Originally posted by RetroMan
Now I gotta go, searching for a FDD Controller
As they said in SmashTV...
"Good Luck! You'll need it!"
Old 17 September 2001, 22:36   #62
Fissuras
Old Luny

Big grin

Ho ho ho... I've played Hype! It is one of my favorites too!
Man, the MSX was really plenty of great shooters!!!!

I never finished Kaleidoscope, but my brother did. He finished Zanac also, if I am not mistaken. He always had more patience than I (and played better too).

See ya
Old 19 September 2001, 07:16   #63
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I've finished Zanac too (the 2 last levels are daaammnn hard)
now, Kaleidoscope Special, I couldn't beat even CHEATING.

@retroman

Akira said amost all, just missed the name of the ram cart. It isn't "Mega-rare", it's Megaram, although it's rather rare anyway :-)

Actually, there's little more envolved

Get a disk-drive and a FDD cart, and you can play any MSX 1 game up to 64 Kb of size.
As you probably know, most MSX games came in cartridges, and then were pirated to disk. In the beginning, all msx games had 64 Kb in max, so pirates dumped the ROM files of the cartridges to disks, added a small loader, and you could play them from disk.
Then came "Nemesis" and other games that had 128Kb (or more), and they can't be fit in the 64 KB ram of the standard MSX (Like yours).
To solve this problem, one guy here in Brazil, called Ademir Carchano (www.carchano.com.br ) made a cartridge called "Megaram" that was just a cart with 128 Kb of ram. So,brazilian pirates cracked the games to load the dumped ROM (saved in disk) into the RAM of the megaram.
A few months later, Europeans did something like that, called "Memory Mapper". The European mapper has the advantage of be internal, so you won't wast a cartridge slot. Games cracked for use with Memory Mapper WON'T WORK with Megaram, and the oppose is also true

Nowadays, you can load .ROMs files in real MSX. You copy the file into any floppy disk (MSX and PC disks are compatible), and you can use 2 programs:

Execrom - Brazilian program, it loads .ROMS files up to 64 Kb in a standard MSX, for rom files bigger than that, you'll need a Megaram

Loadrom - European program., it loads .ROMS files up to 64 Kb in a standard MSX, for rom files bigger, you'll need a Memory Mapper

I really have no idea where you could find a Memory Mapper or a Megaram nowadays. I believe Ademir Carchano still develops those Megaram carts, and MAYBE sunrise still sells Memory Mappers (Although I am not sure). I also don't have the url for Sunrise now, I'll may ask someone later. But if you do a quick serach in search engines, you'll probably find..

Sorry about the long post, hope I've cleared everything
Old 19 September 2001, 09:37   #64
RetroMan

@Shatterhand

yep, thx great job, but I got another question.... I yesterday fitted a tape recorder on my MSX just for testing purposes... do you know any SHMUPS on tape ??? These came as .TAP files and can be converted back to .WAV on PC and then put back on Tape via Soundcard Output !! thx in advance .....
Old 19 September 2001, 19:25   #65
Amiga1992

Well here's thw drill. As far as I know Tape images for MSX do not exist, no emulator supports them. Then again here might be a program that makes them but I doubt it. for C64/PLus4 etc you have TAPs, but not that I know for MSX.

You better try and give a kidney for an FDD controller and a Memory Mapper (I didnt give the name because I didnt rememebr the euro version, shatterhand But tehse are rare carts anyway!)
Old 19 September 2001, 20:35   #66
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Well here's thw drill. As far as I know Tape images for MSX do not exist, no emulator supports them.
This is definitely NOT true ....
---------------------------- SNIP ------------------------------
PowerMSX (MS-DOS)
PowerMSX is a MSX emulator for DOS. It emulates a MSX1 with 64Kb of RAM and emulates tapes as tape images and disk as disk images. Screen 3 is very slow and without sprites. The emulator currently is at a very early stage of development but already runs a lot of games. Even some Europian games that were not expected to work run, like Venom, Profanation, Army Moves, Hundra, etc... It features good emulated PSG sound also.
--------------------------- /SNIP -------------------------------

see ?? ... emulates tape images .... cause I know of a lot MSX games that come on tapes .....

EDIT : Foun another kewl thingy : http://mercury.spaceports.com/~corec...h/joyneten.htm

There you can build cables to connect two MSX together OR to connect a PC to a MSX

Last edited by RetroMan; 19 September 2001 at 20:58.
Old 20 September 2001, 06:48   #67
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Pulstar Neo Geo??? Hmm, I'm getting confused- I recently completed a Neo Geo shooter called Blastar- and it really rocked too!

Same games?
Old 20 September 2001, 06:58   #68
birdy-scc
Banned

You might be thinking of "Blazing Star"?
Old 20 September 2001, 14:25   #69
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

oops!

Thanks Birdy, you were right- Blazing Star it was!

I think I got the names mixed up with that Amiga shooter called Blastar, no?

I think it was a game in which you could turn your ship a full 360 degrees and pretty much travel anywhere, instead of "going with the flow" of the scrolling.

