English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 June 2011, 21:58   #621
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi i have been using the
Jerome Russell B Blonde 40 Vol 12% Cream Peroxide 75ml

which i got in boots very cheaply

i used it for a just over 2 hours painting ever so often with our little heat wave today

and look what i got not expecting much may need some more on the c64 tho

before

after

before

after

c64 keys

a600 keys
Old 26 June 2011, 22:10   #622
danko

@ johnim

Great job! Explain to everyone exactly what you did.
Old 26 June 2011, 22:22   #623
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi danko

i first put on some gloves
poured some of the cream into a little tray
then i used a paint brush to cover the cases and keys
and left them in the sun
then covered with more cream when it looked like it was drying
for about 2 hours and got a nice tan doing it

then washed it off in warm water and left to dry

very simple and great results
all for £1.52 a 75ml bottle which i used just over half
Old 26 June 2011, 22:25   #624
danko

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
hi danko

i first put on some gloves
poured some of the cream into a little tray
then i used a paint brush to cover the cases and keys
and left them in the sun
then covered with more cream when it looked like it was drying
for about 2 hours and got a nice tan doing it

then washed it off in warm water and left to dry

very simple and great results
all for £1.52 a 75ml bottle which i used just over half
Ok, I did like you but I have taken pictures to post, unfortunately, I got the same result but I left in the sun most of the day.
Old 26 June 2011, 22:28   #625
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

did you lightly cover it as i put loads on
Old 26 June 2011, 22:46   #626
Arnoud83

Quote:
did you lightly cover it as i put loads on
Great results. Seems like I don't need lots of H202 anymore.
Is this the stuf you mean?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=140373300804

You didnt use any vanish oxy to make it work? Sounds to good to be true! This is more easy than making retrobright and it is a lot cheaper than buying liters of H202.

Old 26 June 2011, 22:51   #627
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

yes mate thats it

i just used it alone nothing else

i am no expert in this i just used it so if there is anyone on here to give any pointers please let me know
Old 26 June 2011, 23:18   #628
Arnoud83

Quote:
yes mate thats it

i just used it alone nothing else

i am no expert in this i just used it so if there is anyone on here to give any pointers please let me know
Ill buy a bottle. Cant go wrong for 3£. I'll first test it on an old atari keyboard. A few keys with just the bblonde and a few keys with bblonde mixed with a little bit of oxy action to see it it makes any difference.

Old 26 June 2011, 23:24   #629
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

yes they were my spare worse parts for testing let us know how you get on with the oxy added
Old 27 June 2011, 17:28   #630
Arnoud83

Quote:
yes they were my spare worse parts for testing let us know how you get on with the oxy added
I will post the result here. Might last a week or two cause liquids are hard to get through customs.

Old 07 July 2011, 08:55   #631
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Wow, glad to see the Bblonde stuff working so well, I posted a picture of the stuff I used on Page 15 of this thread, so if anyone's heading into town and wants to grab a bottle, you'll know what to look out for

I've got an A500 that's yellower than a smoked mackerel and I'll post pics when I get round to whitening it again.

For the record, I just paint the stuff on neat with a small brush and leave in the sun for about 4-6 hours. If it washes off a bit streaky, simply re-apply and leave for a slightly shorter period of time.

Now we're heading for summer in the northern hemisphere we should expect to see lots of retr0briting going on
Old 08 July 2011, 20:12   #632
Arnoud83

The Bblonde arrived a few days ago but no sunny days here in The Netherlands yet. Lucky i do have a sunbed with 3 UV lamps in it. The result below shows 2 keys. The A key has bin under the UV lamps for 1 hour. You can see the difference best at the side view picture. The Q key still has the yellow line. Look at the A key and you see that the line is allmost gone. There still are some shades of yellow on the A key but that must be cause i applied very little Bblonde. Once ive had a sunny day ill do the rest of my stuff and post the result. So far i am happily suprised with the result after 1 hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4977.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	29044   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4978.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	29045  

Last edited by Arnoud83; 08 July 2011 at 20:22.

