English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 May 2013, 21:09   #841
Mr B

He posted this image on "page 4" of this thread. I'm not sure if that still stands, but it's your card, so i wont tell you what you can, or cant do...

I'm thinking he might have changed things before production making the info obsolete, possible even risky to use. Looking at the Vesalia image it's a 25Mhz cpu, with a 16.6MHz setting, if i read everything right. Seams unlikely, and if he changed anything, well, then "everything" goes out the window...
Good luck...

Edit
On the other hand, AmigaKit seams to have used the same 33MHz version image for both the ACA1232 25&33 MHz images, And there the setting does match the one in the picture above here. CPU, & speed "jumper" seams set to 33Mhz.

Oh, and the image seams to show the backside, where as the store images show the front.
/Edit

Last edited by Mr B; 08 May 2013 at 21:16.
Old 08 May 2013, 21:25   #842
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
correct - Every now and then, I get a shipment with higher-speed processors, and that's when I can assemble them - combined with the correct clock setting for that processor. Whenever a reseller offers a certain speed, it will be the speed that is printed on the processor. That is also the speed that you get a warranty for. I will not sell any 1220 or 1232 boards with overclocked processors.

That does not mean that a single processor does not run at a higher speed. It means that I cannot provide the level of testing that's required for selling a card with 2 years warranty and customer support at a given price. If you overclock, you're on your own. If someone else overclocks and then sells to you, then this "someone else" will be responsible for the stability of your system.

Jens
Out of curiosity, how are you sourcing the CPUs? Are they newly made or "New Old Stock" or refurbished?
Old 08 May 2013, 21:32   #843
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesalia Online
Note: The 68020 processors are used and can hence carry scratches, dents or other marks. This has certainly no impact on their function or the product warranty, it is just a cosmetic issue.
Must be factory reproductions with scuff-marks and all for authenticity.

But i'm just guessing ;- )
Old 08 May 2013, 23:08   #844
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
He posted this image on "page 4" of this thread. I'm not sure if that still stands, but it's your card, so i wont tell you what you can, or cant do...

I'm thinking he might have changed things before production making the info obsolete, possible even risky to use. Looking at the Vesalia image it's a 25Mhz cpu, with a 16.6MHz setting, if i read everything right. Seams unlikely, and if he changed anything, well, then "everything" goes out the window...
Good luck...

Edit
On the other hand, AmigaKit seams to have used the same 33MHz version image for both the ACA1232 25&33 MHz images, And there the setting does match the one in the picture above here. CPU, & speed "jumper" seams set to 33Mhz.

Oh, and the image seams to show the backside, where as the store images show the front.
/Edit
Oooo, this is interesting, I have an ACA1220/16 here and a nice Gold 25mhz 020 processor sitting here not doing anything.

I have the ACA1232/33 and as far as I can tell PCB's are the same.

(this is my evil mind thinking about what I should do next)
Old 08 May 2013, 23:29   #845
Mr B

They are supposedly the same PCB, but i imagine that they are loaded with different software configuration, and might even come with different speed memories and what not. Just saying i'm not entirely convinced a 1220 can be upgraded to a 1232 in the home office. Upgrading from 68020/16 to /25... sure, that might be doable. I'd hate to be the one trying and finding out that it's not, but who ever tries, good luck.

If we are really lucky, Jens brings a few words on the topic, like "might work, but your on your own" or "No, i doubt that will work, but comes down to luck of the draw with memory speeds"
Old 09 May 2013, 00:01   #846
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
They are supposedly the same PCB, but i imagine that they are loaded with different software configuration, and might even come with different speed memories and what not. Just saying i'm not entirely convinced a 1220 can be upgraded to a 1232 in the home office. Upgrading from 68020/16 to /25... sure, that might be doable. I'd hate to be the one trying and finding out that it's not, but who ever tries, good luck.

If we are really lucky, Jens brings a few words on the topic, like "might work, but your on your own" or "No, i doubt that will work, but comes down to luck of the draw with memory speeds"
Indeed I wasn't expecting to upgrade to 030, probably different CPLD.

