English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 04 December 2023, 18:00   #661
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
Hello, koobo. I looove the xmaplay from 8bitbubsy integrated in Hippo, but I would like if possible to give it "AHI" support, or at least stereo support. The player is perfect and doesn't miss a single command or note, finetunes, everything is perfect, but the differences of listening to an .xm with the stereo vol-pans is too much. Would it be possible?

I leave you a video with three random .xm so you can listen yourself the differences.

Thank you very much.

[ Show youtube player ]
That's odd. xmaplay060 (Paula) renders in full stereo with full panning support, just like real FT2. You do need to wire the Amiga output up for stereo though.
AHI support is not something I think about implementing just yet.
Old 04 December 2023, 22:08   #662
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
That's odd. xmaplay060 (Paula) renders in full stereo with full panning support, just like real FT2. You do need to wire the Amiga output up for stereo though.
AHI support is not something I think about implementing just yet.
Its weird coz I listen it in MONO in hippoplayer when I activate xmaplay060 gadget and in stereo when I de-activated and use the internal old ft2 replayer. Can anyone check it out? Maybe is my problem.

try with this .xm for example:
https://modarchive.org/index.php?req...id&query=39567

In this youtube video you can check the .xm playing in Schism Tracker and can be show the panoramic-dots in some channels in the square at the right centre of the screen
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Estrayk; 04 December 2023 at 22:16.
Old 04 December 2023, 22:48   #663
vulture

@Koobo

Uploaded some ay files in the zone to test, many thx for your help!

@patrik

I'll do it tomorrow and post it here, thx!

Last edited by vulture; 04 December 2023 at 22:54.
Old 04 December 2023, 23:05   #664
cv643d

Recently upgraded, love that you can expand the filebox now by just draging it down with the mouse! ??

Would it be possible to convert Space-scope+ for Eagleplayer to run together with HippoPlayer? (or perhaps clone it and code it to perform better, on higher resolutions it is quite slow even on a high end system (100Mhz 060/Z3 graphics board).
Old 04 December 2023, 23:05   #665
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Koobo!

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
I get "Unknown file format" when trying to load the test file.
It happens when HiP is playing a module and the following one is this text file and I press the "Next" button.

Quote:
"it.siatek 2 - happy bee" works here correctly.

Quote:
This happens if Hippo does not find the assign "timidity:", do you maybe have this?
I don't have "timidity" More seriously, could HiP check differently so that the requester doesn't open of the assign doesn't exist?

Quote:
Trying to open an RSID file should display a requester with "RSID format not supported!" text.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't... I cannot reproduce this behaviour consistently...

Quote:
The hits reported all seem to be in the kickstart code, so it's very difficult to see where the possible problem lies. If you want to examine further you could maybe try the console logging version of hip (hip-debug), available here: https://github.com/koobo/HippoPlayer/tree/master/dist
Maybe the log output reveals something interesting.
Will do!
Old 05 December 2023, 18:03   #666
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@Koobo

Uploaded some ay files in the zone to test, many thx for your help!
All the test files (NavySeals.ay, Switchblade.ay, Xenon.ay, Xenophobe.ay) seem to be incompatible with vgm2wav unfortunately. On the other hand, I have an AY-collection which has versions of the above files which all work except NavySeals.ay. So some variation with the files and compatibility there apparently.
Old 05 December 2023, 18:12   #667
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
Recently upgraded, love that you can expand the filebox now by just draging it down with the mouse! ??

Would it be possible to convert Space-scope+ for Eagleplayer to run together with HippoPlayer? (or perhaps clone it and code it to perform better, on higher resolutions it is quite slow even on a high end system (100Mhz 060/Z3 graphics board).
SpaceScope in Eagleplayer looks to me like the HippoScope in HippoPlayer, just that SpaceScope has all channels overlaid on top of each other
Old 05 December 2023, 19:01   #668
Poison

Any chance you could implement Ranchero (AREXX) notifications when playing the next song?
Old 05 December 2023, 19:27   #669
spotUP

I second that ranchero feature cr.. request!
Old 05 December 2023, 20:57   #670
vulture

@Koobo

Thank you for trying it out. I did the following:
vgm2wav -i navyseals.ay -o nsay.wav -t 30

And then played it back with Play16 and sounded fine. So, it seems that vgm2wav can actually read the tune ok. So, maybe there's something else going wrong somewhere?

Edit: So, it seems that vgm2wav will handle the file if a specified timer is given, but will not do so if it tries to get the length from the tune. So, if I omit the "-t 30" option, it just creates the header of the wav file and nothing else. Could you possibly put a working AY file in the Zone for me to test please?

@patrik

my bad, no fails with new queue-handler (45.2 05/10/12) , I probably misread the snoopdos output the first time around

Last edited by vulture; 05 December 2023 at 21:10.
Old 05 December 2023, 21:21   #671
patrik

Quote:
@patrik

my bad, no fails with new queue-handler (45.2 05/10/12) , I probably misread the snoopdos output the first time around
Good stuff! Your statement made me curious as generally the new queue-handler is really stable, have only had issues with the old one. As a bonus, the new one is way more efficient too.
Old 05 December 2023, 21:50   #672
koobo

Quote:
@Koobo

And then played it back with Play16 and sounded fine. So, it seems that vgm2wav can actually read the tune ok. So, maybe there's something else going wrong somewhere?

