English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 January 2024, 23:41   #701
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
It'd be great to see someone redo OutRun for OCS. Whatever the STe can do for a game like that, a 512+512k A500 should be able to do - and a 1Mb+1Mb model certainly could.
I agree with you and, while in Amigaland people still discuss about the angels' gender (an italian way to describe an elaborate but somehow pointless discussion) the 8-bit scene chug along stuff like this, pretty impressive if i can say

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 January 2024, 00:09   #702
albino

The amiga scene is split between OCS AND AGA. Develloping on c64 is more challenging
Old 21 January 2024, 00:38   #703
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
The amiga scene is split between OCS AND AGA. Develloping on c64 is more challenging
That one is the plus 4 not the 64,though - they ported and fixed the c64 game
Old 21 January 2024, 06:23   #704
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
That one is the plus 4 not the 64,though - they ported and fixed the c64 game
Hardware sprites are almost no benefit on OutRun because the CPU still has to scale the images. I'd imagine the 128 color graphics of the Commodore Plus4 to be a stunning visual upgrade from the C64 despite both of them being hamstrung by a slow processor clock speed.

Edit: Nope.

Last edited by Samurai_Crow; 21 January 2024 at 07:06.
Old 21 January 2024, 16:41   #705
bluescrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Hardware sprites are almost no benefit on OutRun because the CPU still has to scale the images.

There's no real-time scaling going on in 8/16-bit Outrun ports or similar games. Everything sprite is pre-scaled (often hand-drawn or at least touched up at each size), for example:

https://www.spriters-resource.com/ge...n/sheet/36255/
Old 21 January 2024, 18:36   #706
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
I don't understand how those two sentences are connected.
Old 21 January 2024, 18:37   #707
albino

The batman group looks very skills, when i saw their amstrad cpc port of pinball illusion i remember asking myself, why a amiga demo group is not doing something for amiga ?
I understood then that they were looking after bigger challenge and in my opinion challenging the cpc hardware is a big big one.
Old 22 January 2024, 11:12   #708
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
As someone who has just released their first Amiga game and has multiple code/graphics/music credits on the C64, I'm not sure about this statement?

Developing on the C64 is the easiest it's ever been, with multiple gfx/sfx/msx tools, cross-assemblers and emulators. Developing on Amiga is almost just as easy and it's the developers choice whether to support all Amiga formats (as I tried to do with my simple puzzle game) or just target AGA.

I'm not looking for an argument here, it's just how I see it having done it...?
Old 22 January 2024, 12:54   #709
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
why a amiga demo group is not doing something for amiga ?
Creating a demo is mostly just what's the fun part in creating a game as well.

Most game projects get abandoned when the realization kicks in that you have to do 80% chores now like creating a hi score list, a working start/game/death loop plus tons of other "infrastructure", level structs, fun gameplay, have people testing if they can break shit you haven't thought about, etc etc etc.

You don't have much of that in demos.

After realizing this, my respect for most demo people went down a big notch.
Old 23 January 2024, 08:38   #710
carrion

Quote:
I Agree with OCS/AGA (and 020,030,060,Vampire, etc...) situation
But developing for C64 is so much easier. It's because of the simpler platform but also great tools, from compilers, debuggers, to tile level editors. Pls there's tone of tutorials and example code to start with.

[edit]
hahaha, and what aNdy/AL/COS said
Old 23 January 2024, 18:26   #711
donnie

Megadrive has sega cd, 32x. C64 has c128. Its just people ignore the crappy hardware itirations and focus on the real deal.

Honestly the there are a lot of projects happening all the time on amiga these days. Its much better than it ever was. It has matured a lot.

Its not as good as c64, nothing is, and the the top end on mega drive is of higher quality with games like paprium, xenocrisis, Demons of Asteborg.

Id rate it like this c64>md>amiga/spectrum

But megadrive and c64 has something amiga does not yet have. Games distributed on cartridge. Cartridge games are the best way to sell retro game. Its a great way to utilise the hardware(se games on c64), they are hard(er) to pirate, and people are much more willing to pay a premium. Md games sell for 90 dollars a pop. Cartridge games has an inherent value that floppy discs do not. That has to be at least 25 bucks in the pocket of the developer for every game sold. Which is a good incentive.

If i developed an high end amiga games, id release it on an amiga 500 cartridge. just the news of being the first cart game would garner lots and lots of attention.

Last edited by donnie; 23 January 2024 at 18:33.
Old 23 January 2024, 21:04   #712
hitchhikr

Quote:
If i developed an high end amiga games, id release it on an amiga 500 cartridge. just the news of being the first cart game would garner lots and lots of attention.
That wouldn't be a first tho: https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/b...t.aspx?id=2005
Old 23 January 2024, 23:52   #713
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I'd be happier if people would take full advantage of fast RAM instead of targetting anemic stock configurations. Then you wouldn't need to worry about cartridge games.
Old 24 January 2024, 00:51   #714
Dunny

Eh, we had cartridge games on the speccy. 10 of 'em in total. They don't always take off.
Old 24 January 2024, 01:42   #715
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
I'd be happier if people would take full advantage of fast RAM instead of targetting anemic stock configurations. Then you wouldn't need to worry about cartridge games.
Problem is if you target anything with more than 512/512 ram and a stock 68000 and the community come after you with pitch folks while simultaneously demanding a WHDLoad slave.
Old 24 January 2024, 01:48   #716
albino

Rockstar should finishtheir 90 s amiga project like gore for exemple. They got enough people to do so.
Old 24 January 2024, 06:07   #717
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Eh, we had cartridge games on the speccy. 10 of 'em in total. They don't always take off.
As someone that seen the interface 1 in action i wonder: there were limitations in size and speed of access?
Old 24 January 2024, 08:30   #718
appiah4

I think it has to do with two things:

1. The number of macines in the wild. Yes, Amiga sold well but it still probably sold a fraction of what the C64 sold, particularly in NA. As a result, there is less nostalgia and documentation about it.

2. The configuration is all over the place. There is no single standard to go for other than the OCS - and the OCS was probably 95% exploited within the Amiga's lifetime so there is little new ground to cover and little reason to retread what has already been done. As for expanded configurations, particularly AGA, there is a very minute install base and probably very, very little coding experience for it.
Old 24 January 2024, 09:00   #719
Korban

@Amiga Lifestyle

I dont think it was that it wasnt identical. Its more likely that its nothing at all like the arcade version, is slow, is sluggish and unresponsive.

It's a horrendous conversion. Super Street Fighter 2, despite looking worse is a much better game.

I agree with the sentiment, but not the example (SF2).
Old 24 January 2024, 09:57   #720
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
As someone that seen the interface 1 in action i wonder: there were limitations in size and speed of access?
It was the interface 2 that had the cartridge port. Each cartridge is a 16K ROM which effectively replaces the Spectrum's own ROM, so executes at full speed