English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 May 2013, 18:23   #61
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I told it to Thierry, please port the game on PC, and he said, no, it's too much hassle to make it compatible with all graphic cards (buggy drivers + each of them work differently).
Again that's a really dodgy, cop-out sounding response, unless you're trying to support every graphics card which has ever existed. You just support a single regulated set of standards and code it to that (which you'd already be doing if you're coding for consoles).
Old 31 May 2013, 21:28   #62
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
it's not my point of view, it's Thierry's one
Old 05 June 2013, 18:24   #63
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That graphics driver stuff was certainly true 10 years ago. Nowadays even indie developers are doing just fine with the minimal resources they tend to have. The tech is absolutely no longer the problem.
Old 05 June 2013, 19:30   #64
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Oh well, let's cross fingers
Old 06 September 2013, 09:22   #65
s2325
Zone Friend

gameplay with commentary [ Show youtube player ] He moves like an ape but intro is not too bad. And he talked to holographic recording... Zooming to enemies in case you are blind or totally dumb.

Last edited by s2325; 06 September 2013 at 09:29.
Old 06 September 2013, 15:59   #66
Cpt. Hindsight

I'm no fan of commercial remakes and this game is ... no exception.
Sorry for being harsh, but since Retrogaming has become "cool" there seems to be a run on classic games by the developers. Either it's a useless remake (play the original, it's still great) or the game is just milking a famous name (Giana Sisters or even much worse Syndicate).
Develop new games and if you do so, give them unique names.
Old 06 September 2013, 20:32   #67
switchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
gameplay with commentary [ Show youtube player ] He moves like an ape but intro is not too bad. And he talked to holographic recording... Zooming to enemies in case you are blind or totally dumb.
I only watched about 10 minutes of game play before I decided that the remake sucks hard.

Awkward 360 degree aiming, unnecessary voice acting, and animation which doesn't even look half as good as the 2D original. Whilst the 2.5D graphics aren't all that bad, it no longer has that unique look that made the original stand out. Even the new Giana Sisters game looks better than this.
Old 07 September 2013, 01:57   #68
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
I only watched about 10 minutes of game play before I decided that the remake sucks hard.

Awkward 360 degree aiming, unnecessary voice acting, and animation which doesn't even look half as good as the 2D original. Whilst the 2.5D graphics aren't all that bad, it no longer has that unique look that made the original stand out. Even the new Giana Sisters game looks better than this.
I always fear that in creating remakes the developers destroy the reputation of original games.
Old 07 September 2013, 03:33   #69
rsn8887

The animations of the hero remind me of Nathan Drake, too. There's something robotic and weird about character animations in modern games. It's like you can feel these little pauses inbetween different actions, as if the code switches between different animation scripts or something. And you sometimes just slide along the floor while the wrong animation is still playing, e.g. the animation is out-of-sync with the character's motion in space.

Also the animations are overly linear and don't seem to show enough inertia. I used to think it is just Unreal Engine 3 (which I think really blows, it is slow, sluggish and buggy), but it is in a lot of games nowadays.

Maybe they teach it in game design classes or something. Meh.

Last edited by rsn8887; 07 September 2013 at 18:26.
Old 07 September 2013, 07:03   #70
Pyromania

When's the PS3 version coming out?
Old 07 September 2013, 07:42   #71
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
I think you posted the wrong link s2325. This is a review for the Superfrog remake (with all that fruit collecting you have to do ).

Well, from what I have seen, I have to agree with the reviewers. There aren't really major flaws but there is nothing that makes the game look interesting.

I still think that there too many details (foliage especially) on screen (and bloom, depth of field etc...)

Out of the graphic department, I don't see why this game was made recently.
It could probably have been produced 10 years ago (the graphics would have been less "photo-realistic" but that's all). There is nothing that really shows some "production value" (no awesome music/SFX, dynamic gameplay or whatever, clever design).

