English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 January 2023, 20:37   #61
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Sometimes. It’s even more pronounced in sonic’s waterfalls, Aladdin’s background sand dunes etc.. But dithering should be effective for creating intermediate shades if the artists were relying on it. Making their art not work doesn’t seem like making the graphics better. Obviously everyone prefers what they like but in some cases pixel blend made things effectively “higher resolution” than you get when you just have the pure pixels.

https://twitter.com/CRTpixels/status...214616587?s=20 - but scaled up to entire games.. SOTN isn’t supposed to look all chunky. A lot of games clearly weren’t. Things like EOTB and Wing Commander that were really targeting crisp VGA it’s a different story.

I’d not want to simulate a rf antenna either though. For me it’s about getting a good yet era appropriate picture not a bad era appropriate picture.
Indeed, that screen you linked to is with a consumer CRT using composite. The entire “PVM with $300 golden-plated RGB cables crafted by elves” thing is ridiculous. Nothing like that was available back in the day and no art was designed with it in mind.

The PVM outputs an image that is totally far from what was originally envisioned by game creators - almost as far as what an emulator outputs. There, I said it - I will wait for the PVM owners to come for me with the pitchforks and torches
Old 20 January 2023, 02:42   #62
lesta_smsc

I'll say it again... CRT FTW! lol

SCART (or Component as the SCART was more European / Japanese standard rather than USA) > S-video > Composite

I have been tempted to get a PVM but it goes from one extreme (pixelated glory on LCD/LED etc to over vivid scanlines) both of which are not how the games were originally designed.

Now back to searching for a 21" CRT...
Old 20 January 2023, 16:53   #63
Adropac2
Zone Friend

when using BMC on my pi and an lcd I put the sharpness way down on the tv but also don't use point filtering so it's sufficiently blurry and then use scanlines or trinitron filter. This to me is pleasing especially as my real C64 was always played with rf and very nicely blurred. The C64 was quite blocky so the idea of it running on a monitor never appealed because of how sharp it would look. A different case though for Amiga I'd say
Old 28 August 2023, 00:37   #64
Wilf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It's a built-in CRT filter/shader in the Mister FPGA settings. But only my preference (to mimic a Sony Trintitron TV). But you can tweak it with tons of different masks, scanlines, gamma, contrast, sharpness etc. The Retrotink 5x Pro scaler has similar advanced features. So, real machines pretty much look the same.
Sorry for raising an old-ish thread.
Can you change the aspect ratio using a Retrotink? I find some miggy games too squashed and like to stretch them vertically
Old 28 August 2023, 11:05   #65
bni

Yes you can you can change the percentage separately horizontally and vertically. And save that into one of the profile slots to quickly change back and forth depending per game or Workbench.
Old 28 August 2023, 11:12   #66
bni

I got one of the 1440p OLED gaming monitors that was recently launched.

I find these to be a perfect combo with the RetroTINK-5X as it can output 1440p@50Hz

As a bonus it supports HDR10 output. This was unexpected for me but HDR actually enhances the appearance of the scan lines and make the image more CRT-like if adjusting it properly. This together with OLED true black.

You can also enable VRR + Gen Lock and and that makes the input lag really low.

Last edited by bni; 28 August 2023 at 14:47.
Old 28 August 2023, 14:31   #67
Wilf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bni View Post
Yes you can you can change the percentage separately horizontally and vertically. And save that into one of the profile slots to quickly change back and forth depending per game or Workbench.
That's very handy. I assume any whd games run from within workbench would use the profile for workbench and you'd still have to tweak manually?

Quote:
As a bonus it supports HDR10 output. This was unexpected for me but HDR actually enhances the appearance of the scan lines and make the image more CRT-like if adjusting it properly. This together with OLED true black.
I'm using retroarch like this with my OLED using BFI, but I miss using real Amiga hardware. I'm thinking of getting an Amiga then buying the upcoming retrotink 4k for realistic scanlines. It's a big expense just to get the real Amiga feeling rather than P-UAE in retroarch, but when you get the itch you must scratch it. I could settle for a mister fpga and hide it inside an amiga style case. Close enough
Old 28 August 2023, 14:45   #68
bni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
That's very handy. I assume any whd games run from within workbench would use the profile for workbench and you'd still have to tweak manually?
Yes you have to use the remote to switch profiles manually.

Personally I always prefer a correct aspect ratio, rather than any kind of filling up the screen.
Old 28 August 2023, 14:51   #69
Wilf

Quote:
Personally I always prefer a correct aspect ratio, rather than any kind of filling up the screen.
I'm certainly not filling the 16:9 display, I'm not a heathen
I just want to make some games less squashed vertically as is often the case with Amiga games, especially pc ports

Last edited by Wilf; 28 August 2023 at 15:47.
Old 28 August 2023, 21:23   #70
lesta_smsc

CRT for scanlines... anything else is not really the same.
Old 29 August 2023, 07:13   #71
dreadnought

Scanlines are overrated. It's all about masks & grilles
Old 29 August 2023, 22:57   #72
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Indeed, that screen you linked to is with a consumer CRT using composite. The entire “PVM with $300 golden-plated RGB cables crafted by elves” thing is ridiculous. Nothing like that was available back in the day and no art was designed with it in mind.

The PVM outputs an image that is totally far from what was originally envisioned by game creators - almost as far as what an emulator outputs. There, I said it - I will wait for the PVM owners to come for me with the pitchforks and torches
I doubt anybody from my generation would even see the difference between a 1980s KVM domestic model vs PVM/BVMs, especially not via RGB analogue of an ST/Amiga/Megadrive/SNES if the CRT tubes are in like for like condition. Maybe with a microscope, maybe. The biggest problem is the smaller screen domestic TVs did not support S-video input.

Hard to find a good era Trinitron TV for a good price. I would like to have the exact same TV I played C64/Amiga/ST/Megadrive games on but it is becoming impossible to find in good condition at any price sadly.

If my friend hadn't junked his CRT tube rejuvenator............
Old 29 August 2023, 23:12   #73
lesta_smsc

My Sony Trinitron KV-14T1U had such a sharp and bright image with excellent geometry. One day it just went off whilst in use. Sad times...