English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 29 December 2009, 02:24   #61
fc.studio
Cat lover

about slave5:
- During match the the keyboard perfectly works for tactics and substitution.
- Keyboard input (examples: manager name/load-save op./transfer buy valu): I click in the field I want to insert and the flashing cursor line appears. As I hit a key the line disappears and no key is accepted/written. Only the "DEL" key to quit is possible.
Old 29 December 2009, 07:00   #62
lolafg

Hello ,

with beta 5 , i can confirm there is a problem :

1- load game
2- new game
3-clic on season date and here i can't write nothing , when i try the ball cursor flash , and i can't go to other screen .

Hope that will help.
Old 29 December 2009, 09:51   #63
nikvest
Vertigo User

There is no install script, how do I install?
Old 29 December 2009, 10:13   #64
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
I can't check now, I'll try later. However I had 3 attempts. After loading the previous saved game I immediately had a text screen where I was told I was fired for bad results. On pressing the right mouse to exit from this screen I had the "GAME OVER". Then I can only use the "DEL" key to return to OS.
Isn`t this something derived from the original... where you can save and load at the end of the season until you get some good players to buy ? I seem to remember something about this, obviously this right... because you should be able to save and load and carry on..

I do remember something ... if you save and load too much... you get sacked!
Old 29 December 2009, 10:18   #65
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikvest View Post
There is no install script, how do I install?
Just type WHDLoad (previous installed) before the unpacked slave file. Be sure tu have disk.1 disk.2 and disk.3 in the same drawer.
Old 29 December 2009, 10:24   #66
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Isn`t this something derived from the original... where you can save and load at the end of the season until you get some good players to buy ? I seem to remember something about this, obviously this right... because you should be able to save and load and carry on..

I do remember something ... if you save and load too much... you get sacked!
The sacking screen reports a different manager name. This is surely wrong.
I found in the manual:
- Page 18, Chapter 6.11
SAVING GAME (entry: drawer in Manager's desk): "You can save a game so far at any time."
- Page 31
SOME HINTS AND TIPS: "You are advised not to save the game more than 6 times in one season. There is a penalty for doing so."

However it seems impossible to quit the game and to go directly to load (continue) screen.

Last edited by fc.studio; 29 December 2009 at 10:36.
Old 29 December 2009, 12:39   #67
nikvest
Vertigo User

Quote:
Just type WHDLoad (previous installed) before the unpacked slave file. Be sure tu have disk.1 disk.2 and disk.3 in the same drawer.
And how do I create those files from existing .adf ones?
Old 29 December 2009, 12:47   #68
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikvest View Post
And how do I create those files from existing .adf ones?
Just rename the ADF's to disk.1, disk.2 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio
However it seems impossible to quit the game and to go directly to load (continue) screen.
This is not possible in the disk version either I think.

Anyway, I can confirm that there was a problem with the beta5 slave, I now reverted back to an older version (beta4) and changed 1 minor thing which might fix the problem you have with loading/saving games. Please test attached slave.

Edit:
Quote:
- Just uploaded in the zone the Disk.4 (Slave_Beta4 used).
I just had a look at your save disk, there is a lot of data missing (i.e. the save game is corrupt), can you tell me exactly what you did to create it?
Attached Files
File Type: lha PM2ECSWHD_Beta6.lha (1.2 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by StingRay; 29 December 2009 at 13:07.
Old 29 December 2009, 14:56   #69
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I'm doing it but its a very buggy game unfortunately, a bit of a common theme for inhouse Anco games.
Is this currently being made? Is it not easier if StingRay just adapts the current ECS one to support the AGA version.

i dont understand the "i have bagsies" idea with WHDload slaves, when you've stated many time Galahad you dont even like Football games!
Old 29 December 2009, 14:59   #70
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Is this currently being made? Is it not easier if StingRay just adapts the current ECS one to support the AGA version.

i dont understand the "i have bagsies" idea with WHDload slaves, when you've stated many time Galahad you dont even like Football games!
Me liking or not liking a theme is irrelevant to whether I do an install, and seeing as i've virtually finished, no, i'm not just going to stop all work on it
Old 29 December 2009, 15:03   #71
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Me liking or not liking a theme is irrelevant to whether I do an install, and seeing as i've virtually finished, no, i'm not just going to stop all work on it
no need to get defensive. But, yes, i would say it's pretty relevant when a slave takes 3 years, and could take someone else 3 days, because it seems that the motivation isnt there.

