English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 June 2017, 20:31   #701
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
only compatibility with Jens accelerators is assured. Anything else "could/might" work, but not assured (yet)
It's fair enough really, for a hardware manufacturer to only support their own products.
Old 22 June 2017, 01:34   #702
Mick

I have a Blizzard 1230 and if the new Phase 5 Digital company are for real I'd like to get a 1260 assuming they aren't insanely priced, hopefully Jens will support the new P5D cards if they're legit...

Vampire standalone looks promising too but I just like the idea of new motherboards using the classic custom chips and accelerators more.
Old 24 June 2017, 10:39   #703
Pyromania

I'm looking forward to Amiga Reloaded as well? Any update on when it's shipping?
Old 26 June 2017, 23:44   #704
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I'm looking forward to Amiga Reloaded as well? Any update on when it's shipping?
Here's a tip that will make your life much easier: "Don't hold your breath"
Old 10 December 2017, 22:56   #705
radfoo

Just googled this for updates, shame it appears not to be happening. Is it fare to say the project is dead?
Old 10 December 2017, 23:35   #706
spudje

It is happening, Jens reconfirmed at Amiga32. But he first wants to check whether some innovations as part of his board are patentable. After that he will communicate more open about it.
Old 11 December 2017, 06:07   #707
demolition
Unregistered User

It seemed mostly finished already, so I think it is still happening. C64 Reloaded MkII was just released so perhaps the A1200 Reloaded is next in line.
Old 11 December 2017, 09:52   #708
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
But he first wants to check whether some innovations as part of his board are patentable.
The standard way to find out whether something is patentable is to file for a patent yourself. Once you have filed for a patent, you are free to talk about it. I'm curious what innovation that's supposed to be, given that we are discussing a resurrection of a 25 years old computer mainboard. And what other market opportunities he sees because the cost of a patent would hardly be justified by this small and not very competitive a market. To me this is not very plausible but I will resist the temptation of calling it a bad excuse...
Old 11 December 2017, 22:58   #709
eXeler0

Just when I was getting used to the thought that it was abandoned. ;-)
IF its still a thing, I think it needs to be compatible with Vamp 1200 V4..
Old 12 December 2017, 06:00   #710
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
IF its still a thing, I think it needs to be compatible with Vamp 1200 V4..
Why does it 'need' that? It would be nice for us yes, but you really can't expect Jens to design it to be compatible with something that doesn't exist yet? I think that with Gold3 though, as the Amiga chipset is implemented inside the FPGA it is probably quite compatible since the actual Amiga will not be doing much except delivering power and handling I/O signals.
Old 12 December 2017, 06:58   #711
spacey

just received my C64 reloaded mk2 - nicely made bit of kit! looking forward to the amiga board
Old 12 December 2017, 14:36   #712
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I think that with Gold3 though, as the Amiga chipset is implemented inside the FPGA it is probably quite compatible since the actual Amiga will not be doing much except delivering power and handling I/O signals.
And what a waste it would be to spend a considerable amount of cash on a motherboard that basically would be an I/O zombie... much better to just get a standalone Vampire at that point.
Old 12 December 2017, 16:16   #713
obitus1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
just received my C64 reloaded mk2 - nicely made bit of kit! looking forward to the amiga board
Got mine last week. I am impressed. If the Amiga Reloaded does indeed come to be made, and it's anywhere near as nice as this (which I am sure it will be), sign me up.
Old 12 December 2017, 19:20   #714
eXeler0

Quote:
Why does it 'need' that? It would be nice for us yes, but you really can't expect Jens to design it to be compatible with something that doesn't exist yet? I think that with Gold3 though, as the Amiga chipset is implemented inside the FPGA it is probably quite compatible since the actual Amiga will not be doing much except delivering power and handling I/O signals.
Note to self, don't use words like "need" in this forum ;-)
Well, its not rocket science, we know Jens is split between defending his own series of accelerators from Vampire and catering for the needs of the rest.. but IMO that is not the best way to handle this, its better to make a board that works with both for the sake of flexibility and more options.
Some of the Vampire fans will buy the standalone, while some will refuse to use it if its not in a Amiga box, (glorified keyboard or not...)
And some will just want an all new A1200 (new case, new keys, new mobo, new accelerator, and then why not a vamp v4)
And some will want a1200 where they can swap between different accelerators..

My key point here is that I don't think Jens will lose any measurable amounts of cash on 030 sales due to ppl buying Vampire V4s.. So why not have a mobo that also works for them (and hey, loose a few cents on accelerators, get a few buck back from mobo buyers that wouldn't have bought his accelerators anyway (like me))
Old 12 December 2017, 20:07   #715
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
My key point here is that I don't think Jens will lose any measurable amounts of cash on 030 sales due to ppl buying Vampire V4s.. So why not have a mobo that also works for them (and hey, loose a few cents on accelerators, get a few buck back from mobo buyers that wouldn't have bought his accelerators anyway (like me))
I doubt that Jens will go out of his way to ensure that it will not be compatible with the Vampire. He will of course focus on making it work properly with his own accelerators and if it also runs with a Vampire then great, but surely he won't go and buy a Vampire board and spend a month debugging it if there is some issue with it..
Old 12 December 2017, 20:36   #716
eXeler0

Quote:
I doubt that Jens will go out of his way to ensure that it will not be compatible with the Vampire. He will of course focus on making it work properly with his own accelerators and if it also runs with a Vampire then great, but surely he won't go and buy a Vampire board and spend a month debugging it if there is some issue with it..
We'll se which one comes out first. If the V1200 board is ouit first and he gets a free dev-board then the choice is up to him. If the Reloaded is first, well at least ppl cat blame him for not testing it with non-existent products. But then the Vampire can probably be "adjusted"...
Old 12 December 2017, 21:28   #717
Amiga1992

And who said a standalone Vampire will not fit inside an Amiga box for those foolish enough to still think that is in any way better than WinUAE? :P
Old 12 December 2017, 22:09   #718
m4nos

tnx

Old 13 December 2017, 00:26   #719
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And who said a standalone Vampire will not fit inside an Amiga box for those foolish enough to still think that is in any way better than WinUAE? :P
Of course it will physically "fit", some will likely do that too.. along with a Raspberry Pi and what not.., Hell, a mini NES
And someone will model and 3d print brackets to keep it all in place etc..
Still, if you put a V1200 into a A1200 and then remove it whats left is a working A1200, not an empty shell.. so... you know.. options, to do other stuff with it. People are in this for various reasons, so let them do their thing. Whatever floats their boat.

The thing about UAE vs Vampire is another topic and mostly a matter of personal opinion so Ill leave that out..
Old 13 December 2017, 15:30   #720
Amiga1992

Quote:
Still, if you put a V1200 into a A1200 and then remove it whats left is a working A1200
Is it?

Going OT anyway, sorry about that.