English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

View Poll Results: Will you help us to fill the Database ?
Yes, I will 21 75.00%
No, sorry 0 0%
Maybe ... 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07 May 2001, 18:43   #61
Amiga1992

I just read a message from Mangar on another board, and it seems he is STILL working on his CAFE database!

Why not try and merge powers? I think the best way for a really good Amiga database to be achieved, is by everybody joining forces.

Try and email him. His project is something similar to Gamebase64 but his database surely is big by now, perhaps you guys could all work together. [link: http://www.hitoro.com]

Last edited by Amiga1992; 07 May 2001 at 18:56.
Old 07 May 2001, 19:04   #62
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Versions

I think everyone is getting confused here. Is this any better:-

1. You could just have a tick box for whether an hd install exists if you really wanted. HD installs shouldn't be included as seperate games though.

2. Maybe the kickstart isn't important after all, if you know a game is OCS then it's obvious it's 500 etc. I think just have tick boxes for OCS, ECS, AGA, CD32, CDTV or if you prefer 500, 500+, 600, 1200, CD32 and CDTV. This is showing what amiga's it works on as opposed to what it's intended for.

3. So, labyrinth of time would have cd32 and cdtv ticked and have labyrinth of time cd32 as the title, to show which version it is intended for. 1200 games should have AGA in the title and similar for ECS. OCS games are the default type of game so no mention is necessary in the title. This is showing the intended platform.

4. What about PPC. PPC games are out now, so I think this should definitely be included. What about 030, 040, 060 amiga's. Should we have a tick to show whether it works on these too.

5. And about disks, you need to have a media type for CD-ROM and disks. Because 1200 CD games exist that won't work on cd32, so it wouldn't be obvious.
Old 07 May 2001, 19:22   #63
Warlock99

Sorry

We need to show different versions in title too if there are others. So simon sorceror CD32/AGA/OCS - to show there are three versions. If as an example the cd32 version worked on cdtv (i'm pretty sure it wouldn't) then it'd be ticked within that record and it'd be obvious it must be the cd32 one (the only one on cd). It could be mentioned as code jarrett was saying within the review to clarify it.

Or shall we just have different lines to make it easier? It's getting a bit complicated.
Old 07 May 2001, 19:25   #64
Warlock99

Disk

I think we would have to have different lines otherwise the disk numbers would be wrong i.e some aga versions have more disks than the ecs one.
Old 07 May 2001, 22:36   #65
Warlock99

List Update

Attached is the latest game list - 0-F totalling 1915 games so far. Not even half way yet, so we're not doing too bad. I haven't implemented the cd32\aga\ecs thing yet, not sure what we've decided.

Please email me if you can see a game missing.

vlnw30101@cableinet.co.uk

Does anybody want to check the list for spelling mistakes etc. I'm going cross-eyed looking at it, at the moment.

Last edited by Warlock99; 07 May 2001 at 22:52.
Old 07 May 2001, 23:23   #66
RCK
Administrator

CD32 / ESC / AGA games will be implemented.
but please make one list txt file for each type of game !

the database structure is near to be finished

last modification:
- HD installation will only be an option for each prod (yes or no)
- If a game exist in different format (ex: simon), there will be one entry in the database for each version. (the hardware type change), so number of disk and review can change also.
- no more "Different version" field

If you think to update something else, it's the moment !
check the last revision !

I don't know PPC games... what kind of hardware do we need for that ?
Old 10 May 2001, 06:26   #67
Amiga1992

Yor brought quite some point there RCK.. specs... A lot of games don't just need 'AGA, 2MB and HD', for example. Specially newer games. One might think that saying that it is a PPC game is enough, but it surely isn't.

This brings me to the conclusion that this info should not be included in the database. What to include? These is one suggestion:

OCS/ECS/AGA/PPC

That's it? Yes. These would join most games in a common category. If the game doesn't run in your machine with a certain number of megs, or if you dont have CGX, whatever man, find that out for yourself, dont be thick. I know PPC is not a chipset, but it is the best way to englobe all the PPC games.

Again, I bring the point of the focus. What is really the focus? Chuck as much info as possible on each entry, or having the most complete list of Amiga games? I think you should define this first before doing anything.

If you englobe the games among the above base categories, and perhaps say which kickstart they run in, you are set. Maybe you can include the memory reqs, but I wouldn't give a rats ass.

My 0.02 (ok, I think I sum up to 2.36 now )
Old 10 May 2001, 08:48   #68
Warlock99

PPC etc

I must admit I don't know much about PPC, except that there are some games out there. Doesn't anybody know?

I suppose you could just have a PPC category and any other details could be mentioned in the review.