Never played the full game, only a demo off Amiga Action.
Old 20 September 2001, 17:21   #70
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Your right Muzkat. I just been recently looking back at The One & saw the review of Blastar.

Although slightly off topic(though still about shoot-em-up's), I' m trying to remember a really old shoot-em-up from the arcades, but haven't got a clue as to the name of it.

It was one where you had a three tier space ship,(giving effectively 3 "lives"). A small ship,then a medium ship then a large one-as a bonus for surviving a couple of levels you had to dock your current ship onto your next available craft. It was a vertical scroller,(though no real backdrops other than stars I think.) The closest timeline I suggest was 1982,but it might've been older than that, any thought's?
Old 20 September 2001, 18:20   #71
birdy-scc
Banned

That game has to be "Terra Cresta", "Moon Cresta", or one of the various other clones...

I don't know if swiping this image from mame.dk is the done thing, but hey
Old 20 September 2001, 18:37   #72
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Thanks Birdy-scc!!
Spent ages trying to find a name!!
As far as fave shooters go & what systems ,it's difficult to remember them all, besides, should you strictly list blaster's like say R-type,(Arcade version), but I can likewise equally say I enjoyed Turrican on the C64 which is a shooter/platformer hybrid??
Also enjoyed Operation Wolf on the C64, which whilst not totally perfect was very playable & a good version given it was a single load.
For all-out horizontal shooters on the Amiga, I think both Silkworm & X-out were underatted a tad both being quite playable.
Old 20 September 2001, 19:43   #73
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan

This is definitely NOT true ....
VERY interesting, for there are no tape images for MSX afaik. Time to get dumping people Are you sure it takes RAW TAPE IAMGEs and not just emulate the tape device (in some other way)?
Old 20 September 2001, 19:55   #74
birdy-scc
Banned

I thought this was a shmups thread? Pah! There's never a moderator around when you need one.

Back in the REAL world,

Quote:
I think I got the names mixed up with that Amiga shooter called Blastar, no?
I'm not very clued up on amiga games, but I'm sure someone else will know...
Old 20 September 2001, 20:27   #75
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Blastar

Yup, it's Blastar.

Last edited by CodyJarrett; 13 March 2007 at 09:32.
Old 20 September 2001, 20:56   #76
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Missile command

So hard to think of just one, my mind tends to split up the games according to their platforms, so here's my choices:-

When i was thinking of my favourite i almost forgot this one, but there's something very special about missile command. The first time i played it was on the Atari 800xl, the cartridge was an unbelievable 8k. I mean how do you make a 8k game so playable, it's quite astounding. 8k wouldn't even get you an error message in windows hehe. When you think of all the gigabyte sized games around that are unplayable, this one puts it to shame.

The other game also on the Atari 800xl was Zybex by Zeppelin. This game is fantastic, It's one of the most intense shmups i've ever played. It also features some great music quite reminisent of david whittaker stuff.

So many on the c64, but i'd probably choose cybernoid 2 as the best overall shmup on that platform.

There was a lot of really tough shmups on the amiga, I'd probably choose stardust/disposable hero for the lovely graphics and addictive gameplay though.

And in the arcade nemesis was a firm favourite too. I lost a lot of money to this one.

Out of all these I'd probably choose missile command overall, which some of you might think is quite pathetic, given the graphics of some of the other stuff i mentioned, but the fact is, the gameplay is just so perfect, whether that was intended or was pure luck i can only guess...
Old 20 September 2001, 22:35   #77
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

VERY interesting, for there are no tape images for MSX afaik. Time to get dumping people Are you sure it takes RAW TAPE IAMGEs and not just emulate the tape device (in some other way)?
Okok, sorry for missing the Topic @Akira : I opened a MSX THREAD, head over to the OffTopic Area ..... btw. it isnĀ“t THAT far away, cause I wanted to play MSX SHMUPS on the real machine
Old 20 September 2001, 23:46   #78
Amiga1992

MSX rocks for shmups.

getting back on topic, Blazing Star is not as great as Pulstar IMO. Just a lame attempt at a pseudo-sequel.

Blastar was quite awful IMO, never liked it. I preffer Stardust or Super Satrdust! YEs, it's asteroids on LSD, but, gosh, isn't it nice??
Old 22 September 2001, 00:40   #79
birdy-scc
Banned

This is an excellent game - it is well flashy, and will probably annoy the purists, but it looks GREAT! It plays pretty well too..

It's played on Raine, and you can get it from
Jose Qs emulation site
Old 22 September 2001, 05:31   #80
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't think Batsugun annoys the purists, but it does annoy me as it's BLOODY HARD. Yeah, it's a great game, but I like to play my games with a single credit, and I could never get past level 3 with one credit.... alas, I can barely beat level 2 boss, I usually get there wih 5 bombs, and I need to waste them all to beat it

Raine is THE SHMUP emulator, if you use it, get the Cave games, as they are great. Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Dangun Feveron, ESP Rade and Guwange, all fantastic games..

In Raine there's also Armed Police Batrider, one of my favs. All those games plays a lot like Batsugun, and are rather better too (not saying Batsugun is bad, it indeed is a great game)