English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 12 June 2012, 17:27   #61
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
Hello,
reading this post i went to give it another try on Frontier.
Now i have 2 questions:

- What is the difference beetween "normal" Frontier and AGA version?
Better graphics? What about frame rate?

- The AGA version was a CD32 version? only for CD?

- as i remember there were a patch for frontier, for the "normal" version? Does AGA version had a patch?
1. There is none other than the bug fixes and a few additions. The original Frontier release had quite a few bugs and run's on all Amiga models with 1MB of RAM.

2. The CD32 A.K.A. AGA version isn't really AGA in the true sense, it doesn't use any of the AGA chipset features at all afaik. It was released for the CD32 as an exercise to bolster the already lackluster selection of CD32 games...However this version does benift from some bug fixes. This version has also been made to run off standard disk.
Old 12 June 2012, 22:51   #62
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Post Did Someone Mention The Frontier Story Book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
has anyone ever scanned the story book,that was a good read because you could actually do the things that where in the book.
You can find the full docs to the game at Space Sim Central in this archive http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files...tier-elite-ii/

I put it together myself from a wide variety of sources, highlights also include (but still missing the final part) a Frontier Comic Book! Have a look at this thread http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic...lite-ii-comic/

Last edited by Geraldine; 11 April 2013 at 10:02. Reason: Updated links
Old 12 June 2012, 23:07   #63
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
You can find the full docs to the game at Space Sim Central in this archive http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads...ntier_PC_v1.01

I put it together myself from a wide variety of sources, highlights also include (but still missing the final part) a Frontier Comic Book! Have a look at this thread http://www.spacesimcentral.com/forum...p?f=47&t=2767#

geraldine you have now been promoted to GOD
Old 12 June 2012, 23:16   #64
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
geraldine you have now been promoted to GOD
Hope you get as much pleasure reading them as I did putting them together
Old 12 June 2012, 23:21   #65
roy bates

Quote:
Hope you get as much pleasure reading them as I did putting them together

oh i will, its been a few years since ive had a read of it.
and it is worth reading again and a again thankyou
Old 12 June 2012, 23:27   #66
SuperNashwan

Just wondering...

I tried the CD32/AGA version and it had a bug where when using the mouse (e.g. when docked at a port) it would randomly fire the lasers. Bad news.

Does this version you are talking about have that bug or not?
Old 12 June 2012, 23:37   #67
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

If your referring to the Special Edition here at EAB, I am afraid so. It has something to do (I think) with the CD32 controller code that was added to the game. Also, that version still has the CD32 set speed bug too. I sent out an appeal across many forums in the hope that some bright coder might step forward with a solution, but no word as yet I am sorry to say
Old 13 June 2012, 00:41   #68
SuperNashwan

Yes, I tried the Special Edition from EAB and also a couple of versions listed as CD32 from elsewhere around the web and they all had the laser firing bug.

A real shame!
Old 13 June 2012, 02:08   #69
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
2. The CD32 A.K.A. AGA version isn't really AGA in the true sense, it doesn't use any of the AGA chipset features at all afaik. It was released for the CD32 as an exercise to bolster the already lackluster selection of CD32 games...However this version does benift from some bug fixes. This version has also been made to run off standard disk.
I thought the cd32 version had better textures and gfx? Also about the laser bug, cant you just use a cd32 pad in the dock?
Old 13 June 2012, 15:09   #70
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
I thought the cd32 version had better textures and gfx? Also about the laser bug, cant you just use a cd32 pad in the dock?
If the CD32 version had better textures and Gfx then it must be very subtle, I can't say I've noticed any difference...Ahh yes the laser bug, what a pain in the ass that is. In all the years of playing I've never tried using the pad, mmm will have to give it a whirl and see how it goes....Would be fantastic to have a version without that bug though...
Old 13 June 2012, 19:01   #71
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

The main difference between the standard disk based version and the CD32 release was (and I am not 100% sure about this) the addition of a few extra buildings and a navigational aid, the ZZ1, to help players using a pad to play the game.
Old 17 June 2012, 18:06   #72
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
The main difference between the standard disk based version and the CD32 release was (and I am not 100% sure about this) the addition of a few extra buildings and a navigational aid, the ZZ1, to help players using a pad to play the game.
Yep, this is correct. Also to answer magentic's question, the CD32 version doesn't have additional texture mapping - this is only in the PC version of Frontier.

Here is a screenshot of the PC version with additional texture mapping.

Old 18 June 2012, 12:32   #73
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

I always thought the game looked better without the textures, I prefer the nice clean lines of the Miggy version In the pics below Potsmoke66 (one of the Pioneer devs) shows us what his model looks like with and without textures or shaders, the untextured one looks very Miggy Frontier like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle No Shaders.png
Views:	415
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	31887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle With Shaders.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	31888  

Last edited by Geraldine; 18 June 2012 at 12:50.
Old 18 June 2012, 22:14   #74
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I have it on the Amiga CD32 I think it better on there..

I stll like the first one better on the bbc micro computer.
Old 19 June 2012, 12:12   #75
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Remember the novel that came with the first one Elite,I loved reading it and it would put in that place in your mind ready for the game..

I had it originally on the Electron(Clone of the BBC Model B)in 1984 (then on the C64)and played it all the time even when I would get killed 10 minutes into the game.. (those dam pirates)

Last edited by spannernick; 19 June 2012 at 12:24.
Old 19 June 2012, 13:00   #76
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
Remember the novel that came with the first one Elite,I loved reading it and it would put in that place in your mind ready for the game..

I had it originally on the Electron(Clone of the BBC Model B)in 1984 (then on the C64)and played it all the time even when I would get killed 10 minutes into the game.. (those dam pirates)

yeah i used to love the storys,they really get you in the "feel"of the games and makes you part of it
Old 19 June 2012, 13:09   #77
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

The Dark Wheel?
Text version here http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files...-elite-clones/
I will get around to making a nice PDF eventually

EDIT: Just can across another link for the Dark Wheel that you can also read. Have a look here http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/dkwheel.htm

Last edited by Geraldine; 11 April 2013 at 10:04. Reason: Another Dark Wheel Link
Old 21 June 2012, 17:53   #78
Christian
Zone Friend

Quote:
I always thought the game looked better without the textures, I prefer the nice clean lines of the Miggy version In the pics below Potsmoke66 (one of the Pioneer devs) shows us what his model looks like with and without textures or shaders, the untextured one looks very Miggy Frontier like

Yes, I had both and totally agree.

I hear 0x10c is going to have a similar look, polys with no textures (if it ever comes out.) I like the idea of that.

http://0x10c.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0x10c

Exciting stuff if it happens
Old 29 August 2013, 17:13   #79
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote: