English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 April 2016, 08:35   #801
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Is CD needed? I never tried on a script, but on the shell, if you type a dir name, the computer CDs to it. No need for the CD command. But maybe it would not work on a script. Never tried.
Well CD is still run when you type the dir name in the 2.0+ shell. :-)
Old 15 April 2016, 08:36   #802
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I had the question what country the Amiga originates from, when i was 13 years old i thought it was German because my Amiga was "Made in Germany"
It was designed in Los Gatos, California, then later on when the original Amiga team left, the design responsibility was moved to West Chester, Pennsylvania. Both in the USA, so it is an American computer.

They had factories in many countries, one of the biggest one in Europe was in Braunschweig, Germany. There was another factory in the UK, in Eaglescliffe, Stockton-on-Tees, but I don't believe they made any Amigas.
Old 15 April 2016, 12:56   #803
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
If you are talking about compute power, you are right.. If you are talking about electric power, you couldn't be more wrong
If that was the case, I wouldn't have a 800 W power supply for my PC.
Old 15 April 2016, 13:00   #804
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
Yeah, like patrik said there's no need to enter 'CD' to enter a directory, but I think the CD command is still being used below the hood. If this is the case, exchanging CD to Dir command would end up a kind of crippled system where you can get the directory of the disk but not enter any of the directories.
Think about it this way: CD only manipulates the shell (the current directory in the shell) whereas Dir is totally detached from the internals of the shell. You can exchange Dir for any other directory listing command, but not CD.
Old 15 April 2016, 14:10   #805
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
If that was the case, I wouldn't have a 800 W power supply for my PC.
Yeah but my Win10 tablet can run on 0.5A.. You catch my drift?
Old 15 April 2016, 14:28   #806
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
CD is not needed on 2.0+.
CD is needed in certain cases to eliminate ambiguity. Try creating a drawer with the same name as an AmigaDOS command or any program in the path, then try to move into it from its parent without using the CD command. It's perhaps an edge case, but it's one I've come across myself regularly with 3rd party shell commands that have a drawer named the same as the command itself.
Old 15 April 2016, 14:48   #807
Jope
-

You can use a trailing slash if a similarly named command is before it in the path.
Old 15 April 2016, 16:26   #808
daxb

If I use "IconX" or "RX" as default tool in an project icon it lauches the script. Is it somehow (tooltype?) possible to give an argument to the scipt? I guess with "IconX" not but "RX" from shell can handle arguments: "Usage: rx filename [arguments]"
Old 15 April 2016, 17:21   #809
fatbob_gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
It was designed in Los Gatos, California, then later on when the original Amiga team left, the design responsibility was moved to West Chester, Pennsylvania. Both in the USA, so it is an American computer.

They had factories in many countries, one of the biggest one in Europe was in Braunschweig, Germany. There was another factory in the UK, in Eaglescliffe, Stockton-on-Tees, but I don't believe they made any Amigas.
There was a factory in Scotland (Irvine I think) that built some 600's and 1200's as well - I was on holiday in Scotland and went to a computer shop looking to buy upgrades for my a500 & the shopkeeper told me to sell the 500 because his brother worked at the factory and they were tooling up for a new model was due out that would do everything I wanted (hard drive & accelerator). This was a couple of months before any magazines had any mention of the 1200.
Old 15 April 2016, 18:12   #810
Daedalus

Quote:
You can use a trailing slash if a similarly named command is before it in the path.
Ooh, good point!
Old 16 April 2016, 00:06   #811
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
Yeah but my Win10 tablet can run on 0.5A.. You catch my drift?
That's very nice, but also very far removed from the typical "modern computer". If we want to save the world, those will have to go first.
Old 16 April 2016, 00:19   #812
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
That's very nice, but also very far removed from the typical "modern computer". If we want to save the world, those will have to go first.
oh i dunno, mine idles at about 40W, then again that's how i build them... (and it's not including the two monitors)

actually you'd need quite an extreme gaming rig before you consumed 800W, even at full load.
Old 16 April 2016, 13:06   #813
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
oh i dunno, mine idles at about 40W, then again that's how i build them... (and it's not including the two monitors)

actually you'd need quite an extreme gaming rig before you consumed 800W, even at full load.
True - my PC has a 850W PSU, but 'only' uses ~80W at idle. This is not too bad considering how stuffed it is, and it is a gaming specced rig with a i7-6700K etc. It goes to around 300W when in a game and could probably be pushed to 400W at full load. But you'd need a bit more from the PSU to make sure that any peak currents are still handled nicely.

I just built another small, very cheap, but decent PC based on a Pentium G1820 in a uATX cabinet to use with various projects and it uses just above 30W at idle using a standard 350W ATX PSU and even includes one mechanical HDD besides the SSD in there. This is not far from the power consumption of your common Amiga, but surely it has a lot more power and could reliably emulate the Amiga without major issues.
Old 16 April 2016, 17:29   #814
necronom

Quote:
There was another factory in the UK, in Eaglescliffe, Stockton-on-Tees, but I don't believe they made any Amigas.
It was a calculator factory. My Dad, my Brother and someone at a place I worked at have all been in it (the latter one when it was actually Commodore, making calculators), but I haven't, which is really annoying. I've driven past it a few times.

I don't know if it ever made anything else for CBM, but I'd guess not.
Old 18 April 2016, 12:49   #815
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by necronom View Post
It was a calculator factory. My Dad, my Brother and someone at a place I worked at have all been in it (the latter one when it was actually Commodore, making calculators), but I haven't, which is really annoying. I've driven past it a few times.

I don't know if it ever made anything else for CBM, but I'd guess not.
Ah ok..

Do you know where the Made in UK breadbins were made?
Old 18 April 2016, 14:24   #816
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
True - my PC has a 850W PSU, but 'only' uses ~80W at idle. This is not too bad considering how stuffed it is, and it is a gaming specced rig with a i7-6700K etc. It goes to around 300W when in a game and could probably be pushed to 400W at full load. But you'd need a bit more from the PSU to make sure that any peak currents are still handled nicely.

I just built another small, very cheap, but decent PC based on a Pentium G1820 in a uATX cabinet to use with various projects and it uses just above 30W at idle using a standard 350W ATX PSU and even includes one mechanical HDD besides the SSD in there. This is not far from the power consumption of your common Amiga, but surely it has a lot more power and could reliably emulate the Amiga without major issues.
I'd use jimmijo's computer as main reference on power consumption...

So jimmijo, how much p0wer when you watch home made Fred pr0n while playing Fallout IV??
Old 20 April 2016, 16:06   #817
s2325
Zone Friend

Is it true that "Hoi" is "Hello" in German?
Old 20 April 2016, 16:31   #818
daxb

No. The german word for hello is hallo.
Old 20 April 2016, 16:44   #819
s2325
Zone Friend

It's based on http://joemonster.org/images/vad/img...a77f2b7814.jpg
Old 21 April 2016, 21:28   #820
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Is Amiga chipset strained more when running at higher resolutions, and so more prone to dying ?
60Hz 30Khz Vs 50Hz 15KHz