Edit: So, it seems that vgm2wav will handle the file if a specified timer is given, but will not do so if it tries to get the length from the tune. So, if I omit the "-t 30" option, it just creates the header of the wav file and nothing else. Could you possibly put a working AY file in the Zone for me to test please?
Good catch! vgm2wav seems to detect some tunes to be 0 seconds in length. To solve this the zero length cases should be handled with a configurable timeout value, for example 5 minutes. Some improvements to be done then

I added "ay.lha" to the Zone.
Old 05 December 2023, 22:04   #673
vulture

Thx!
Old 05 December 2023, 22:47   #674
Calabazam

I have just seen that Hippo has a nice option to read MIDI files (using serial out here).
I would suggest to add an option existing in MrCAMD : this software allows to choose to rearrange the MIDI file specifically for GM, GS or XG, which can make the music rendering significantly better according to what i use (using mainly Roland SC55, Yamaha MU-100 or Korg X5GR), even if plain GM is generally all around good with any GM device.
Old 06 December 2023, 03:25   #675
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
@Koobo

@patrik

i tried using the -v option on various .ay files that arent working for me with vgm2wav, the -v option shows you various stats of these files and it does show that it reads the correct information such as the time/length required for the -t option you are using.

So i tried -v, got the correct tune lengths, then did as you did and used -t <number>, unfortunately the files produced seem to have a proper file size and have the correct file header for a wav file but are 100% full of zero's after that.
Old 06 December 2023, 13:14   #676
vulture

What if you tried a slightly shorter time length than the reported. I've tried up to 60 seconds and seemed right, but no longer than that. I'll give it a spin when I get home later tonite.
Old 06 December 2023, 22:42   #677
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
Its weird coz I listen it in MONO in hippoplayer when I activate xmaplay060 gadget and in stereo when I de-activated and use the internal old ft2 replayer. Can anyone check it out? Maybe is my problem.

try with this .xm for example:
https://modarchive.org/index.php?req...id&query=39567

In this youtube video you can check the .xm playing in Schism Tracker and can be show the panoramic-dots in some channels in the square at the right centre of the screen
[ Show youtube player ]
Stereo works as expected with xmaplay in latest HippoPlayer update (2.59) on "byshore.xm", just tested it. Again, make sure your Amiga is wired up for stereo. If you use an emulator, make sure the stereo separation is set to 100% (same as on a real Amiga).

By the way, Impulse Tracker uses a different panning law (linear) vs. FT2 (square root). This changes how the panning is perceived. This means that you shouldn't use Schism Tracker (or Impulse Tracker) to play XMs, because the panning will sound different. Maybe this is what confuses you. xmaplay is a direct port of FT2's replayer, so it tries to sound like FT2.
Old 07 December 2023, 15:59   #678
koobo

Quote:

Both issues found by yelworC also resolved. These were:
- Enabling "MHI output" in Prefs and trying to play WAV/AIFF/MIDI/MDX2WAV/VGM2WAV will lead to crash.
- Setting "MPEGA freq div" to something else than 1 and playing mp3 will also lead to a crash. This will engage the relatively new and improved mp3 downsampling code which can't handle non-44.1kHz input data.
These are fixed the updated group file in case anyone is interested:
https://github.com/koobo/HippoPlayer...poPlayer.group

Historical note:
The group file is a way to put less used code outside of the main application, most of the music format support code is in there.
For Noise/Protracker playback it is not needed, or for modules which contain the replay code inside themselves, or formats played with external means such as a library.
Old 07 December 2023, 22:52   #679
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Stereo works as expected with xmaplay in latest HippoPlayer update (2.59) on "byshore.xm", just tested it. Again, make sure your Amiga is wired up for stereo. If you use an emulator, make sure the stereo separation is set to 100% (same as on a real Amiga).

By the way, Impulse Tracker uses a different panning law (linear) vs. FT2 (square root). This changes how the panning is perceived. This means that you shouldn't use Schism Tracker (or Impulse Tracker) to play XMs, because the panning will sound different. Maybe this is what confuses you. xmaplay is a direct port of FT2's replayer, so it tries to sound like FT2.
oh my god, you are absolutely right and I was definitely wrong. My fault, I apologise. I have just created an .xm in ft2 with vol.pan and I have tried everything you have told me and that's how it is. Impulse & Schism confused me totally.
Old 08 December 2023, 09:39   #680
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
These are fixed the updated group file in case anyone is interested:
https://github.com/koobo/HippoPlayer...poPlayer.group

Historical note:
The group file is a way to put less used code outside of the main application, most of the music format support code is in there.
For Noise/Protracker playback it is not needed, or for modules which contain the replay code inside themselves, or formats played with external means such as a library.
just to confirm is this linked group file ok to replace our old one?, just i notice the new group file is showing as 131,761 bytes and the one i currently have is 253,620 bytes.