English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 July 2020, 12:50   #61
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
This is Nancy at Chase Headquarters. We've got an emergency here. Havie the double poster has been spotted on EAB road...
Wrong game...and stop bumping my bottom!
Old 26 July 2020, 20:26   #62
Havie

Thought I'd try recording the first level off Winuae using different configs and versions to compare but the AGA version seems pretty smooth however I set Winuae up. I must be doing something wrong?

I have 68020 and approximate 1200 speed selected.
JIT off.
Full collision.
2 meg chip ram only.

And it runs much better than my real 30 50 mhz Miggy!

Can someone explain this to me?
Old 26 July 2020, 22:22   #63
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Thought I'd try recording the first level off Winuae using different configs and versions to compare but the AGA version seems pretty smooth however I set Winuae up. I must be doing something wrong?

I have 68020 and approximate 1200 speed selected.
JIT off.
Full collision.
2 meg chip ram only.

And it runs much better than my real 30 50 mhz Miggy!

Can someone explain this to me?
Did you select A500/A1200 cycle excact under 'CPU and FPU' and also under 'chipset' select both Cycle-exact (full) and Cycle-exact (DMA/memory access)?
Old 26 July 2020, 22:48   #64
Havie

I did under CPU not sure about the rest. I did try running from the built in A1200 config as well. Will check...thanks.
Old 27 July 2020, 18:38   #65
Havie

OK - so with a bit of help from younger Havie I have made a comparison video of the various versions (I didn't include the CD32 as this is basically the same as the AGA version).

Please ignore my terrible handling - but you can see the difference in running speed between the various versions.

Me and little Havie had big debates about the aspect ratio - particular Amiga v SNES but after playing on my SNES mini and Amiga 1200, it does look like the Amiga has a wider display. This could also be down to my complete inability to record the video from Winuae though...

Other things to note, the HUD on the 500 version is slightly higher than the A1200 version (maybe something to do with the lack of fuel bar?).

Anyway. without further ado (and this is really a new video just in case the forum police are watching me):

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 July 2020, 19:16   #66
turrican9

Quote:
OK - so with a bit of help from younger Havie I have made a comparison video of the various versions (I didn't include the CD32 as this is basically the same as the AGA version).

Please ignore my terrible handling - but you can see the difference in running speed between the various versions.

Me and little Havie had big debates about the aspect ratio - particular Amiga v SNES but after playing on my SNES mini and Amiga 1200, it does look like the Amiga has a wider display. This could also be down to my complete inability to record the video from Winuae though...

Other things to note, the HUD on the 500 version is slightly higher than the A1200 version (maybe something to do with the lack of fuel bar?).

Anyway. without further ado (and this is really a new video just in case the forum police are watching me):

[ Show youtube player ]
Great work. Thanks

The Amiga version looks wider because it's running in PAL. If you switch it to NTSC the car will not be as wide and look more like the SNES version
Old 27 July 2020, 20:42   #67
Havie

I'm not sure that's the case as I think the Amiga version that runs in pal only runs in 200 lines compared to the SNES vertical resolution of 224 which would squash the Amiga graphics a bit. (I am in the UK using a pal 1200).

I compared Top gear (on my real 1200) to Sensible World of Soccer and Top Gear definitely has about 25% of the screen just black at the bottom whereas SS goes right to the bottom.
Old 27 July 2020, 21:20   #68
turrican9

Quote:
I'm not sure that's the case as I think the Amiga version that runs in pal only runs in 200 lines compared to the SNES vertical resolution of 224 which would squash the Amiga graphics a bit. (I am in the UK using a pal 1200).

I compared Top gear (on my real 1200) to Sensible World of Soccer and Top Gear definitely has about 25% of the screen just black at the bottom whereas SS goes right to the bottom.
Well, at least the car itself will look more like the SNES version if you try NTSC. NTSC will stretch the picture vertically. I also have PAL Amigas but I have tried NTSC by setting tooltips to NTSC.
Old 27 July 2020, 21:56   #69
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Well, at least the car itself will look more like the SNES version if you try NTSC. NTSC will stretch the picture vertically. I also have PAL Amigas but I have tried NTSC by setting tooltips to NTSC.
That's true - haven't tried that!

Nearly at then end of my Top Gear adventure...have set up a YouTube channel to host the video and will put all the info from this page in to a web page on my very old and tired website!

Watch this space...
Old 28 July 2020, 19:04   #70
Havie

So I was writing up a piece for my website and I thought I'd better try different difficulty levels and to be fair the other cars seem faster at higher difficulty levels. Will try and get through all the races to see. I wonder if finishing 10 also changes?