English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 March 2012, 14:11   #61
Amiga1992

VERY interesting, I did not know this!!
Old 27 March 2012, 17:59   #62
wanderer
I want an A1000

Another thing I discovered is that while a monitor might claim 50Hz support, even through an HDMI port, it won't do it properly and convert the signal internally to 60Hz. The result is jerky/juddery video.
Prad.de is an excellent resource, since they test this in their reviews - check the final paragraphs of this review, for example.
Old 15 September 2013, 10:14   #63
wanderer
I want an A1000

Back at this for one final question: the madVR video renderer recently introduced a frame rate conversion algorithm, which provides smooth PAL video/live TV playback on 60Hz displays, with amazing results. It's no frame interpolation and there are no such artefacts.
Would it be somehow possible to pass WinUAE's output to madVR and let it do the work, or a video renderer has absolutely nothing to do with emulation and I should just get a proper 50/100Hz monitor? Thanks.
Old 16 September 2013, 10:17   #64
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't see how it can work without some side-effects. (and your link does not explain how it technically works)

Just get nvidia lightboost capable 3D display
Old 16 September 2013, 10:49   #65
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Back at this for one final question: the madVR video renderer recently introduced a frame rate conversion algorithm, which provides smooth PAL video/live TV playback on 60Hz displays, with amazing results. It's no frame interpolation and there are no such artefacts.
It is always frame interpolation when you go from one frame rate to another, but there are many ways to do it. They call it 'smooth motion frame rate conversion algorithm' and I cannot imagine that they can do it without a high latency/delay and as such it would not be suitable for games. A high latency is not an issue for video playback though as you'd only notice it when pausing/forwarding/rewinding the video.
Old 16 September 2013, 11:03   #66
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I don't see how it can work without some side-effects. (and your link does not explain how it technically works)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It is always frame interpolation when you go from one frame rate to another, but there are many ways to do it. They call it 'smooth motion frame rate conversion algorithm' and I cannot imagine that they can do it without a high latency/delay and as such it would not be suitable for games.
A bit more detailed info from the author, here. The only side-effect is minimal sharpness loss, but it's unnoticeable. Of course, gaming/emulation differs from video, but it works, with none of the side-effects of SVP.

Quote:
Just get nvidia lightboost capable 3D display
Very interesting, thanks. Isn't it preferable to have a native 50/100Hz display? The page mentions it'll only work in 120Hz mode, can that offer smoothness for an emulated PAL Amiga?
Old 16 September 2013, 11:10   #67
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
A bit more detailed info from the author, here. The only side-effect is minimal sharpness loss, but it's unnoticeable. Of course, gaming/emulation differs from video, but it works, with none of the side-effects of SVP.
Where does it mention 50Hz to 60Hz support? I only see 23-25Hz to 50/60Hz.

Practically all games are non-laced, which need progressive 50Hz to 60Hz conversion, not interlaced 50Hz (=25Hz frame rate) or progressive 23-25Hz to 60Hz conversion.

Quote:
Very interesting, thanks. Isn't it preferable to have a native 50/100Hz display? The page mentions it'll only work in 120Hz mode, can that offer smoothness for an emulated PAL Amiga?
AFAIK all 120Hz monitors also support 100Hz natively.
Old 16 September 2013, 11:24   #68
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Where does it mention 50Hz to 60Hz support? I only see 23-25Hz to 50/60Hz.
Hm, he mentions "Can convert any source frame rate to any display refresh rate, while maintaining smooth motion." so that shouldn't be a problem? He might be using those examples since it's mostly about video/projectors with specific limitations etc.

About the rest, it's really a bit over my head. It does what it promises for video (which is unusual, since it's no simple task) and I just thought it might have a use for WinUAE.
Old 16 September 2013, 11:24   #69
demolition
Unregistered User

It looks like it can convert between any source and destination refresh rate, although a low source and high destination frame rate performs best. He doesn't mention anything about delay though, probably because it's not very relevant for movie playback.

It sounds like it works just like a typical asyncronous audio sample rate converter, just made for video instead, which is very useful for many purposes. Purists would still want to keep everything syncronized like they do with audio.
Old 16 September 2013, 11:31   #70
wanderer
I want an A1000

One can very easily test PAL video, with MPC-HC, madVR (and optionally, LAV Filters) on a typical 60Hz display.
Old 25 September 2013, 04:41   #71
Leandro Jardim

My LED TV have one strange issue with 50 Hz HDMI/DVI modes. It is a FullHD TV and can show very sharp 1080p "Windows images" but when I change the refresh rate to 50 Hz exactly on any resolution greater than 1280x720, some screen lines gets removed, and is impossible to use it.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 25 September 2013 at 04:49.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:03   #72
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
A real Amiga on a 50 Hz Plasma TV via analog Scart shows a kind of motion blur in scrolling games, it's probably the A/D conversion. The scrolling is smooth though. On the other side, WinUAE via HDMI on a 50Hz Plasma is perfect.
I have a Professional 50" Pioneer Plasma monitor (50MXE20) and Amiga RGB @ 50Hz/15kHz is damn near perfect - Picture Quality is on par with my 1081 despite the upscaling. I've never seen an LCD get even close!