Old 10 July 2011, 13:03   #633
Arnoud83

Work in progress. Every time the Bblond seems to be dry i add some more. I believe the sunbed works faster but we will see how it looks after a few hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_4985.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	29058  

Old 10 July 2011, 19:25   #634
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoud83 View Post
Work in progress. Every time the Bblond seems to be dry i add some more. I believe the sunbed works faster but we will see how it looks after a few hours.
What would output most UV? Sunbed or uv-lamps?
Old 11 July 2011, 19:35   #635
Arnoud83

Here are the results. I did not test with Vanish. It simply is not needed. The end result without Vanish is just the way it should be. The case has bin 3 hours in the sun outside and when the first clouds showed up another hour under the sunbed . The first picture shows the lower part of the case without treatment and the upper part of the case with treatment.
I recommend Bblond to everyone who wants to turn his Atari/Amiga back to its original colour. Cheap, simple and effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
What would output most UV? Sunbed or uv-lamps?
I think they are basically the same except for power output. The sunbed I use has 3 UV bulbs of 400W each.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_4987.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	29069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4993.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	29070  

Last edited by Arnoud83; 11 July 2011 at 19:48.

Old 12 July 2011, 11:56   #636
Skope
Protracker

Hey Arnoud, that's one clean looking 1040 you have there. Just waiting on pins over here until I finally get some time+sun so I can give my A500 the same kinda loving. I got 2 bottles of Bblonde last week waiting to be used.
Old 20 July 2011, 14:09   #637
britlady52

Hi - I am also a machine knitter and knitting machine plastic casing suffers terribly with UV yellowing. I have a tried (and successful) recipe for cleaning the plastic without altering the polymers (which can make the plastic brittle).

This recipe is courtesy of a gentleman in the US so I have exchanged US recipe ingredients for UK available ingredients. The hardest to obtain here, is the CLEAR 40 vol hydrogen peroxide as most seems to be of the cream variety which is chemically different. If you can't get any, I obtained mine (around £12 with shipping for 1 litre) from

http://www.jinnysmall.com/products/T...ol-1000ml.html

The rest of the ingredients - xanthum gum, glycerine, and 'Vanish Ox-action' I got off ebay a lot more cheaply.

Here is the gentleman's method of application:

In a blender, pour in the peroxide and xanthan, blend for approximately 5- 10 seconds. Add the glycerin (if using) and Oxy Clean, blend another 5 seconds. The mixture is done.

I applied to the surfaces of the plastic using latex gloves (hair peroxide is a much stronger version of the one we use on minor cuts) and a silicone pastry brush. Once all areas were well covered, I either placed them in a zip-lock bag or wrapped them in kitchen plastic wrap (to repent drying). Now for the important step...place in the sun! The UV rays that caused the yellowing will now act as the catalyst to remove the yellowing. After an hour in the sun, the difference was incredible. I check for "dry" spots and reapplied if needed. The "baking" process took 2- 4 hours depending on how yellow the piece was. The items can also be placed under a UV light indoors, not a black light.

There are no harmful vapours or fumes and I did notice two nice "side effects" - my porcelain kitchen sink is white as new and the spot or two I dripped on my white tile (and grout) island turned the grout almost new. So, I spread some around, let it sit then wiped up, new looking!

I have tried this on my knitting machines and it works brilliantly. If anyone want the pictures of the 'befores and afters' feel free to contact me.

Terri

Old 20 July 2011, 15:52   #638
Skope
Protracker

Hi Terri. Yeah please post your before/after pics here.
Old 27 July 2011, 17:53   #639
Amiten
Banned

A600 Retrobrigth

Hi,

If any one want to see how I Retrobright my A600

http://alcala15agosto.com/mundoretro...00&p=28#post28

Thanks.
Old 01 August 2011, 18:47   #640
willbloke

Just to add my vote to the Jerome Russel Bblonde product.

I get get some funny looks buying it in my local Boots ( 6 foot 1 , long haired biker !)

The spare A500 top case I had kicking around came out a treat , I probably should have spent more time with the keys , but I'm lazy and impatient !

I'm happy enough with the results though the keys could probably do with another coat .
I just painted the stuff on and left it in the garden for a couple of hours , all lettering and logos are intact