English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 23 December 2002, 20:35   #61
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by |cy[ool
Just noticed this, during all the fuss going on around here.. :P

0000 57076f41 Wizard Wars 2382.adf
It is Wizard Warz not Wizard Wars. The game you gave is a freeware/shareware game. It is even on Aminet!

http://www.aminet.net/aminet.cgi?string=Wizard+Wars

Update: Doh, Fjrb beat me to it.
Old 23 December 2002, 20:37   #62
Fjrb

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
So well, some words from me !

I just had a look at the first release (and tested with WinUAE btw ) and I think it is GREAT !!!

You get everything you need to play a game, including the manual etc. ! This is really awesome, no more fake cracks, corrupt disk images etc. ......

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t want ADF´s to be replaced, adf´s are great to play those games on a real Amiga ! CAPS is THE perfect extension to ADF !!!!

Keep it that way Congrats
Well, thanks a bunch in the name of everyone involved in the CAPS project

You get everything you need to play a game, including the manual etc. ! This is really awesome, no more fake cracks, corrupt disk images etc. ......

There will be other goodies that will enhance the nostalgia experience, in the right time

It'll be pretty cool when you have an interesting list of Preserved Games all with nice boxes, covers, manuals, and other goodies that came along with the original, and browse through it just you can do with MAME frontends and MAME32.

I myself believe the Amiga deserved this for a long time.

Also a note for everyone is that the 10 megs of the Preservation Package include all of this media (covers,manual, etc), the "image" itself of the CAPS Final is a mere ~200kb

Oh, and yes, Retro;

adf´s are great to play those games on a real Amiga ! CAPS is THE perfect extension to ADF !!!!

They are great, without them with have nothing for all these years, but soon they'll not be the ones alone usable in a Real Amiga

And as usual, even a "little" bit more than that ...

Edit: It seems as though this information can be completely disclosed, so, please enjoy it:

1, IPFs are not meant to replace adfs - they serve a very different purpose.

2, IPFs are carefully designed from the ground up to hold enough information to make it possible to remaster the games to play on a real amiga from disk or use it for installation etc. They hold all the information that the original game disk does plus a whole lot more that enables faithful reproduction in memory (emulation, installation) or on physical media (floppy disks).

Last edited by Fjrb; 23 December 2002 at 20:47.
Old 23 December 2002, 23:59   #63
oldpx

Will CAPS images be always that big?

Old 24 December 2002, 00:01   #64
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Will CAPS images always that big?
The image is very small (~200kb) Most of the size is taken by the Manual in PDF and the box scans

Who cares (well, I think 56K Modem users will )
Old 24 December 2002, 00:01   #65
v8juice

Quote:
Will CAPS images always that big?
I hope so because they are worth it. Long live the Amiga.
Old 24 December 2002, 00:37   #66
oldpx

Hmm, there are JPG files inside the archive. JPG is the last format to use if "preservation" is the goal. I suggest Tiff files created with zip compression, and then rarred. Anyway I like what blackcornflake said on this thread.

Quote:
The crux of the matter for me is that the images created by scanning and subsequently displayed in HOL are just that - digital images, 1s and 0s. Not the actual boxes. Even a perfect scan with no treatment is not actually the real thing, so tweaking the digital image isn't really making it any more or less 'authentic'. The same concept was more eloquently put by the surrealist René Magritte in 1929, with the inscription below his painting of a pipe: "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" (This is not a pipe).
If you want to preserve a non-digital object, you best enbalm it like a mummy, for a copy, is just a copy and having it's own uniqueness, it is distinctive than the original.

Old 24 December 2002, 00:59   #67
Fjrb

Hi,

Hmm, there are JPG files inside the archive

Oh god, call the firemen!

JPG is the last format to use if "preservation" is the goal.

Actually it's the first, due to practicality issues. CAPS has looked hard at all formats in the quest for the best perfomance\quality solutions.

Perhaps, if we all had ADSL and 120gig hd's we'd make another decision, but, having to deal with reality this is the only solution. Mind you not, though, CAPS has taken care that compression is at the very minium, looks faithful to the original, and comes out well when printed.

I suggest Tiff files created with zip compression, and then rarred.

Probably resulting in still high sizes. And well, we could have use all sorts of 10 step procedures, it simply is not a good decision for the end-user. Again, good luck on finding differences between the included and the possibly compressed under other formats.

If you want to preserve a non-digital object, you best enbalm it like a mummy, for a copy, is just a copy and having it's own uniqueness, it is distinctive than the original.

It's all just a race against time, we all as humans even are all but a race against time. Fight on, but a battle condemned to lost. Time rules all, everything.

Nevertheless instead of having decayed paper we'll have high quality scans. Mind you, scan that and keep it in BMP and it's still not a box, but a scan, thus "not the real thing". You have to draw the line somewhere and attempt, or, giving in to time, cease to try and accept defeat and do nothing.

Doing nothing IMHO is not acceptable.
Old 24 December 2002, 01:40   #68
Amigaboy

No offence to you when I say this Fjrb but.....Who are you? Are you one of the CAPS team or the biggest fanboy this planet has ever seen?

Before now, I'd never heard of you (of course, my CAPS team knowledge extended as far as fiath and István ). The only mention I see of you is that you redesigned the CAPS site

Old 24 December 2002, 01:59   #69
fiath

Yes, Fjrb has been in it since the beginning.

Top bloke.

He also did the old website, all the graphics and stuff and casts his sound mind to many of the decisions we have to make.

Old 24 December 2002, 02:03   #70
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Yes, Fjrb has been in it since the beginning.

Top bloke.

