English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 July 2009, 21:02   #61
quantum112

I used to play Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga like mad, I must've logged hundreds of hours on it both solo and against others... I thought it was one of the best Amiga games ever made and... well damn but I still do! I was shocked when I saw the reputation SF2 had in this modern, internet-laden world Sorry if I don't share y'all opinions, I saw SF2 gameplay on other systems but for me the Amiga version is the real and one and only SF2 and for me will always be the best Street Fighter game ever, rose-tinted glasses and all! Objectively, nostalgia is a really bad thing for judgement but once you get used to something and have the same opinion for 13 years, nothing changes it.
Old 31 July 2009, 21:57   #62
hitchhikr

Quote:
Whaa?

I've never played IK+ until a couple months ago... but I love it. Like "Karate Champ" on steroids (and yes I did look up the lineage and understand where IK came from but... the Yanks like me will understand the analogy)

Plus, what other game can you press a button and have everyone's pants fall down?
Ik+ is just a little average and repetitive game (with ripped samples from Bruce Lee's movies like "Enter the Dragon") which can't provide more than 30 seconds of lame amusement, it doesn't even run at full framerate (the game is most probably just another straight Atari ST port) and the cd32 version was even more of a scam.
Old 31 July 2009, 23:05   #63
Pyromania

International Ruby Challenge
Old 05 June 2012, 19:32   #64
trydowave

I cant think of any. All the games I thought we're crap then I think are crap now. I don't judge the games at all to the games we have now.
The only thing i've noticed is how the game design or lack of it seems more apparent. For instance. Most Amiga games are as hard as nails and have no contiunes. Take Wolfchild for instance. The game is massively unfair compared to the megadrive version and has less levels. But I still think its a joy to play... until i get to level 2. Most Amiga games cant compete with the console games of the time on playability. Those games we're designed by teams of professionals rather than a few guys in a basement. They didnt really stand a chance. The very very best games were ported to consoles and tweaked (not all of them we're improved - looking at you beast 2). Also, the very bestAmiga platform or beatem up cant compete with even the most mediocore snes games in terms of design and playability. But.. I still prefer the amiga (cant explain why) And of course.. the snes didnt have Turrican 2. Still as great as its ever been. Opps... bit off topic there
Old 05 June 2012, 20:10   #65
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

One springs to mind for me and that's Sly Spy Secret Agent. For some reason the game gave off a really good arcade vibe back then...I played it a few weeks back and the dream was shattered. The music still rocks though!
Old 05 June 2012, 20:57   #66
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Did the reverse thread ever exist I wonder? Games you used to think sucked but you like today?
Old 05 June 2012, 21:58   #67
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Games you used to think sucked but you like today?
Lol.
I like simple games. Dyna Blaster (Bomberman) is great, it was and it is, so going off topic.
Old 06 June 2012, 19:54   #68
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Here's a shocker: ROLLING THUNDER!

You'd think THAT game if any could never have been someone's favorite, but it was. Back when I was a kid I thought it was really cool, and to me it wasn't the least slow or stuttery. Today I realize it's probably the worst programming job ever. It's amazing that Tiertex who did the port are still in business.

100% ACK
Old 07 June 2012, 17:02   #69
Old Fool
Zone Friend

I remeber how a played a lot Hard Drivin II with my A500 when I was a kid. It had jerky scrolling and ugly graphics but still I liked it.

Now I tried it with my accelerated A1200 with WHDLoad. It was much smoother than vanilla A500. I played it about 2 mins and decided not to play it anymore.

Well, some games like Superfrog are still highly playable and addictive
Old 07 June 2012, 17:14   #70
seuden
uber cool demi god

England Championship Special

Played it to death with my ol' man! Fuckin' loved it at the time!
Old 07 June 2012, 17:49   #71
roy bates

hmmm............

rise of the robots,it was crap then and its crap now.
microcosm,not much better than above.
myst,well not much there but nice pictures.

these stick out for me,mainly because there just utter rubbish and should of been much better.

there are others,but these.....

i know its about games you liked then but these should be in a hall of fame somewhere that explain how bad they can be and be commercial.

Last edited by roy bates; 07 June 2012 at 17:56.
Old 24 June 2012, 17:07   #72
john1979

My Amiga years were my early teens playing on my brothers A500. I was used to a C64 so any game looked and sounded like another world of awesome.

I remember spending hours with my friends playing Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters thinking that gaming couldn't get any better. I tried to pick it up again recently and couldn't believe just how awful a game it is.
Old 08 July 2012, 06:55   #73
ennio

I used to think TechnoCop was pretty awesome. When I tried it again after 20+ years, it occurred to me that the only possible reason for me liking it must have been the horrific violence.
Old 08 July 2012, 22:00   #74
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Are only the games you loved arcade conversions. It's just that the title suggests any games on Amiga and not just conversions?