But to swap out that plastic 020 for my Gold one and overclock to 25mhz would be nice
Old 09 May 2013, 02:38   #847
mugo

CPU Upgrade

I've already asked in the other thread, but i think Jens haven't seen it. So here it goes again:

@Jens

Is it possible to upgrade the 33MHz CPU on a ACA1232 by a 50MHz CPU?

I mean, of course it's possible to unsolder the original CPU and solder the 50MHz version, and i have all the tools and the expertise to do so. What i want to know is if it's possible to make the board drive the processor at it's new clock rate?

In the table silked on the board there are jumper wirings for up to 40MHz. Is the 50MHz clock possible with the same (standard) FPGA core?

Beside this question, am i wrong in thinking that i may benefit of the CPU change anyway, as the ceramic 50MHz version, even clocked at 40MHz would heat a lot less than the original plastic 33MHz version? Of course, i'm not worried with warranty matters...

Thanks!

Old 09 May 2013, 03:39   #848
Mr B

Seeing as Jens generally tries to get good performance from the stuff, i'm not sure it's as simple as selecting the right jumper setting, and hey, your done. On the other hand, it's pretty simple to test the settings, if one has the balls to replace the CPU. It's the software, firmware, or what ever it should be called, in the CPLD that might throw one of, as well as the components actually used. Steve, you had both a 1232 & a 1220. Compare the memory bits, and if they are the same, then the chance is good that they would work with more of the CPU's. In that case i honestly think it's only the quality of ones balls & the CPLD content holding back.
Old 17 May 2013, 05:30   #849
rampartsagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
If you have a complaint about my website (something like "I can't find XY"), there is an "eMail" button on it, which opens a support ticket. Instead of elaborating here (where I don't officially read it), you could have used the time and tell me and my employees what I could improve.

While I don't think that anyone is making a "federal case" out of it, I do think that some people like to complain for the sake of complaining. /Me just being a technical guy doesn't understand this kind of behaviour. The psychology behind this must be very complex.

Jens
Well i have a complaint some month´s ago i contacted individual for trying to buy a 150 pin conector for an accelerator,and instead of some support i had a ridiculous proposal of trying to expose a personal idea of a project ,sounds like someone in individual wants ideas for projects instead of supporting clients

Thanks in advance
Old 17 May 2013, 18:14   #850
Schoenfeld
electricky.

That's neither a complaint about the website, nor about my products. Note that 150-pin CPU slot connectors are not a product that I sell, but a necessity for making CPU cards. I have paid well over 20k EUR for the tooling, and it's up to me to decide whether I support somebody else's project or not.

One thing you have confirmed with this public complaint is that the support ticket system works: You ask, you get an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugo View Post
I've already asked in the other thread, but i think Jens haven't seen it.
That's because I'm not here on a regular basis. If you want to know details about my products, you need to direct the question to the person you want an answer from. Writing it in a public forum is like "hey, I drive a Volkswagen. I have a question about it, so I print it out and hang it into a window where a Volkswagen employee may see it". You don't really expect that to happen, do you?

Quote:
Is it possible to upgrade the 33MHz CPU on a ACA1232 by a 50MHz CPU?
You can of course solder that in, but you can't clock it at 50MHz. Max would be 40MHz with the timing that the memory controller is running. Anything above that will violate memory timing limits, and you'll have an instable system.

I don't have a memory controller with the required amount of wait states for 50MHz CPU clock for the ACA1232, and I don't even know if it's possible to fit it into the logic (haven't tried yet). Right now, the memory controller benefits from "4 states only", resulting in two state bits only. Once more wait state would require an additional macrocell, and I have my doubts that this can still be routed in the 72-macrocell CPLD. Note that the old ACA1230 used a 144-macrocell CPLD with plenty of routing resources.

