman

Found part of the answer in the version.h file and the Makefile. Gary's 3.0.0 is built from 2.4.19-pre4 of the kernel.
Old 18 April 2016, 17:10   #872
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by themamboman View Post
Found part of the answer in the version.h file and the Makefile. Gary's 3.0.0 is built from 2.4.19-pre4 of the kernel.
No, never found 3.10. I started looking at diff'ing Gary's against stock 2.4.19-pre4 to grab his changes but didn't know if it was pre4-ac1, pre4-ac2, pre4-ac3 or pre4-ac4.
Old 18 April 2016, 18:54   #873
themamboman

I tried with 2.4.19 final and there were a lot of changes.
Old 18 April 2016, 20:50   #874
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by themamboman View Post
I tried with 2.4.19 final and there were a lot of changes.
If you have the time you can try this....I think this is what you'll need to get the version Gary applied his patches so that you can extract his patches from his tree.

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...2.4.18.tar.bz2

patch-2.4.19-pre4
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker....4.19-pre4.bz2

I think you need to apply the patches up on kernel 2.4.18, I don't know if you can do .19-pre4 to .18, or if you have to do each step......ie .19-pre1 to .18, then .19-pre2 to .19-pre1, then .19-pre3 to .19-pre2, etc..

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker....4.19-pre1.bz2
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker....4.19-pre2.bz2
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker....4.19-pre3.bz2

This should get you to 2.4.19-pre4 which you can run a diff of Gary's against.
Old 18 April 2016, 22:20   #875
themamboman

Okay, thanks! I have to figure out the patching then. Never done that before.

Also, I've seen guides on making custom 3.9 Kickstarts. I'm wondering about doing this to replace the shape.rom inside the Amithlon smallird.gz/bigird.gz

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...-(incl-1MB-ROM)
Old 18 April 2016, 22:40   #876
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

You can, start with this..
http://amithlon.snkbitten.com/Docs/ModKS.html

I tried to look at the shape.rom in remus or something and it wouldn't load it. I then followed this guide to do some of the patches they suggested, primarily wanting the PowerWindowsNG features.

For patching, extract your kernel, copy the diff (patch) file into the root kernel directory and
patch -p1 <name_of_patch_file
Old 18 April 2016, 23:06   #877
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I've patched linux-2.4.18 with patch-2.4.19-pre4, then ran a diff between it and Gary's "300src" and uploaded the diff/patch to my site.
(applying patch-2.4.19-pre1 then attempting to apply patch-2.4.19-pre2 wasn't clean...so just applied patch-2.4.19.pre4)

**let me re-do this....getting errors after applying the patch and trying to make or make mrproper.

***re-done....same issues. I'll need to dig deeper.

Last edited by SnkBitten; 18 April 2016 at 23:20.
Old 21 April 2016, 22:29   #878
siyllad

Great guide @SnkBitten

Made me get my old Amithlon system down from the attic, I never could get the usb working on it but following your guide I did thanks.

But I managed to mess it up installing picasso96 so format and try again
Old 21 April 2016, 22:38   #879
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyllad View Post
Great guide @SnkBitten

Made me get my old Amithlon system down from the attic, I never could get the usb working on it but following your guide I did thanks.

But I managed to mess it up installing picasso96 so format and try again
Great, glad it helped. Having USB ports working is nice.
Picasso96 can be a pain sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Old 25 April 2016, 10:37   #880
croupier

Need some help on the Linux side...

Managed to change/add programs on the 'bigird' HD image using the guidelines for the Kickstart update....and it works!

But have issues in case I would like to increase the existing HD image size...presently the HD image inside of 'bigird' is approx. 9 Mb...I managed to remove some files in order to add Prometheus and Arak files (main idea to be able to have the USB ready for installation in case I boot Amithlon from a USB stick on machines without a floppy and/or IDE CD....like on my NB100 and EeePC...)....but would need more space in order to add also MUI...cannot install/set-up USB/Prometheus under Amithlon without MUI...

I'm using Lubuntu (not an expert..just installed it in order to play with the 'bigird' file from Amithlon)...and tried to increase the size of the system file in Linux (installing bigird with losetup and mounting it as per the above mentioned guideline gives me only approx. 12 Mb of available space)....tried using 'dd' and 'resize2fs' but was unable to get more space...the 'dd' command actually increased the size of my 'bigird' file to 30 Mb...but when tried to mount it it still showed only 12 Mb of available space on the mounted volume..

Any ideas how to do it correctly? Need more space in the 'bigird' in order to add a HD image that is larger than the original 9 Mb one....

Thanks!