He also did the old website, all the graphics and stuff and casts his sound mind to many of the decisions we have to make.

ah. I see
Is there a list of CAPS team members anywhere? Makes it easier to suck up whenever there's a new release ;P

Old 24 December 2002, 02:13   #71
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile

I scanned the whole site - there isn't...yet.
I agree that with every project in the world, the (main) members of the project should be named somewhere.
Old 24 December 2002, 02:27   #72
Fjrb

Originally posted by Amigaboy
ah. I see
Is there a list of CAPS team members anywhere? Makes it easier to suck up whenever there's a new release ;P

Christian doesn't like the ass kissing,
And Fjrb doesn't like the sucking up.

Besides, all the groupie vacancies are full. Perhaps one of them
gets knocked up and a position will open. Ya never know

Humour aside, people in CAPS are having so much stuff to do they probably won't even have time to think about PR stuff. It really gets hectic. Things are also so planned ahead that no outside influence is likely to affect decisions ... you could even say the CAPS team doesn't make decisions, it just picks up the most valid solutions, there very few "choices" made.

Man, i'm the biggest fanboy CAPS will ever have
Old 24 December 2002, 02:43   #73
Fjrb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andreas
I scanned the whole site - there isn't...yet.
I agree that with every project in the world, the (main) members of the project should be named somewhere.

There's section called credits in there, it has a few names Nothing would be possible without those people. I was especially touched by that contribution a parent on behalf of his son. It was also very impressive how some people contributed a lot of stuff in.

It also was a project that started with a call to the community, and although some people are in there for a lot of time and dedicated a lot of time and effort (and money) i guess they still see it as a community thing.

I guess none in CAPS make recognition a top priority or even a priority at all; i'd even venture if any of us had, we wouldn't come through. There was a major time in the beggining there was no recognition and a lot of silliness going around, if anyone had been after that they'd have given up.

I'd like personally to congratulate the guys that did those games 10 or 15 years ago, damn they were sweet pieces of art. So much we're still talking about them.
Old 24 December 2002, 02:56   #74
oldpx

Quote:
Again, good luck on finding differences between the included and the possibly compressed under other formats.
The difference between a jpg and a tiff is far more visible to the eye than the difference between an adf and an ipf (assuming both disk images do work.)

Quote:
Actually it's the first, due to practicality issues. CAPS has looked hard at all formats in the quest for the best perfomance\quality solutions.
An 200k ipf file in a 10mb archive doesn't seem very practical

Old 24 December 2002, 03:28   #75
Fjrb

The difference between a jpg and a tiff is far more visible to the eye than the difference between an adf and an ipf (assuming both disk images do work.)

A complete falacy, you'd know the difference when your SOTB3 misses and intro on ADF and not in IPF, and it's a little bit more than a couple of pixels difference. One would also have to be close to blind to miss the intros, cracktros and trainers

Scan something at 2000pixels, post a Tiff and then a 100% Jpeg. Invite everyone to see the difference with their eyes. Post it with 90% and invite them again.

An 200k ipf file in a 10mb archive doesn't seem very practical

If we had an even unperforming image format(s) chosen it woulnd't be 10megs. Perhaps more, and try that with real, full blown manuals.

CAPS releases prevervations. The game as it was original as pristine as it can be. Would you take an original at a store with no box ? No manual ? Surely no one in their right mind would ...

If the community wishes to strip them a part for convinience, then fine. They are completely free to do so. CAPS has decided to make a point by providing the whole experience in one package, the same way a store provides you the full product. This is geared to true collectioners and Amigaphiliacs. If you can't take the 10 megs (or more! soon) there's always ADF for you as long as you don't care about the incoviniences, or a seperate IPF if the community takes it under their hands to do so.

Anything else would cutting and ripping it. We all know the Amiga has had enough of that, and truly, at last deserves the quality treatment other platforms have gotten. So do it's fans. Why should be an Amiga fan inferior to a MAME fan ? Remember a few months ago, originals were given as a lost cause. As extinct. That's all changed now.

Hey, if ya want to download an UT ISO you'd have to lay down 1.4gigs pronto downloading, it's just the price one pays for quality. The detail that arises was the everyone was used to getting it all on 700k or less, but hey, you start eating better you start paying more
Old 24 December 2002, 09:38   #76
Feltzkrone

JPG at a high resolution is the best choice! And this has been done. The only thing I'd ask for is an edge preserving smooth filter (PSP) to reduce the artifacts shown as "color rings" known from each professional print. But you won't have to do this as with such a nice resolution anybody could do it him/herself.

@CAPS:
Old 24 December 2002, 10:07   #77
icycool
Banned

on a slightly off topic about ripping.. wtf is this dat/program i see available feltz?..... its not nearly descriptive enough to rebiuld a disk
p.s.. i'm drunk
Old 24 December 2002, 10:46   #78
oldpx

Quote:
A complete falacy, you'd know the difference when your SOTB3 misses and intro on ADF and not in IPF, and it's a little bit more than a couple of pixels difference. One would also have to be close to blind to miss the intros, cracktros and trainers
Naturally, I'm speaking of exact adf and ipfs ie. adf of an original.

Quote:
Scan something at 2000pixels, post a Tiff and then a 100% Jpeg. Invite everyone to see the difference with their eyes. Post it with 90% and invite them again.
I'd love to make that test if I had a scanner here, anyway I know I can see the difference.

Old 24 December 2002, 10:49   #79
manicx

Oi!!! I didn't know C.A.P.S. need the manuals + disk scans too!!! I can provide those as my HP scanner is amazing!!! On my way to make some scans....
Old 24 December 2002, 12:19   #80
Walker

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
Oi!!! I didn't know C.A.P.S. need the manuals + disk scans too!!! I can provide those as my HP scanner is amazing!!! On my way to make some scans....
If the scans you make are not in HOL, please upload them to the HOL FTP. Thanks!