Tried hard to think of games i think are a bit rubbish these days that i loved but can't. i guess games i enjoyed were because they were fun and a fun game remains that

IK+ i used to love but then i discovered blocking appears to be a bit of a waste of time. Still nobody has ever pointed out how you can successfully pull off blocking- why is it even in the game ?

Last edited by Adropac2; 08 July 2012 at 22:10.
Old 08 July 2012, 22:38   #75
Adropac2
Zone Friend

i think some people miss the point when they attempt older games they haven't played in years. It's likely to be a horrible experience because much of what you used to know so well in the form of control and gameplay isn't as well understood and can be either frustrating or boring as a result. It often takes a while to get back where you were with a game and until then this question might not be accurately answered. And of course certain games like 3d ones are technically very dated but will still be the same games. I think there will be some people that don't fully grasp what it is to accurately answer stuff like this- obviously it's not important but what people are maybe actually saying is they don't like something based on how they are approaching asking that

It hardly matters if people don't like these games any more but maybe they would in fact if they approached how they play them again. Some games are worth leaving behind i find and some still play very well

Last edited by Adropac2; 08 July 2012 at 22:45.
Old 08 July 2012, 23:21   #76
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
i think some people miss the point when they attempt older games they haven't played in years. It's likely to be a horrible experience because much of what you used to know so well in the form of control and gameplay isn't as well understood and can be either frustrating or boring as a result.

It hardly matters if people don't like these games any more but maybe they would in fact if they approached how they play them again. Some games are worth leaving behind i find and some still play very well
I agree. There are many games I would love to play, but the effort involved now is too much. Many computer related tasks involve a lot of mucking around. And after all that, sometimes you just don't work it out. Or it turns out, it wasn't worth it for whatever reason - maybe whatever it is just doesn't work, or isn't how your rose-coloured memories portrayed it.

But I think we could do something about this. I'm not saying these are the best ideas, but they're intended to get across the notion that people could ve eased into playing old games. YouTube videos of the gameplay could be made with narration, which describe what someone who knows how to play does what they do. "Press this key to do this action, move this way because this game is a little unique in that way." UAE could be tweaked with a layer that hooks into events like keypresses and mouse movements and so forth, that gives popup hints. Practical, I don't know?
Old 09 July 2012, 02:34   #77
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Having an open mind helps but it's not always in place and we do tend to make our own mind up. I'm heavily into the game Bayonetta but i quite definitely hated it on the basis it just didn't seem to do anything of any worth- on top of what i already considered the stupidest theme i'd seen in a while. I thought the whole thing stank but it turned out i was being exceptionally ignorant by not even trying to accept it. A truly exceptional game that refuses to let go when you discover it's masterful combat sandbox

If people knew what they were missing then that would make for a lot of sad people and so it's lucky they don't. Amiga does have a number of games still very much worth taking the extra time it might need to accept how they play now. Mind you there are games that wont have aged any on Amiga, but some games of a certain look just don't cut it for some gamers. Fair enough but it's in anyone's interest to find classic games regarded as the best of the time- regardless how they may look
Old 12 July 2012, 20:52   #78
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennio View Post
I used to think TechnoCop was pretty awesome..... it occurred to me that the only possible reason for me liking it must have been the horrific violence.
And your point is????

I have to admit, I enjoyed having Outrun, knowing at the time it was pretty bad, because it was Outrun.. ;-)
But having tried it again, it was even worse than I remembered...

One of the things I'm having issues with is the RPGs I loved...
It's not that the games are less interesting, but I used to spend a LOT OF TIME when I played them.
I took notes and drew maps, etc...

Now, I pull up Pools of Radiance and play for a few minutes, and something comes up and distracts me...
It's harder to get back into those games since I don't have hours and hours like I used to...

desiv
Old 12 July 2012, 21:02   #79
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
I remeber how a played a lot Hard Drivin II with my A500 when I was a kid. It had jerky scrolling and ugly graphics but still I liked it.

Now I tried it with my accelerated A1200 with WHDLoad. It was much smoother than vanilla A500. I played it about 2 mins and decided not to play it anymore.

Well, some games like Superfrog are still highly playable and addictive
Second this. I played Hard Drivin coin-op and was robbed my pocket change many times . Then I got Hard Drivin for Amiga and it really wasn't as good as the coin-op but still I played it. Then came Hard Drivin' II and some of the bugs in the first one were fixed but you could still take off with the car ! I used to make many tracks for Hard Drivin' II but now when I try it it just sucks balls
Old 12 July 2012, 21:16   #80
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I've just replayed BattleTech: Crescent Hawk's Inception.

I used to think it was pretty nifty with its strategic mecha fights and lots of options to spend your money on gear. Now I realised that it makes hardly any difference if go directly from the beginning to the (horrible) final puzzle. It's kinda sad. They could have made a decent science fiction RPG/strategy game with a bit more effort.