English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 February 2023, 02:08   #61
lmimmfn

Excellent jotd, really looking forward to thus, always wanted to play a decent conversion, the Amstrad CPC version is junk, fingers crossed for a proper miggy version.

Last edited by lmimmfn; 08 February 2023 at 11:38.
Old 08 February 2023, 03:23   #62
Pyromania

When is it coming out?
Old 08 February 2023, 10:38   #63
jotd
This cat is no more

it will still take a while. The sound is nonexistent for instance. And there are a lot of glitches to fix (first: find a way to do that properly). Plus the neogeo part isn't complete if I understand Mark (tcdev) properly.

Hopefully before summer.
Old 08 February 2023, 14:15   #64
tcdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
it will still take a while. The sound is nonexistent for instance. And there are a lot of glitches to fix (first: find a way to do that properly). Plus the neogeo part isn't complete if I understand Mark (tcdev) properly.
There are 6 remaining known bugs in the gameplay. Right now I'm in the process of an 'audit' of the transcode, and am fixing known bugs as I encounter the relevant code during the audit. I'd expect the process to take another few weeks at most until the Neo Geo is 100% complete except for sound.

Once the audit is complete I'll switch to supporting jotd where I can and then we'll likely add sound support in parallel to our respective ports.
Old 08 February 2023, 17:03   #65
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdev View Post
Wow, this is awesome guys, it's going to look great!

Once a reduced palette has been finalised, I might even add it as an option to the Neo Geo version, as you have oodles of graphics ROM space and two banks of palette data (I'm only using one atm).

Just wondering now which other 68K platforms will be viable with a reduced palette... X68000, Genesis? ST?
X68000 should eat this game for breakfast (color and processing wise), just like Neo-Geo, no need for any reduced palettes there. Genesis should also be pretty capable of an 1-1 version given you can display (around) 64 colors at once. You only need to split the palettes to 4 16 color ones. The only downside is you're limited to a 512 overall palette (unlike amiga which has 4096 colors available). So for a version of Xevious you might need to change some color values to match the Genesis palette and then make sure each tile or sprite only uses one of the 4 palettes. So overall a different set of gfx and approach is needed for best results on Genesis vs Amiga.
Old 17 February 2023, 20:53   #66
jotd
This cat is no more

Another video for the WIP version for A1200. Running from winuae with A1200 speed.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 February 2023, 09:20   #67
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Looks promising Is the 'stutter' of the background performance related or is there a different reason for it?
Old 18 February 2023, 15:16   #68
jotd
This cat is no more

The objects in the background that you can bomb are also sprites. Since background is scrolling, the game is emulating the moving position by changing sprite Y.

This is also visible in MAME, albeit slightly less. Since the game is a Z80 to 68k transcode for NeoGeo then ported to Amiga, such issues may occur.

I still have to figure out a way to filter this bad visual effect.
Old 18 February 2023, 16:30   #69
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you for the explanation I haven't played the game often so I didn't notice it happening in MAME.

Quote:
I still have to figure out a way to filter this bad visual effect.
Good luck
Old 18 February 2023, 18:45   #70
A500

Quote:
Another video for the WIP version for A1200. Running from winuae with A1200 speed.

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks for the update!
Old 18 February 2023, 19:48   #71
pink^abyss

[QUOTE=jotd;1593313
- each tile is 8x8 which is a nightmare for the amiga because the blitter can't be used efficiently
[/QUOTE]

I remember for Tinyus I also had 8x8 tiles to handle. I used the cpu to copy merged 16x8 tiles. I think I needed only to copy one 16x8 tile each frame because the game scrolled very slow.

4bpl would e a good choice for OCS. Later in the game quite a few larger enemies are on screen. I think the blitter would not be able to make it all at 50fps with 5bpl. The score and own ship can be all done by sprites. So a good 16 color palette would allow a near 1:1 conversion.
Old 18 February 2023, 22:22   #72
jotd
This cat is no more

Since I'm using dual playfield I don't have to blit the tiles several times to restore the background. So 8x8 tiles is okay, using CPU. Your solution looks good (but tricky to implement probably)

Foreground tiles are 1-bitplane, and rarely used in the screen. So updating them with the CPU isn't a big problem either.