I think we should have thought more about the fields before RCK started working on it, cause it must be a pain for us to come up with more all the time. Or is it easy?

Other fields have sprung to mind, such as required memory, hd space required? But, maybe these details can be included in the review.

The problem is, a database is only as good as the information in it? A list in it's self is not the whole point surely?

BTW - About the list, I'm on the letter S, and the list currently has 4500 games, good eh? I might finish it today or tomorrow. The list should be a good indication of the size. Of course a lot of PD games exist too, of which I have included only a few of so far. Do you have enough webspace by the way?
Old 10 May 2001, 10:22   #69
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
This brings me to the conclusion that this info should not be included in the database. What to include? These is one suggestion:

OCS/ECS/AGA/PPC
okay. and what about CD32 or CDTV ?
maybe we can add them as "option to check or not", like HD installation.

Quote:
Again, I bring the point of the focus. What is really the focus? Chuck as much info as possible on each entry, or having the most complete list of Amiga games? I think you should define this first before doing anything.
That's why we are trying to do right now

Quote:
If you englobe the games among the above base categories, and perhaps say which kickstart they run in, you are set. Maybe you can include the memory reqs, but I wouldn't give a rats ass.
Kickstarts ...
yes, no, yes, no , need more opinion on this point
Old 10 May 2001, 10:24   #70
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

PD

The list so far is a mix of half PD/shareware/freeware and half commercial. Is this wise?
Old 10 May 2001, 12:36   #71
RCK
Administrator

arg...
very good point cody.
must add one games type now

hey warlock ! try to separate this also (5 files)

- commercial
- public domain
- shareware
- freeware
if you don't know, do a special list "- don't know"

and in each type, we have different kind of hardware type.
(depending on the release)

> ECS
> OCS
> AGA
> PPC

> CD32 AGA ?
> CDTV ?

Old 10 May 2001, 12:55   #72
LaundroMat

Game specs

Wouldn't a field like 'Minimum requirements' do the trick?

I mean, AGA games will only run on an AGA machine (obviously) or above. OCS will run on any machine. PPC games (dunno much about them either) could require an xx Mhz PPC and xxMb of memory.

And it would be interesting to see the platform in the title as well (eg Simon CD32, Zool 2 AGA, etc).
Old 10 May 2001, 12:59   #73
LaundroMat

Half-commercial games

Quote:
The list so far is a mix of half PD/shareware/freeware and half commercial.
Err, what is half-commercial? I mean, what's the difference with the other categories?
Old 10 May 2001, 13:46   #74
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Commercial

I meant that half of the list was commercial games and half of the list was shareware/freeware/licenceware/PD etc.

I estimate that there are between 3,000 and 3,500 commercial games on the Amiga (probably).
Old 10 May 2001, 13:52   #75
RCK
Administrator

half commercial ? wahaha, no, i just think he want to speak about commercial game

Yes, the field hardware is the same as "minimal requirements"
and you will see it near the name of the game (like many other things )
Old 10 May 2001, 14:00   #76
LaundroMat

Oops

Sorry. I should have read that post better. But I'm at work here you know...
Old 10 May 2001, 18:52   #77
Amiga1992

Ok, I will refine a bit what I Wrote (it was late, you know I completely forgot CD32, so it should be added. MOst, if not all, CDTV software can be run by any Amiga with a cd drive, so I wouldn't consider it as an extra category.

walock, I dont think more fileds shold be added. What I tried to say is that there should be LESS fields MInimum Requirements doesn't sound like a field with a point, I'd completely scratch it.

Again, RCK, what is the dbase's focus? lots of info on each entry, or the bigger list of Amiga games possible?

Commercial/shareware/F1 licenseware/fereware etc. should be included, methinks. Could be in a ' License' field
Old 10 May 2001, 19:39   #78
Gibby

CD32 Reviews

I'd deffinately be up for writing reviews of CD32 games. I have a large collection of games for that particullar failed console and I still fire it up to play Guardian and Roadkill most nights.

Old 10 May 2001, 20:07   #79
Warlock99

The list

What I'll do for now is just get the full list finished and then maybe we can split the work of dividing it into PD and commercial and then into OCS,ECS, AGA,CD32 between us. Does that sound OK for now? I think I'd need some help with this part.

I'll update the list soon...
Old 10 May 2001, 20:08   #80
RCK
Administrator

Okay all, I have Rebuild the database in order to focus more like akira said, extra info should be found in the review.

we want to build the " bigger list of Amiga games " or not ?

If you think I have missed something important, just tell it, and we will make discussion and poll.

Check the Dababase here