Quote:
Player Manager (Anco), 90% Complete (BETA Testing Stage) 28.5.2006 Galahad
Old 29 December 2009, 15:18   #72
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Galahad lost all slaves/beta slaves from 2006 due a hdd crash iirc.
Old 29 December 2009, 17:02   #73
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
no need to get defensive. But, yes, i would say it's pretty relevant when a slave takes 3 years, and could take someone else 3 days, because it seems that the motivation isnt there.
A slave never takes that long, but my life does not revolve around Amiga or WHDLoad anymore. So I'll feel free to get as defensive as I deem necessary.

Also, I really wouldn't take any notice of anything on the WIP list, most people don't update it, and I don't because I can't remember my password to change the details.

The WIP list is also a load of crap, because (and this is not aimed at Stingray) several times i've listed an install i'm doing, and someone else releases it anyway, and no, we're not talking about me annoucing an install and then coming back to it two years later.

I can remember over 5 installs off the top of my head I announced, they were listed on the WIP and still someone else did them.

Its not much motivation to do an install, put that work in for someone to then disregard it and release their version instead.
Old 29 December 2009, 17:03   #74
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Galahad lost all slaves/beta slaves from 2006 due a hdd crash iirc.
Correct a mundo
Old 29 December 2009, 17:23   #75
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
my life does not revolve around Amiga or WHDLoad anymore.
Which is exactly why i dont understand the "i've got dibs on that, no one else had better do it" attitude.

No one expects you to be there "on-call" to work on one slave or another, but by the same token, perhaps you should not be surprised/upset if someone else does it instead, particularly in an instance like this, where much of the work is already done by someone else on another slave.

Quote:
Also, I really wouldn't take any notice of anything on the WIP list, most people don't update it, and I don't because I can't remember my password to change the details.
This is not me having a go, but is it really so hard to ask Bert for a password reset? There is not time to write 1 email to him in nearly four years? Come-on Galahad, be reasonable.

Quote:
I can remember over 5 installs off the top of my head I announced, they were listed on the WIP and still someone else did them.
If the WIP list is to be ignored, then perhaps we can go by posts instead:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=139001&postcount=2

Since this would imply the slave has been ready for nearly 6 years now!

Its not exactly fair on the WHDload users/gamers to make them wait all that time for a slave, just because someone has said they are doing it. You did it yourself with Speedball 2 remember the immortal "100% - Packaging to Do" ?

Quote:
Its not much motivation to do an install, put that work in for someone to then disregard it and release their version instead.
Someone else might do a better version, or be willing to make it open source, (something i am surprised you are not doing if HD crashes, or time to work on improvements are an issue) or someone else may simply have more time for maintaining/improving it.

I really dont see anything wrong with that in what is, after all, a community project.

You said yourself, you dont always have time for WHDload, and that's fair enough, but then that's why you shouldnt be so defensive about other people working on slaves.
Old 29 December 2009, 17:53   #76
lolafg

@ Hungry Horace ,

I can understand what you mean , but i think this thread isn't the place for this discuss and i think too that we should better thank whdload patch makers , Stingray for all the installs he is doing ans has done , Galahad and all others for all they have done too and will do!!

Sometimes it takes more time to do something because life is really mad BUT can i do an install myself ? No !!

Can you do an install yourself ? I don't know but i supose you can't....so we must be patient and think that without persons as Stingray , Galahad and all others we would still play from floppies...and more those persons don't ask for money and do all that for the Amiga Comunauty , i think it's really cool and can't thanks them enough.

It's just my point of view , don't take that for you
Old 29 December 2009, 17:55   #77
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Which is exactly why i dont understand the "i've got dibs on that, no one else had better do it" attitude.

No one expects you to be there "on-call" to work on one slave or another, but by the same token, perhaps you should not be surprised/upset if someone else does it instead, particularly in an instance like this, where much of the work is already done by someone else on another slave.

This is not me having a go, but is it really so hard to ask Bert for a password reset? There is not time to write 1 email to him in nearly four years? Come-on Galahad, be reasonable.

If the WIP list is to be ignored, then perhaps we can go by posts instead:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=139001&postcount=2

Since this would imply the slave has been ready for nearly 6 years now!

Its not exactly fair on the WHDload users/gamers to make them wait all that time for a slave, just because someone has said they are doing it. You did it yourself with Speedball 2 remember the immortal "100% - Packaging to Do" ?

