English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 June 2017, 13:21   #801
trixster
Guru Meditating

Great, thanks my friend. I'll start this evening with stuff like cyberpi and go from there. I seem to recall I have a bunch of stuff in my wbstarup folder like Systempatch which might be causing the issues I'm seeing.

One question I do have though is: when runnig getinfo for the first time I notice that the bottom line of the output says DSI Emulation: 245 times

What is this number referring to? I noticed that it is mentioned on page 27. If I try and run something like blitzquakeppc and then after it fails and puts up the Exception, if I then run getinfo this DSI Emulation number has increased a lot. Is this what is suggesting the PPC is not executing from the sonnet memory?
Old 15 June 2017, 20:34   #802
trixster
Guru Meditating

Am I getting somewhere?

I tried a load of the tools and demos from the warpup_40 archive.

060 cpu usage is 100 with the voxel landscape demo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4926.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	53437  
Old 15 June 2017, 20:53   #803
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

You are getting nowhere seeing the speed. Please work from a clean install without all the fancy stuff like mcp.
Old 15 June 2017, 21:01   #804
trixster
Guru Meditating

Here's muscan and showconfig
Attached Files
File Type: txt showconfig.txt (811 Bytes, 102 views)
File Type: txt Musca.txt (797 Bytes, 93 views)
Old 15 June 2017, 22:55   #805
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
You are getting nowhere seeing the speed. Please work from a clean install without all the fancy stuff like mcp.
Well if we was running all that stuff at once, I could see it being slow. Run Cyberpi 100000 without anything else running that should take what about 1min 30?

Also could you post your MMU-Configuration as is currently?
Old 15 June 2017, 23:19   #806
trixster
Guru Meditating

Cyberpi 100000 took 1min 46s

I'll post up the lastest muscan and mmu-configuration in a tick. I've been trying a different cacheinhbit window in mmu-configuration than what I posted up earlier. The bottom two setcachemode lines are the ones im playing with.

Last edited by trixster; 15 June 2017 at 23:29.
Old 15 June 2017, 23:24   #807
trixster
Guru Meditating

new files
Attached Files
File Type: txt muscan.txt (709 Bytes, 83 views)
File Type: txt MMU-Configuration.txt (2.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 16 June 2017, 00:03   #808
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Cyberpi 100000 took 1min 46s

I'll post up the lastest muscan and mmu-configuration in a tick. I've been trying a different cacheinhbit window in mmu-configuration than what I posted up earlier. The bottom two setcachemode lines are the ones im playing with.
That's spot on. Hedeon gets 1min 30s on his fancy 500MHz w/1MB cache. So your CPU is working as fast as it should anyway.

Your MMU-Configuration like we said before your window is huge, it shouldn't be a problem but just to be sure, change this line:

SetCacheMode from 0x58400000 size 0x0C6FFFFF CacheInhibit
for 64MB to:
SetCacheMode from 0x58400000 size 0x04000000 CacheInhibit
For 64MB+16MB=80MB
SetCacheMode from 0x58400000 size 0x05000000 CacheInhibit
Old 16 June 2017, 00:11   #809
trixster
Guru Meditating

Great, I'll try that tomorrow.

So I have disabled every last thing in s-s, u-s and wbstartup. I've removed don_adan's tweaked dos.library and utilities.library from LIBS:
I've removed PeterK's lastest workbench.library (.127 I think). I've disabled all other mmulibs tweaks like mumove4k, movevbr etc
All stuff like mcp etc is disabled.

I can't think what else to try and disable. I'm going to try going back to the phase 5 LIBS and removing Mmu.library tomorrow to see if the mmulibs suite is causing a problem.

And I can't think why it's still getting these Exception: Instruction Storage issues. It's as if the sonnet and the system can see the installed ram but cannot access it. Small programs like cyberpi work ok but larger programs cannot access the ram. Perhaps only a full WB reinstall is the way to go. Perhaps there's a hardware fault with the board, but the previous owner showed it working with AMP2 and FroggerNG.
Old 16 June 2017, 00:41   #810
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Great, I'll try that tomorrow.

So I have disabled every last thing in s-s, u-s and wbstartup. I've removed don_adan's tweaked dos.library and utilities.library from LIBS:
I've removed PeterK's lastest workbench.library (.127 I think). I've disabled all other mmulibs tweaks like mumove4k, movevbr etc
All stuff like mcp etc is disabled.

