English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 December 2013, 12:11   #61
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Blaumaus
Old 12 December 2013, 23:09   #62
Graham Humphrey

I think I really want to try and get away from gimmicky/spoofy names. Something like Suede is interesting. Just a single name and one that's fairly snappy would be ideal, bearing in mind it would probably form part of the game's final title. For example like Codemasters' games... Dizzy, CJ The Elephant and Seymour the... whatever the heck it was...

So something along those lines. It's surprisingly difficult! Also he may well end up in more games so he's kinda stuck with what he's given.
Old 13 December 2013, 19:01   #63
lifeschool
Local Moderator

How about Douglas Swede in Topless Capers,

or is that on download already?
Old 13 December 2013, 23:20   #64
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quentin
Old 13 December 2013, 23:35   #65
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quentin Marmelade
Old 14 December 2013, 12:09   #66
vagrant

I have to ask what sort of creature is this guy?
Is he a common animal.. like a mouse or aardvark?
Or is he an alien?
Or a stuffed toy possessed with the soul of jim morrison?
I think it would help the naming process
Old 14 December 2013, 19:26   #67
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I think he is just an adventurer, humanoid with mouse head and blue skin. No one knows if he is extra terrestrial, he is just a dizzy type kind of person, where nobody knows why he is an egg
Old 14 December 2013, 19:49   #68
Graham Humphrey

Or: a mouse with shades and a backpack
Old 19 December 2013, 02:04   #69
amigapd

If you want to avoid gimmicky/spoofy names what about

Maxwell or Montgomery

They seem to work for titles

Maxwell's Magical Adventure
Maxwell goes to ....
Maxwell and the Lost ....
Maxwell in a Panic
Maxwell the Prince of ......
Maxwell and the Quest for....

Montgomery kind of works but might be better to shortern to

Monty's Magicland
Monty's Treasure
Monty's Heroes
Monty's Ulitmate Adventure

Bit hard to think of a name without a bit more of an understanding of the back story. What is the rest of the game title likely to be?

Looking forward to seeing the finished game as I always enjoyed the Dizzy style of games.
Old 19 December 2013, 09:01   #70
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for the suggestions! Totally appreciate not knowing the story makes it more tricky, we're keeping it under wraps for now and it's not 100% finalised although we've got the basics there.

I do quite like Maxwell. I think I will bear that in mind, thanks!

Things are still steadily progressing. Enemies are now in place on the map. Still a few things I want to add but we're getting there. A few new graphics are in place. No release date for the demo yet, I wouldn't want to commit to anything but it will definitely happen, we're too far down the road for it not to happen now.
Old 19 December 2013, 09:18   #71
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

+1 for Maxwell. Monty was previously used for that famous underground animal.
Old 20 December 2013, 14:28   #72
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Today: 29 playable screens in the raster 7 x 6, 6 NPCs to talk / trade with, another 2 (at least) to come. Short funny story behind the demolevel and characters that sometimes do not make sense, in the best traditions of dizzy platformers
Old 30 December 2013, 14:37   #73
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Please, point us to the source where we could find 3-channel tracker mod for testing with our game.
Old 30 December 2013, 23:48   #74
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Presumably 1 channel for sound effects?

Can you not turn a music channel off to play a sound effect and then turn it back on again when it's finished? It's what I always do. If you pick the right channel it's not easy to notice.
Old 31 December 2013, 10:49   #75
Phantom
Adventurer

I really liked Dizzys on my Amiga back then, it was great fun, as they used a combination of platforming with adventure elements (picking up objects, talking to characters etc).

I'm not afraid about playability issues, looking back at Downfall I expect a great rate on this one too.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:20   #76
Graham Humphrey

Thanks Phantom

The puzzles and characters have all been implemented now. We only had a few originally but Predseda and I have managed to 'flesh out' the level with more people to interact with so there's now a purpose to visiting pretty much every part of the map. The map still needs a bit of tweaking as do the placements of some of the enemies as it's a bit frustrating as it is. Also a few bits to 'tidy up' but nothing that hinders the gameplay as such so that's not so bad.

I hope to have this demo level out in the New Year sometime - it's taken a bit longer than expected to get to this point but it's all going pretty well now The full game will take a lot longer as we're currently planning to include four different levels but I would love to get it finished in 2014. I hope so anyway.

Regarding music... for now I'm going for a four-channel music and ditching the SFX, at least for the demo. Will see how that goes.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:25   #77
Phantom
Adventurer

You can easily squeeze a 4-channel module into 3-channels (space permitting), thus you can still have that one channel free for sound effects (for later).

Hope that you won't make the same mistakes as Codemasters did in the past ruining the gameplay. There were cases in some games (thanks God only just a few) were if you didn't pick the correct item up (or didn't have enough room for it) you got stuck at the end and had to replay the entire level again.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:39   #78
Graham Humphrey

Nah don't worry, anything where you can get totally stuck won't be included - I hate that sort of thing so there will always be a way out of a situation even if you have trouble working it out We'll try and make it fair yet challenging which is always the hardest bit to get right so I'm determined to playtest and tweak until everything is just right.
Old 29 May 2014, 14:06   #79
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Would there be anyone interested in helping Graham drawing additional game graphics? I am unavailable until September for any Amiga related work
Old 29 May 2014, 16:04   #80
Graham Humphrey

Yes folks, we're a bit stuck on the graphics front.

Most of the demo is done. The level map, puzzles, all that stuff is at least 95% complete, with mostly just a few tweaks needed here and there. We really need new background/tile graphics, though, so we've got some nice scenery and colourful backdrops. On top of that, we will need some title/intro screens, and a game over and 'level complete' screen.

Predseda has done some great work with the main character, other characters, enemies and objects, as well as having significant input into the actual level and puzzle design itself. So I am hoping he would also be willing to help with additional suggestions/input should it be needed.

It would then be a matter for me to give the map a bit of a makeover with the new tiles, and then insert the fancy presentation stuff. Ideally we wanted this done a few months ago but for various reasons that hasn't really happened.

When the demo is finished, we still have the full game to write but we'll deal with that at a later time.

So if anyone out there is wanting to get involved with graphics for an Amiga game project and is willing to commit the time, patience and enthusiasm required then please get in touch - but we really do need someone serious about seeing this through, thank you

EDIT: Woo! 10,000 posts!