Someone else might do a better version, or be willing to make it open source, (something i am surprised you are not doing if HD crashes, or time to work on improvements are an issue) or someone else may simply have more time for maintaining/improving it.

I really dont see anything wrong with that in what is, after all, a community project.

You said yourself, you dont always have time for WHDload, and that's fair enough, but then that's why you shouldnt be so defensive about other people working on slaves.
People take pride in their installs, especially the tricky ones.

I don't know about anyone else, I only speak for myself, but if i've put the effort into a particularly difficult game to install, damned right I don't want anyone else doing anything to it. That you don't understand that some people might want to keep some installs for themselves to do is not my concern.

Sorry, but the work done on the ECS version of Player Manager 2 does not automatically compute that the AGA version will be the same to install. And might I remind you, I started work on the AGA version before Stingray, by your analogy, Stingray should now stop all work on the ECS version because he's duplicating the work i've already started?!?!

And why shouldn't I get upset about listing a game to install, and then two weeks later, someone else releases it? I've wasted my time, and someone else has wasted my time.

Therefore why in hell should I care to contact Bert about getting my password for the WIP list when it is so flagrantly ignored? Me redoing the list does not guarantee that I'll be the one to install that game.

Someone else might do a better version? I'll leave that comment unanswered

What do you mean its not 'fair' on people? Are they paying for these slaves? Are they paying for our time? This is a hobby for all of us that do installs, any other considerations are irrelevant.

The only reason I did Speedball 2 was because it had been in 'progress' for so long, and Codetapper had effectively gone (and still has to the best of my knowlege), so neither he nor anyone else complained when I installed the game, because otherwise it wasn't going to get done.

And its great that Stingray is getting plenty of feedback over Kick Off 2, when I did the BETA version, I got virtually no feedback whatsoever which is why the install stalled for so long.

This conversation is over as far as I am concerned, you seem to have a great big hang up about why some of us want to keep our slaves as solo efforts. I put the bloody work in, and someone who adds a minimal amount of effort gets to share the same credit?!?!?!!?!? No chance!
Old 29 December 2009, 18:28   #78
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, I only speak for myself, but if i've put the effort into a particularly difficult game to install, damned right I don't want anyone else doing anything to it.
Thus fixing the install in a "time lock" until either you decide you want to work on it, or until you die and it has to be resourced. It wouldnt be the first time a WHDload slave author had passed away or disappeared and such a thing had to be done.

In some cases, you might refuse to add extras that are requested (Pinball Dreams CD32 control?) what happens then? The users never get the improvements they want, even if there is another person willing (and able) to work on it, but you sleep easy knowing no one will ever take away your credit.

Quote:
Sorry, but the work done on the ECS version of Player Manager 2 does not automatically compute that the AGA version will be the same to install.
I'm sure StingRay can answer that. I'm pretty sure i know what the answer is.

Quote:
And might I remind you, I started work on the AGA version before Stingray, by your analogy, Stingray should now stop all work on the ECS version because he's duplicating the work i've already started?!?!
As i said, its about showing something for it. 6 years of promises vs. someone just getting on and doing it? I think I know which the majority of users would prefer - ah but wait, it's not about the users is it?

Quote:
And why shouldn't I get upset about listing a game to install, and then two weeks later, someone else releases it? I've wasted my time, and someone else has wasted my time.
you shouldnt get upset, because frankly, that's life. i dont doubt you are more than aware of the expression "you snooze, you lose". Harsh? Maybe it is.

Quote:
Therefore why in hell should I care to contact Bert about getting my password for the WIP list when it is so flagrantly ignored? Me redoing the list does not guarantee that I'll be the one to install that game.
Call it a "show of faith" to show that there is activity on it?

Quote:
Someone else might do a better version? I'll leave that comment unanswered
sure - there are some pretty talented (and active) WHDload slave authors out there.

Afterall, heaven forbid that someone might make a new SWOS install that doesnt have a save/load tactics bug that lasts 6 years

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=604822&postcount=1

Cal that a "low blow" if you like, but you did question my comment afterall.

Quote:
What do you mean its not 'fair' on people? Are they paying for these slaves? Are they paying for our time? This is a hobby for all of us that do installs, any other considerations are irrelevant.
sorry, there was me thinking that an open community project was about providing something for people. I didnt realise it was about achieving some kind of personal Kudos.

I know I work on improving slaves where I have an interest in the game, and where the original authors feel they dont have the time/motivation to do any more on it.