Now for OCS, 16 colors for 1:1 is probably not going to cut it. I have a hard time fitting all colors in 32 colors of AGA dual playfield. Using sprite palette helps slightly but this isn't going to handle the general case. There are a lot of objects on screen

And also: I'm not as talented as you are. And not my choice of conversion, doing a port of a Z80 transcode that isn't compatible with amiga hardware. So maybe there will be an ECS port, which will be 16 colors DPF and pretty much washed off
Old 19 February 2023, 05:25   #73
pink^abyss

Quote:
And also: I'm not as talented as you are. And not my choice of conversion, doing a port of a Z80 transcode that isn't compatible with amiga hardware. So maybe there will be an ECS port, which will be 16 colors DPF and pretty much washed off

Thanks for your kind words tho for Tinyus it was also the talent of Fade1 who was amazing in retouching the graphics. Also without Bartmans C/C++ environment I would have never been brave enough to start. Im sure you will do a super accurate port with your design!
Old 19 February 2023, 12:57   #74
tcdev

Quote:
This is also visible in MAME, albeit slightly less. Since the game is a Z80 to 68k transcode for NeoGeo then ported to Amiga, such issues may occur.
It is still possible that the scheduling of the MAIN and SUB CPU programs with respect to the VBL can be tweaked to reduce this effect. TBA.
Old 19 February 2023, 13:00   #75
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
Thanks for your kind words tho for Tinyus it was also the talent of Fade1 who was amazing in retouching the graphics. Also without Bartmans C/C++ environment I would have never been brave enough to start. Im sure you will do a super accurate port with your design!

Yes, Mark is a very strict adept of Z80 transcoding, so all enemy moves & shots are accurate (which is something that some people will blame you for if you're rolling your own moves on such an iconic game)

I'm a fan of all-assembly (got enough high level languages at work, and got really disappointed by the performance of my Bagman C++ amiga port). I won't retouch the graphics except for color reduction/quantization done by my pre-processing python script. If I can use AGA sprites with a different palette, this end boss will look magnificent.

I'll take you up to the challenge of shoehorning this game 1:1 on 16 colors ECS though even using sprites that would be not a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdev View Post
It is still possible that the scheduling of the MAIN and SUB CPU programs with respect to the VBL can be tweaked to reduce this effect. TBA.
I've already tried a few things like adding/subbing offsets... to ground objects, to no avail. An improvement by your end would certainly be welcome!!
Old 20 February 2023, 16:17   #76
pink^abyss

Quote:
I'll take you up to the challenge of shoehorning this game 1:1 on 16 colors ECS though even using sprites that would be not a piece of cake.

Hehe.. I would add to the challenge to make it in 32Kb. However, the Gradius conversion was mainly motivated by the great music, something that doesn't work for me with Xevious..
Old 20 February 2023, 16:22   #77
jotd
This cat is no more

Xevious music is just pure crap... But remakes include good music it seems.

I dug into trying to make it faster though. Found a few ways to optimize the game

- first, I did a second update every 5 update to emulate 60Hz, but I forgot that the update also redrew everything, which is useless. Skipped one redraw => a lot of useless blits => speed gain
- all sprites are 16x16 (as designed in the arcade game). But a lot of sprites are small (bullets). So reducing the height of some sprites allow to save blitter bandwidth. I have to stop reasoning like if I was coding an emulator.
- if needed I can skip one more frame. It won't be 50Hz but removes flicker
- the frameskip can be dynamic: if too many objects active on screen, enable it, else leave it alone.
Old 22 February 2023, 00:30   #78
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Xevious music is just pure crap... But remakes include good music it seems.

I dug into trying to make it faster though. Found a few ways to optimize the game

- first, I did a second update every 5 update to emulate 60Hz, but I forgot that the update also redrew everything, which is useless. Skipped one redraw => a lot of useless blits => speed gain
- all sprites are 16x16 (as designed in the arcade game). But a lot of sprites are small (bullets). So reducing the height of some sprites allow to save blitter bandwidth. I have to stop reasoning like if I was coding an emulator.
- if needed I can skip one more frame. It won't be 50Hz but removes flicker
- the frameskip can be dynamic: if too many objects active on screen, enable it, else leave it alone.
Can't you just use hardware sprites for the Souvalou and enemies' bullets? I think it would save a lot of bandwidth that way
Old 24 February 2023, 17:02   #79
metalion

I never thought an Amiga 1200 was in trouble to run Xevious, my humble MSX2 has a very good port, maybe the best port non emulated.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 February 2023, 17:59   #80
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalion View Post
I never thought an Amiga 1200 was in trouble to run Xevious, my humble MSX2 has a very good port, maybe the best port non emulated.

[ Show youtube player ]
Fudeba go home.