English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 December 2016, 00:47   #641
jediknight

can you build a 1200 motherboard with apollo , and more v ram and hd out all in one that be cool we need some new motherboards heard there making a A500 plus somewhere dont know if its true but its a new board atleast.
Old 10 December 2016, 15:32   #642
Mick

I'm just going think aloud and to put this out there for Jens but if Amiga Reloaded isn't going to be a 100% compatible clone then why aim it (or maybe limit is a better word) to classic Amiga cases? have you thought about making a version of it that is compatible with the Micro ATX form factor? eg. atx power supply, ps/2(?) keyboard, 40 pin ide.

PC cases are generally more robust, expansion is much easier and people have way more choice when it comes to customisation, they could use an old style beige desktop/tower case or the latest black aluminium case.
Old 10 December 2016, 16:08   #643
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
can you build a 1200 motherboard with apollo , and more v ram and hd out all in one that be cool we need some new motherboards heard there making a A500 plus somewhere dont know if its true but its a new board atleast.
@jediknight Please start with reading on this wiki page what the idea behind the Amiga Reloaded mobo is

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Amiga_reloaded

As fun as it is to list random wishes, it is more meaningful if you know what is already planned and what changes / tweaks would be realistic.

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
Old 10 December 2016, 16:14   #644
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I'm just going think aloud and to put this out there for Jens but if Amiga Reloaded isn't going to be a 100% compatible clone then why aim it (or maybe limit is a better word) to classic Amiga cases? have you thought about making a version of it that is compatible with the Micro ATX form factor? eg. atx power supply, ps/2(?) keyboard, 40 pin ide.

PC cases are generally more robust, expansion is much easier and people have way more choice when it comes to customisation, they could use an old style beige desktop/tower case or the latest black aluminium case.
Maybe its just me, but when I ask myself how big the market for mounting a 68k Amiga mobo into a PC case is, I just dont see any significant numbers.

(The current reloaded is suppossd to fit into A500 and 1200 cases. And with the recent kickstarter campaigns a lot of ppl will have spare / and/or new shiny cases to put a new mobo in.)

Old 10 December 2016, 17:23   #645
Mick

I appreciate Jens is probably financially and time constrained but given that he has bought up the remaining stock of chips and there'll never be anything else like this then why not give people more of a choice if possible? the same goes for A600 support. I've just started reading the thread from the beginning and I'm not alone it seems.

If Jens was building 1:1 replica motherboards I could understand purely targetting classic Amiga cases but Amiga Reloaded appears to be some kind of hybrid anyway.
Old 10 December 2016, 18:39   #646
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I appreciate Jens is probably financially and time constrained but given that he has bought up the remaining stock of chips and there'll never be anything else like this then why not give people more of a choice if possible? the same goes for A600 support. I've just started reading the thread from the beginning and I'm not alone it seems.

If Jens was building 1:1 replica motherboards I could understand purely targetting classic Amiga cases but Amiga Reloaded appears to be some kind of hybrid anyway.
Im sure there are a few of you who would want a micro ATX version. Im just not convinced there's enough of you to be economically viable.
Even the announced mobo will probably require binding pre-orders. And thats a motherboard that will fit in existing A500 and A1200 cases (and btw, this broader market is likely one of the major reasons for the mobo not being a perfect replica of either the A1200 or the A500).

Only options would be to start a kickstarter or another separate "binding preorder".

Look at the other case Kickstarter that failed. Yes there were positive voices here at the forums, but in the end it failed heavily. I think a majority prefers their Amiga stuff to look the way it is supposed to. ;-)
Its possible there are 100 users that would consider a micro ATX version. I doubt its worth the effort though.

Just a hunch.. but Jens being the last source of original custom chips, other solutions will be FPGA based.
Projects like the standalone Vampire board is more likely to be released with micro ATX compatibility in mind.

Old 10 December 2016, 20:48   #647
Cobe

Just a daydreaming: imagine A600 AGA V1200 smallest and meanest of them all
Old 11 December 2016, 02:25   #648
jediknight

cant he just remake a 1200 board and make it better then we can stick it in 1200 case , then that kickstarter wouldnt have failed we would need shiny cases , come on somebodt just build some new 1200,s come on clone it send it to china there knock a few million out for us to reboot the amiga.
Old 11 December 2016, 02:46   #649
HardStep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Sorry, radio silence is just caused by so many other projects needing attention. However, I did finish a lot lately, and the ACA500plus is the last one that was already in the works when I decided that I should make an Amiga Reloaded. So yeah, work on the Amiga Reloaded will start about a year late (hoping to get to it early next year).

Jens

Hi Jens,

is there any public info about ACA500plus available somewhere?

Thanks.
Old 11 December 2016, 22:11   #650
Schoenfeld
electricky.

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...CA500plus.html

Some info may change, as we're still adding functionality and in-depth-testing hardware features. Please open a new thread for discussing details - no ACA500plus talk in this one, please.

Jens
Old 11 December 2016, 22:18   #651
honx

a bit offtopic, but will there be an chrismas sale this year? need some competition pro for cheaper price.
Old 12 December 2016, 12:09   #652
Schoenfeld
electricky.

iComp products are never discounted. I regard discounts as a slap in the face of buyers who have paid the full price. I don't like to de-value the units in the field by giving arbitrary discounts. iComp products have a fair price - I sometimes think that they are too cheap if I look at prices that my products achieve on eBay, but I won't use that as an excuse for arbitrary price hikes either.

Jens
Old 12 December 2016, 12:16   #653
honx

i remember 2014 there was a time these competition pro joysticks were cheaper than €30,00.
unfortunatley back then i didn't have the money to buy the joysticks. i simply couldn't afford.
additional there is also this "paypal fee" to pay which makes things more expensive additional.
not to mention shipping costs which are climbing year by year...
Old 12 December 2016, 13:30   #654
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
i remember 2014 there was a time these competition pro joysticks were cheaper than €30,00.
Really? Where?

Jens
Old 12 December 2016, 13:36   #655
honx

must have been your shop (icomp.de) as far i can recall...
Old 12 December 2016, 13:45   #656
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Like I wrote, iComp products are never discounted. At east not in this version of the universe. Haven't found any other version yet. Care to share details?

Jens
Old 12 December 2016, 13:49   #657
honx

could have been elsewhere then. unfortunately i didn't make screenshots or similar two years ago...
all i still know, it must have been around end of year 2014 or christmas season...
or maybe it was cheaper as selling of competition pro started? also in 2014 i guess? could that be?
Old 12 December 2016, 14:08   #658
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Pre-orders of the joysticks started shipping in august 2014. Neither the joysticks, nor shipping or PayPal fees were discounted.

BTW, shipping fees to EU countries have actually been reduced in the meantime.

Must be a different universe you're talking about.

Jens
Old 15 December 2016, 08:17   #659
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
could have been elsewhere then. unfortunately i didn't make screenshots or similar two years ago...
all i still know, it must have been around end of year 2014 or christmas season...
or maybe it was cheaper as selling of competition pro started? also in 2014 i guess? could that be?
Are you thinking of the USB version perhaps?
Old 15 December 2016, 17:02   #660
Amiga1992

It would be awesome if this came in a form factor that would also fit an A600, but one could only dream.

Thanks Jens for the update on this very interesting project!