If I was gifted the game, I think I would at least try to play up to level 2 (city) but if by that time it does not seem more attractive than it is in the video I would give up.
I will probably not spend money to give it a try (not even 50 cents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
I used to think it is just Unreal Engine
OT, but as a fan of several games produced with the UE2 and its derivatives (UT2004 and Tribes: Vengeance in particular) I demande that you do not defame those by stating "UE3" rather than using the general "UE" (ofc, is is obvious you are speaking of UE3, but I had to protest)
Old 07 September 2013, 10:55   #72
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
I think you posted the wrong link s2325. This is a review for the Superfrog remake (with all that fruit collecting you have to do ).
What? I see some angry guy playing Flashback.
Old 07 September 2013, 12:46   #73
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Check 24:39 onwards and you will understand my joke
Old 08 September 2013, 18:41   #74
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Check 24:39 onwards and you will understand my joke
Ah Ok, I was bored long before the 25th minute, so I didn't see that before. (Still an insider, though )
Old 08 September 2013, 19:17   #75
Sandro
Banned

Flashback was an original Amiga game, in HOL in the part of original amiga game says unknown
here is the video that proves the original version was done for the Amiga

http://www.3djuegos.com/16051f26576/...ake-of-classic

skip to 1:08 min to see what the guy says...
they done the animations using a video camera and an old TV
Old 08 September 2013, 19:41   #76
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Thanks for the link to the video, it seems quite interesting.

I have only watched the relevant part right now, but there seems to be different trivia items that we could put in the HOL notes.

Regarding the status of the entry, I guess it was forgotten to set it to Amiga original (old entry).

Besides the video, IIRC the Amiga version was the only one to have the options for zooms during battles and it was removed from other versions because it received bad feedback after the Amiga release.

But maybe there is a further reason why it is set to unknown and I'll wait a bit to see if there is an HOL member who could give a reason.

Also, regarding the video, Thierry Levastre says:
"puisque c'était sur Amiga qu'on travaillait à cette époque."

which means : "because at the time we were working on Amiga"

It could mean that they were working on the Amiga version first.
But it can also mean that they were using the Amiga as a production tool (for graphics).
Old 08 September 2013, 23:18   #77
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the video, it seems quite interesting.

I have only watched the relevant part right now, but there seems to be different trivia items that we could put in the HOL notes.

Regarding the status of the entry, I guess it was forgotten to set it to Amiga original (old entry).

Besides the video, IIRC the Amiga version was the only one to have the options for zooms during battles and it was removed from other versions because it received bad feedback after the Amiga release.

But maybe there is a further reason why it is set to unknown and I'll wait a bit to see if there is an HOL member who could give a reason.

Also, regarding the video, Thierry Levastre says:
"puisque c'était sur Amiga qu'on travaillait à cette époque."

which means : "because at the time we were working on Amiga"

It could mean that they were working on the Amiga version first.
But it can also mean that they were using the Amiga as a production tool (for graphics).
The PC version also it have zoom
and
I suspect the PC version could be the original due some reasons:
it have zoom and contains full set of animations and says 1992 as the amiga

the megadrive version says 1993, and the enhanced MAC version says 1992-1994, all the other versions is obvious were ports
Old 08 September 2013, 23:30   #78
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
The PC version also it have zoom
and
I suspect the PC version could be the original due some reasons:
it have zoom and contains full set of animations and says 1992 as the amiga

the megadrive version says 1993, and the enhanced MAC version says 1992-1994, all the other versions is obvious were ports
I'm pretty sure Flashback is Amiga first, the extra animations were intended for Amiga as well but would have put it on too many disks.
Old 08 September 2013, 23:57   #79
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I'm pretty sure Flashback is Amiga first, the extra animations were intended for Amiga as well but would have put it on too many disks.
yes it could be, something like this perhaps happened with game Lion King they removed 5 or 6 levels to make the game keep it less disks,I can't find another explanation
Old 09 September 2013, 07:32   #80
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Interesting. I did not remember the DOS version having the Zoom. Was it both the floppy version and the CD version? I mostly played the latter and maybe the zoom was not in there (otherwise it means my memory is getting worse )

Anyway, I guess that since dlfrsilver knows Thierry Levastre he could ask him if the Amiga version was the first one developed and/or released or if several versions were developed at the same time.