Funnily enough, almost every slave author i've asked for sources to improve on have not only been happy to provide them, but have actively encouraged the practice. I guess they all have different considerations to yourself as well.

Quote:
The only reason I did Speedball 2 was because it had been in 'progress' for so long, and Codetapper had effectively gone (and still has to the best of my knowlege), so neither he nor anyone else complained when I installed the game, because otherwise it wasn't going to get done.
One rule for you... one for everyone else? I'm not saying dont do the PM2 AGA install (which, of course, has also been "in progress" as long as SB2 had) i'm just surprised to see you object so much to someone else doing it instead. Perhaps a beta or similar might be a good idea, if the work is largely done?

Quote:
I put the bloody work in, and someone who adds a minimal amount of effort gets to share the same credit?!?!?!!?!? No chance
I see. It's about personal credit, and not about providing something for the end-users. I guess we have different views about the aims of WHDload. You may not have notice that i never put the "same" credit for any additions I add to slave as the original authors. I dont claim to have your knowledge of cracking/patching.

If those extras are "minimal effort", why not add them in the first place?

I guess i'll have to be content with just not understanding the logic(?) here.
Old 29 December 2009, 19:10   #79
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Thus fixing the install in a "time lock" until either you decide you want to work on it, or until you die and it has to be resourced. It wouldnt be the first time a WHDload slave author had passed away or disappeared and such a thing had to be done.

In some cases, you might refuse to add extras that are requested (Pinball Dreams CD32 control?) what happens then? The users never get the improvements they want, even if there is another person willing (and able) to work on it, but you sleep easy knowing no one will ever take away your credit.

I'm sure StingRay can answer that. I'm pretty sure i know what the answer is.

As i said, its about showing something for it. 6 years of promises vs. someone just getting on and doing it? I think I know which the majority of users would prefer - ah but wait, it's not about the users is it?

you shouldnt get upset, because frankly, that's life. i dont doubt you are more than aware of the expression "you snooze, you lose". Harsh? Maybe it is.

Call it a "show of faith" to show that there is activity on it?

sure - there are some pretty talented (and active) WHDload slave authors out there.

Afterall, heaven forbid that someone might make a new SWOS install that doesnt have a save/load tactics bug that lasts 6 years

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=604822&postcount=1

Cal that a "low blow" if you like, but you did question my comment afterall.

sorry, there was me thinking that an open community project was about providing something for people. I didnt realise it was about achieving some kind of personal Kudos.

I know I work on improving slaves where I have an interest in the game, and where the original authors feel they dont have the time/motivation to do any more on it.

Funnily enough, almost every slave author i've asked for sources to improve on have not only been happy to provide them, but have actively encouraged the practice. I guess they all have different considerations to yourself as well.

One rule for you... one for everyone else? I'm not saying dont do the PM2 AGA install (which, of course, has also been "in progress" as long as SB2 had) i'm just surprised to see you object so much to someone else doing it instead. Perhaps a beta or similar might be a good idea, if the work is largely done?

I see. It's about personal credit, and not about providing something for the end-users. I guess we have different views about the aims of WHDload. You may not have notice that i never put the "same" credit for any additions I add to slave as the original authors. I dont claim to have your knowledge of cracking/patching.

If those extras are "minimal effort", why not add them in the first place?

I guess i'll have to be content with just not understanding the logic(?) here.
When I said the conversation was over, thats exactly what it meant, your petty point scoring is tiresome and boring.

If you're such a capable slave writer yourself, instead of 'improving' others installs, how about you have a crack at doing Wipeout?

Its a pity EAB doesn't have an ignore user feature, I have a feeling i'd be only too delighted to use it.

We're done here.
Old 29 December 2009, 19:24   #80
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
When I said the conversation was over, thats exactly what it meant, your petty point scoring is tiresome and boring.
It's not about point scoring. It's about discussing reasons and motivations, and I am genuinly trying to understand your position. I'm sorry if you feel you have to "defend" yourself from what i state.

Quote:
If you're such a capable slave writer yourself, instead of 'improving' others installs, how about you have a crack at doing Wipeout?
i never claimed to be able to crack games. Please show me one instance where i have made that claim.

Quote:
Its a pity EAB doesn't have an ignore user feature, I have a feeling i'd be only too delighted to use it.
http://eab.abime.net/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Be my guest.

The forum equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la la la - i'm not listening" - or you could just answer my comments in a reasonable manner, and not get so upset about it all.