English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 October 2001, 00:31   #61
Amiga1992

Well, I can't wait to play stuff on my MSX. And my eBay finger got itchy so I bought myself a Gradius 2 cartridge, CIB!

For twice the price you paid for your MSX :P Sometimes you got to pay for the privileges!

I see Shatterhand being jealous
Old 11 October 2001, 00:48   #62
RetroMan

Man, I would love to play Nemesis (Gradius) but since I got no MegaRom (yet), I´ll have to stick to the CPC Version Anyway, a little hint to you ..... if you want to convert .ROM to .WAV yourself (and you will have to, since there aren´t much .WAV games on the net) ..... allways remember : a 32KB cartridge consists of 2 bin files (so you also have 2 .WAV files) and you have to merge these with WAVGLUE ..... ALLWAYS set the "-p" option to get a pause between the two wav files in the final one, and be sure to type into your MSX the following : BLOAD"CAS:",R:BLOAD"CAS:",R to have both parts loaded after another ..... else you´re not able to play the game ....

(as you might guess anyway, a 16KB cartridge has ONE .bin file and a 64KB has 4 of them )
Old 11 October 2001, 18:27   #63
Amiga1992

Well, I have that cart now so no need to loadrom it BUt thansk for teh tip. I will try the cable next week , i found no time for making it this week ;(

Once Shatterhand sends me the megarom and I find a 5 1/4 drive for my PC, Im in for a TREAT
Old 11 October 2001, 18:52   #64
RetroMan

Hehe and I´m still playing CASTLE, you played it allready @Akira ? Btw. I wonder if Shatterhand got another MegaRom Cart for sale ?
Old 11 October 2001, 20:52   #65
Amiga1992

I think he has the sole one and it's mine

Have yu got a reply from that other guy? If not ask Shatterhand t o contact him, so you can get a megaram.

Perhaps you are better getting an euro replacement!
Old 11 October 2001, 23:17   #66
Amiga1992

Retroman!!!!!

HelP!

DIN 8 pins (female)

7 6 1 GND 5 CMTIN I
3 8 1 2 GND 6 REM + O
5 4 3 GND 7 REM - O
2 4 CMTOUT O 8 GND

What the hell should I connect? CMTIN and GND are the pins I need?
Old 12 October 2001, 00:30   #67
RetroMan

Yup, pin 5 and 2 (CMTIN and GND) for transfer from PC (or MD or CD) to MSX
Old 12 October 2001, 01:46   #68
Amiga1992

I have bought the needed cables but I didnt find an 8 pin DIN, the good electronics shop was closed.

anyway i will wire the cables directly to test this out im dloading the needed tools and some lame wav games
Old 12 October 2001, 05:36   #69
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Great MSX Retroman, as you said, it's in a fantastic condition...
About strategy games.. well, there's Bokosuka Wars, a classic that I personally hate, Laser Squad (I love this one, and I think the MSX version has the best gameplay of all versions) and Gengis Khan for MSX 1.. there's some strategies games for MSX 2, but I don't know most of them. Koei made a few games for it, there's also "Great Strategy" (the title is in japanese, that's how the game was known), Herzog (The prequel of the Mega-Drive game "Herzog Zwei", a great combination of strategy and shoot em up) , Strategic Mars (Strategy in the space, with 3D sections like Wing Commander and stuff), Campaign (I never played it, I even believe it has some connection with the Amiga game, as it has tanks), Special Operations, Battle for Midway, ... humm... Flight Deck also has some strategy elements on it, and I recommend it a lot.

And about Castle, well.. 22 rooms may semm like 22% of the game, but believe me, you are probably only made 10% of the game.. you'll go back to those 22 rooms still a few more times
I told you it's a fantastic game, you'll be playing it for ages until you finish it..

In the other side, Green Beret for MSX sucks pretty much. It's the worse konami game for MSX, and I believe the guys who made it were fired after this, because it's too much below the Konami average.

I also don't think you have to "glue" both .wav files, but whatever, if it's not broken, why fix it?

@Akira
great game... and it's in the original case... and the original manual.... and you now have a SCC chip.....and I don't.... duuh..
Nemesis 2 is generally regarded better than Nemesis 3, although I disagree..

To be honest, I don't have one single MSX original game, I have only 2 cartridges games (Frogger and Decatlhon), and both are pirates anyway.....

I still didn't see the shiping price, I am sorry... I've been sick those days, most of time is being spent at bed or in front of the computer. At least I reviewed a C64 shmup for your site, so you will have the first C64 review for shmups.com

Oh yeah, about the Megaram cart..
I have 2, one is going to Akira, the other one is for my personal use. BUT.. even before I readed that, I was thinking about selling my other megaram cart too, as I also have the Memory Mapper. I'll need to see if all games I have (or at least my favourites ones) work with Loadrom. If they do, I'll sell my Megaram. Then I tell you about it..
Old 12 October 2001, 08:46   #70
RetroMan

@Shatterhand

kewl, can´t wait till you tested

btw. to "glue" the wav files means make one out of two else you have to load in both parts manually on the PC, so why not make it load in one instance ? Oh and btw. after getting the red key at CASTLE in went up and now nearly completed roundabout 60 rooms think I´ll complete it at the weekend but I only got 4 lives left, ah well, maybe I´ll get some extra lifes soon
Old 12 October 2001, 18:18   #71
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

There are 2 red keys in the game.. I remember when I 1st got the red key, I said "What the fuck is that???"

Are you playing The Castle or Castle EX? Considering how fast you're progessing, I believe you're playing the castle..

