English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 February 2023, 12:13   #61
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It was like Christmas morning, every day.
Old 10 February 2023, 13:18   #62
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah that's completely gone now.
Well, a bit is left with the 'building shaders' at the start of most games
Old 10 February 2023, 20:41   #63
Megalomaniac

The Settlers works really well on a 1 Meg A500, with lovely luxury extras on bigger Amigas. Aside from being a great game, it's probably one of the finest accomplishments in terms of making great use of multiple levels of Amiga hardware.

I started with cassettes too, so even the slowest-loading Amiga games felt fast to me initially, and Monkey Island 2 wasn't the only multi-disk adventure I played from one drive. Loading between or during levels was a bit more of an irritation though, with most great 8-bit games you loaded it once and that was that.
Old 11 February 2023, 11:44   #64
skan
Dream Merchant

So I picked the Bitmap Universe book up again to have a look and to reply to the OP the simple answer is: they've never been seriously intended to release an Amiga version really.

It was a PC project right from the start back in 1990 or so (yeah, that took 5 years in the making) and they had one coder worling on the Amiga version at one point but they stopped him because he was "catching up too quickly" on the PC version and they moved him on the PC branch.

According to the book the Amiga version was aimed at 600 and 1200, but not 500 (?), the playable demo had close to no AI implemented, but it was mostly working.
What a waste.
Old 13 February 2023, 05:13   #65
Mr_Horizon

It was really fun reading all your responses, there was way more tech & history discussion that I had hoped for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
So I picked the Bitmap Universe book up again to have a look and to reply to the OP the simple answer is: they've never been seriously intended to release an Amiga version really.
It was a PC project right from the start back in 1990 (...) and they had one coder working on the Amiga version at one point but they stopped him (...) and moved him on the PC branch.

According to the book the Amiga version was aimed at 600 and 1200, but not 500 (?), the playable demo had close to no AI implemented, but it was mostly working.
Thank you very much for looking it up! So they considered the system a lost case and didn't dedicate resources to finish the Amiga version. There was a lot of back and forth in this thread, but the Bitmap Universe book seems to say that computing power was not the issue.

Quote:
What a waste.
I agree, it's a shame! Maybe I'll still play one of the ports one day.
Old 13 February 2023, 07:54   #66
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Horizon View Post
Thank you very much for looking it up! So they considered the system a lost case and didn't dedicate resources to finish the Amiga version. There was a lot of back and forth in this thread, but the Bitmap Universe book seems to say that computing power was not the issue.
Not computing power per se, but amount of chip ram as far as I can get it. I suppose that would have been the first Birmap Bros game that would have looked and played better on PC anyway...

Quote:
I agree, it's a shame! Maybe I'll still play one of the ports one day.
Well, I think the Playstation version with mouse support played on a CRT is the closest you can get to the original Amiga feeling!
Old 13 February 2023, 09:59   #67
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
but the Bitmap Universe book seems to say that computing power was not the issue.
for the state of the game that it was in at the time (with zero AI, as mentioned), that doesn't say anything about the finished project.
Old 13 February 2023, 10:25   #68
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
What's everybody talking about, it runs fine on my A4000?

Well, that's nice. Would be cool to see it in action, with the config it runs on.
Old 13 February 2023, 10:53   #69
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Well, that's nice. Would be cool to see it in action, with the config it runs on.
This, but also trying to run the Mac version in Shapeshifter would be an interesting experiment.
Old 13 February 2023, 11:08   #70
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
This, but also trying to run the Mac version in Shapeshifter would be an interesting experiment.
Definitely. And it is more close to the original feel. I just need a playable version to give it a go...
Old 13 February 2023, 11:34   #71
Daedalus

No doubt the Mac version would run fine. I played Settlers 2, Sim City 2000 and others on Mac OS on my Amiga back in the day. Must give Z a go next time I find myself with nothing to do...
Old 13 February 2023, 13:09   #72
sokolovic

I can't fond the recquirements of the Mac version. It would probably give us a clue of the recquirements for an hypothetical Amiga native one.
Old 13 February 2023, 15:21   #73
Daedalus

Well, I did quote the requirements as printed on the box, earlier in the thread. Minimum spec is a Performa or Quadra (the lowest spec of which is a 68030), 8MB, System 7.0 and a CD-ROM drive. It may well have run on a lesser CPU, but given 68030 Macs were commonplace at the time it probably made sense to quote the Performa/Quadra as a baseline.
Old 13 February 2023, 16:04   #74
sokolovic

Thanks. I'm getting old (especially because I've answered to your post before
Old 13 February 2023, 16:13   #75
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I can't fond the recquirements of the Mac version. It would probably give us a clue of the recquirements for an hypothetical Amiga native one.
The only evidence of a Mac version existing is a few lines on MobyGames, I haven't seen anything on the usual Macintosh websites or archive.org. Not even a redump.

This seems to reference two releases.

At 1998 Apple were well into PPC G3 @ 233MHz or higher.
Old 13 February 2023, 17:17   #76
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well you can see it on the site of this Ticktock Games limited that is mentioned above as well:

https://www.ticktockgames.com/?page_id=183

2011 iOS version, 2012 for regular Mac and Android platforms and the 2013 release was apparently an iOS "Realtime Multiplayer Edition", interesting. And then in 2014 the Steam version.

From DOS to iOS to Mac/Android back to iOS and then Steam. What a journey.
Old 14 February 2023, 05:20   #77
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Well, I did quote the requirements as printed on the box, earlier in the thread.
That was response to Sokolovic's query of Mac Colonization system requirements, was it not? I would be very surprised if commercial Mac game released in 1998 would still be 68k.
Old 14 February 2023, 07:54   #78
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The only evidence of a Mac version existing is a few lines on MobyGames, I haven't seen anything on the usual Macintosh websites or archive.org. Not even a redump.

This seems to reference two releases.

At 1998 Apple were well into PPC G3 @ 233MHz or higher.
Same here, cannot find much info anywhere. And it was released in UK only?!?

Yeah Apple went full PPC BITD, but many apps/games were still "fat" executables (68K+PCC) until 2000 at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
That was response to Sokolovic's query of Mac Colonization system requirements, was it not? I would be very surprised if commercial Mac game released in 1998 would still be 68k.
Settlers2 was fat exe, f.i.
I remember I still had many Fat games and apps on my iMac G3/400 back in 2000/2001.
Old 14 February 2023, 08:05   #79
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I wonder if it is only me who thinks about Cannon Fodder immediately if a screenshot from Z pops up?
Old 14 February 2023, 09:47   #80
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I mean it's a birds eye view game with tiny sprites. Cannon Fodder does not hold a monopoly.