English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 June 2024, 13:05   #701
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Well, it creates a "customer-client" relationship that make them feel more entitled to it; money might NOT make him bend the will but, especially in hard times, goes hardly unappreciated.
Putting copyright issues aside for a moment (lawyers are far more likely to come knocking if you're charging for something).

Let's say you charge £50 a copy for Final Fight Enhanced, exactly as it is today. Your total market sales are probably likely to top out at maybe 100 copies. So that's, at best, around £5000 for three years work and leads to an expectation of a series of additional updates and fixes for free. It's just not nearly enough for money to be a sufficient motivation.

It's better to have your own goals for what you want to achieve and why you want to do it. And then walk away if and when you feel you achieved them. It might not make all the fans happy, but that'll probably never happen anyway.
Old 21 June 2024, 13:27   #702
sokolovic

AestheticDebris where did you get that 100 copies estimation ?
There is some numbers for recently released Amiga games and they exceed 100 copies (not sold at 50£ each thought).
Final Fight would probably far exceed also that number, copyright issues put aside, obviously.
I won't say that this is a good business but still, 100 copies at best seems underestimated.
I doubt they've made just 100 copies of Cecconoid and the game is already having a new batch.
Old 23 June 2024, 06:38   #703
Iskbob

@JonnySevern - your version of the visuals and palette swaps look quite amazing! I hope you pursue this and can provide a full set of assets that can be worked with, whether for Bricks project or for anyone else who might be willing to do their own version. Please see the link below hopefully what I've included here might be useful to your efforts.

@Brick Nash

As a follow on from my original post on the thread I got around to doing the quantizations on the backgrounds - from the arcade not the Amiga version. However both should be quite similar in resolution.

What is provided is for testing purposes.

1.The arcade background with an added alpha channel added (to remove pink from the ripping background). These may not contain all elements of the arcade and they're just the best I could find as backgrounds. This is for reference to see how results compare to the original.

2. 32 Color test - This yielded, unsurprisingly, the best results and actually look very close to the arcade. It's almost a shame that the extra bit plane can't be used for the Amiga, as even with the reduction in color it provides some exceptionally good results. I'm including this incase someone figures out how to get enough speed for ECS version to work with the extra bit plane or wants to use this for an AGA version with a few color tweaks. It also may make a good a reference if any further pixel edits are undertaken.

3. 14 Color test - this provided some great results with some minor trade offs. This is probably a good candidate for a semi fixed color palette with some palette swapping at times, if the right color selection is chosen and some additional pixel editing is done. I've left a color empty for a background color, and another for the copper.

4. 9 Color test - this is for a palette of 9 colors for backgrounds. 5 colors for bobs, 1 for the background and 1 for the copper. This is more of a base conversion which allows a pixel artist to add color back while still yielding ok results. This version loses the most detail but still looks ok in most cases.

Link is here - https://mega.nz/folder/pqNgAJQC#MrUV3QtW3x6MvK5Q8PHidg

I'll leave this up for a couple of weeks before taking them down.

24/06 - I've added a second test group using a different method. Provides similar results, but some screens which turned out poorly in the first group of tests may have turned out better using this method and vice versa. The second test group retains more detail in general.

I've also added two additional groups in the second test - 24 colors & 16 colors.

Use freely and with no pressure or expectation, I just want to see the best 'enhanced' game possible come about whenever it feels right.

Last edited by Iskbob; 24 June 2024 at 15:06.