BTW, how much memory do your MSX2 has ? If you have 256 mapped Kbs, you can use loadrom to play the bigger roms...

You can also play disks games if you have just 64 Kbs, like Nyancle Racing, Famicle Parodic 2, Quinpl, and.... ALESTE 2!! (yeaaah )

oh yeah, and Akira also has something to say, but I'll leave to him
Old 12 October 2001, 18:39   #72
RetroMan

Sadly I didn´t get the MSX2 yet perhaps he´s just ignoring the phone or on holliday, who knows ..... and about the disk games ??? my HitBit got 64K, how the fuck am I able to play ALESTE 2 ????????????

oh ..... just missed it .... yes, I´m playing the CASTLE not CASTLE EX yet

Hmmmm, @Akira ? Here I am .......
Old 12 October 2001, 18:45   #73
Amiga1992

Big grin MSX1 - PC 0

I said 15 minutes you bugger

YEsterday I hooked up the PC to teh MSX. Got all teh tools, made two waves out of 16KB roms.. all good, lets load Boulder Dash... it kept giving me an I/O error... I rechecked teh cables... (btw i didnt find an 8pin din so i hooked tehcables traight into the ipns :P)

After a while it worked... loaded bloulderdash... disconencted the cable and conencted my pcs audio to teh amp, teh MSX's audio to the PC, ready to play some abbo boulderdahs..

No sound in one channel.. shitr, i must have conencted teh cable wrong..

I put my headphones on, play an MP3... dead chanel!

THE MSX KILLED MY SOUNDCARD!

Now WTF happened man! How can the soundcard get killed if it was outputting signals, not receiving them!?!?!?!?! Does your laptop works or did you kill the card too? :P

Man you betetr start paying for my soundcard, you didnt write a disclaimer in yoru posts, so I regard you responsible for my acts!

I am happy, I could play Boulderdash on the MSX. Screw these fucking PCs!

I should have loaded Mappy man
Old 12 October 2001, 18:53   #74
RetroMan

Re: MSX1 - PC 0

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I said 15 minutes you bugger
I really don´t care
Quote:
YEsterday I hooked up the PC to teh MSX. Got all teh tools, made two waves out of 16KB roms.. all good, lets load Boulder Dash... it kept giving me an I/O error... I rechecked teh cables... (btw i didnt find an 8pin din so i hooked tehcables traight into the ipns :P)

After a while it worked... loaded bloulderdash... disconencted the cable and conencted my pcs audio to teh amp, teh MSX's audio to the PC, ready to play some abbo boulderdahs..
Boulder Dash rocks
Quote:
No sound in one channel.. shitr, i must have conencted teh cable wrong..

I put my headphones on, play an MP3... dead chanel!

THE MSX KILLED MY SOUNDCARD!
Only thing I could imagine is, that you have somehow put GND and CMTIN together ...... not good
Quote:
Now WTF happened man! How can the soundcard get killed if it was outputting signals, not receiving them!?!?!?!?! Does your laptop works or did you kill the card too? :P
Laptop is fine
Quote:
Man you betetr start paying for my soundcard, you didnt write a disclaimer in yoru posts, so I regard you responsible for my acts!
No way, you missed the hidden message in my post ..... Tataaaa
Quote:
I am happy, I could play Boulderdash on the MSX. Screw these fucking PCs!
Well, happyness is way more worth than a f**king PC Soundcard, throw it away
Quote:
I should have loaded Mappy man
Uhhh, must check it out ......
Old 12 October 2001, 19:10   #75
Amiga1992

I really dont thing gnd and cmtin got together. i would have screwed up teh msx to, dot you think? unless, when i took off teh cables, i mixed them up. Whatever, teh soundcard is in the trashcan and my MSX is happy that it has been loaded with a game after all those years of inactivity

Thanks for the tip, I love it! I'll be using this method until my lazyarse gets a 5 1/4 drive
Old 12 October 2001, 20:32   #76
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

@ Retroman
sorry, I got a little confused, I thought you had got that MSX 2

Aleste 2 runs with 64 Kbs MSXs models. It was originally made as a 3 Disks game, so it's supposed to run with standard MSXs 2..

Quote:
my MSX is happy that it has been loaded with a game after all those years of inactivity
I nearly dropped a tear reading this line
Old 12 October 2001, 20:58   #77
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm . I think my last post wasn't clear enough

I meant, Aleste 2 isn't a Cartridge (rom) game, it's a 3 Disks game, so you don't need to load it all together in the computer memory like you do with a cartridge. The game loads the intro, asks for changing disks, load stage 1, you play, then loads stage 2, and so on.

And just because I am in mood, here goes a pic of Aleste 2 cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aleste2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	980  
Old 12 October 2001, 21:06   #78
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Erm
I forgot again.. You also need a 720 Kb drive to play Aleste 2.

Or find the hacked version to run in 360 Kb drives (It comes in 6 disks)

of course, all this is only needed if you have a MSX 2 system, if you have just a MSX 1, just forget about it
Old 12 October 2001, 22:57   #79
RetroMan

Why forget ??? You said I could play it on a standart msx1 or not ?
So all I have to do is, extract the disks and make wav files, then put the intro on the wav first, then level 1 and so on then I should be able to load level by level ..... ah well, I should really get a disk drive, but these are hard to find
Old 13 October 2001, 01:43   #80
Amiga1992

Nope, Aleste 2 is MSX2 only. Yo ucant run it on a feeble MSX1

And since its a disk game you wont be able to load parts and make it like a rom, the routines in it are prepared for disk. i mean you would have op replace its diskloader for someting else!

Talk about Galahad0like crackinG!