I can't think what else to try and disable. I'm going to try going back to the phase 5 LIBS and removing Mmu.library tomorrow to see if the mmulibs suite is causing a problem.

And I can't think why it's still getting these Exception: Instruction Storage issues. It's as if the sonnet and the system can see the installed ram but cannot access it. Small programs like cyberpi work ok but larger programs cannot access the ram. Perhaps only a full WB reinstall is the way to go. Perhaps there's a hardware fault with the board, but the previous owner showed it working with AMP2 and FroggerNG.
PeterK's icon.library works fine for me as well as Workbench 45.132(?). The Phase5 libraries were unstable for me the last time I tried them.

Many pages back I think I posted my Mediator ENVARC: settings, maybe you should check that as well. From memory I think my Voodoomem is 13, VoodooInt=Yes.

Also I run Thor's MuFastROM, which is really like one of the few "required" things for me. Are you using a custom 3.9 ROM, or just 3.1 ROM with 3.9 and BB2?

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 16 June 2017 at 01:27.
Old 16 June 2017, 04:43   #811
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Here's muscan and showconfig
Your showconfig shows you are using more than 64MB on your Sonnet. Or something is wrong there.
Old 16 June 2017, 07:34   #812
trixster
Guru Meditating

Standard 3.1 rom with wb3.9 and bb1 and 2. I'm not using blizkick to kick a modded rom.

I was wondering why showconfig shows 67mb.
Old 16 June 2017, 09:48   #813
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Standard 3.1 rom with wb3.9 and bb1 and 2. I'm not using blizkick to kick a modded rom.

First and foremost, it is necessary to check if your problems are hardware or software. Unfortunately, from your description so far, it's hard to tell.

I would advise using completely FRESH system installation. Due to architecture of AmigaOS, patches can be loaded after system startup, you might not even know. It's enough that you have some meddling library in LIBS:.

So just take a spare hard disk / CF card, put it into your Amiga and install from scratch. Don't install anything else but MMUlib (read the docs!) and powerpc.library as distributed by SonnetAmiga project. Do not install Phase5 68040/68060 libraries at all.

If that gives you an environment where WarpOS apps are working stable, it means that the problems are you facing currently are purely software. If this freshly installed environment has the same issues, it's most likely a hardware problem.

Also, use latest development build of SonnetAmiga, which you can get here:
https://sonnet.uguu.waw.pl/jenkins/job/sonnetamiga/
Old 16 June 2017, 11:08   #814
trixster
Guru Meditating

If I get no joy with this tonight or tomorrow then that's Sunday's task.
Old 16 June 2017, 11:59   #815
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:

It shows that you are using a 64 and an 8 MB DIMM. Also the memory start address is different in show config and pciinfo.

One of them is 128mb aligned, the other 64 mb.
Old 16 June 2017, 12:06   #816
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Sure I can do that.
I started writing something here:

https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetA...nd-MMU-library

Anything important missing?
Old 16 June 2017, 12:44   #817
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
It shows that you are using a 64 and an 8 MB DIMM. Also the memory start address is different in show config and pciinfo.

One of them is 128mb aligned, the other 64 mb.
I took the second smaller simm out the other day after that last pciinfo photo, so the showconfig and muscan posted yesterday is with just the one larger simm in place.

I think I might have confused things by making changes to the system to try and rule things in/out since I posted those original photos. Sorry about that!

The current setup is just one simm in slot 2. The muscan and showconfig posted above are current. Any pciinfo screenshots from a few days ago are out of date.

I'm not very good at trouble shooting I'm afraid so I think a reinstall of os3.9 is the sensible way forward.
Old 16 June 2017, 13:01   #818
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
I started writing something here:

https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetA...nd-MMU-library

Anything important missing?
I'll have more time this weekend to work on this, I made some minor changes. I'll make a page with known working ENV variables as well.
Old 16 June 2017, 13:12   #819
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I'll have more time this weekend to work on this, I made some minor changes. I'll make a page with known working ENV variables as well.
Probably you know, but ENV variables for Sonnet itself are described in README.md, not sure if there's a point repeating that in wiki. But it might be useful to indicate which specific apps are working with which options...
Old 16 June 2017, 13:33   #820
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
Probably you know, but ENV variables for Sonnet itself are described in README.md, not sure if there's a point repeating that in wiki. But it might be useful to indicate which specific apps are working with which options...
I meant ENV variables for Mediator and P96, since there are a lot of them and people may have set some which did not cause a problem before installing Sonnet.