Quote:
Beside this question, am i wrong in thinking that i may benefit of the CPU change anyway, as the ceramic 50MHz version, even clocked at 40MHz would heat a lot less than the original plastic 33MHz version? Of course, i'm not worried with warranty matters...
That depends on the 50MHz version you have: Only the "C" version (mask code 1F91C) is the one with the 0,8µm die. All CPUs with the "B" mask (I think there's three of them) have a 1,0µm mask, so they all produce the same amount of heat.

Jens

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 17 May 2013 at 18:25.
Old 18 May 2013, 10:45   #851
Calabazam

Back on the main subject, any release date for the ACA500? Still can't see it at Amigakit's.
Old 19 May 2013, 16:41   #852
Cymru

New products for C64 and Amiga from Individual Computers

I'm happy that we are about to have more solutions to the Amiga's 15Khz problem. Although I found that the SCART-to-HDMI is a much better solution that the GBS-8220 and that piece of crap eBay "15Khz to VGA" thing, Jens' MKIIs and hopefully the ScanJuggler will fill an ongoing need. His accelerators also fill a need the "Community" has, and with the addition of the KS ROMs they will make life easier. It would be nice (but perhaps not economically feasible) to have more X-surf's, Buddha's, and the like, but his company is a business; those of us who run or have run a business know your limitations -- and those of us with familiarity with German (and EU) laws and regulations know that the EU government(s) would rather tax and regulate you into the ground than promote business and growth (isn't there a financial crisis over there?).
Old 19 May 2013, 19:03   #853
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
I'm happy that we are about to have more solutions to the Amiga's 15Khz problem. Although I found that the SCART-to-HDMI is a much better solution that the GBS-8220 and that piece of crap eBay "15Khz to VGA" thing, Jens' MKIIs and hopefully the ScanJuggler will fill an ongoing need. His accelerators also fill a need the "Community" has, and with the addition of the KS ROMs they will make life easier. It would be nice (but perhaps not economically feasible) to have more X-surf's, Buddha's, and the like, but his company is a business; those of us who run or have run a business know your limitations -- and those of us with familiarity with German (and EU) laws and regulations know that the EU government(s) would rather tax and regulate you into the ground than promote business and growth (isn't there a financial crisis over there?).
Yeah I have been reading up on the Scart-to-HDMI scaler and it seems to be gaining a reputation,but for my thruppence I love jens MKII because unlike all these other bits of kit its hidden away nicely by good design and the biggest plus is.....you do not need an external power source to drive it,a big plus and with the new config tool its a winner !
Old 20 May 2013, 00:17   #854
dJOS

The SCART-HDMI adapter is very very good but not perfect, Jens Indivision products are still the gold standard.
Old 21 May 2013, 16:43   #855
Cymru

New products for C64 and Amiga from Individual Computers

I agree, but still unavailable.
Old 21 May 2013, 17:52   #856
kipper2k

Someone has already swapped out the 30mhz 030 and replaced it with a 68030 50 mhz set to run at 40mhz using the resistor settings on the board. It runs stable and cold cos now obviously you are actually underclocking the 030-50mhz cpu and running it at 40mhz getting an increase in performance (He used the 030 50mhz "B" CPU) Using 0 ohm jumper on R2 and R4
Old 22 May 2013, 11:17   #857
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Back on the main subject, any release date for the ACA500? Still can't see it at Amigakit's.
Boards have finally been delivered, but like I wrote earlier (can't remember if it was here), I will be *very* careful not to get into the same trouble as with the ACA620. I will only make a small quantity, test it with a few selected customers and then go into mass-production.

Not sure if I get to all that this week. It's a bit hectic here since the results of 2011 have been published (*very* bad numbers).

Jens
Old 22 May 2013, 12:24   #858
Antecnisse

First post for me , but i had to say, im quite excited about this product. I cant wait to buy one of these!
And sorry to hear about the bad nummers, hopes it workout anyway .

Old 22 May 2013, 17:54   #859
sez11a

Echoing the last post, I registered here solely for the purpose of keeping up to date on the release of the ACA500. Looking forward to purchasing one!

Old 22 May 2013, 21:32   #860
moijk
License to Bubble

Well, I'll do my part to polish the 2013 numbers when the card is released.