English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 June 2020, 21:12   #621
nikosidis

Is it little development now!! It is more than in 15 years!!
New games all the time. Updates to Ibrowse etc.
Old 11 June 2020, 21:30   #622
robwired

Linux atttacts a certain type of user, just like Windows and Mac OS X do. Id say that the Amiga idea is about something else which is a dedication to incredible graphics, audio, maybe gaming, but there is something more, its not about being cheap or looking for something that is free.

There are bits and pieces of the Amiga concept that are spiritually out there, but as a whole they would have more value.

Steam sort of had part of an idea with the Steam game machine but using Linus rather than creating a new OS means it wasnt a complete idea. People who enjoy gaming should have a new modern OS, not be subjected to using Windows, Mac or Linux.

BeOS had an inkling of an idea but was more of a French guys idea of what Apple should be.

There is a missing market between buying a Playstation/Xbox and buying a Windows PC.

It should be open so anyone can make software without being stuck on old code. A fresh start would give it an advantage and the open source arm processor movement could supply the hardware.

Im not suggesting building a modern OS to replace Win/Mac/Linux. Im suggesting a modern OS that is for the type of user that is left out. That person wants something hyper focused on the experience, the graphics, sound, video. Linux isnt right as its mostly ugly and unpolished, windows is a holy mess, mac is meant for the creative person.

Give me the OS that people will push to do amazing things. Use it to push the envelope!

If the owners of the IP made it a Community project it wouldnt have to be entirely open source and on the back-end the brand name would have greater value.

If it was made open source then just the right to license the t-shirts, mugs, mousepads and other merchandise would have more value than all the existing IP.

And as for Aros, I think that misses the point. Its time to start over and leverage the brand which Aros doesnt have.

If you think Aros technology is great and the brand is worthless then work on Aros.

If you think the Amiga and Commodore brand has value then start over with a new OS and build anew.

For too long the idea has been to build on the old tech. That is great for a small userbase but its not all that Amiga could be today.

Last edited by robwired; 11 June 2020 at 21:35.
Old 11 June 2020, 21:42   #623
Daedalus

Old 11 June 2020, 21:45   #624
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

You are trolling
Old 11 June 2020, 21:46   #625
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

[QUOTE=robwired;1407110 ...something hyper focused on the experience, the graphics, sound, video.[/QUOTE]

It already exists. In the opinion of many musicians, graphics artists, and video producers, they feel more productive in the Mac environment - this isn't to say the same or equal applications don't exist in Windows and there will be many who prefer Windows over Mac.

The industry standard graphics/video/audio applications already exist and have established pedigrees.

Ok, so the Mac is never going to be a game machine. Gamers love Windows and Ryzen is hot.

Look, I know how you feel - we all have a special feeling for the Amiga platform. My config in FS-UAE using OS3.9 and a 68060 with JIT puts me in my happy place in a way my second love, MacOS, cannot. I stay with the Mac because it has tools I rely on that don't exist in Windows, like Audio HiJack Pro, MP4tools (there's NOTHING like Mp4tools on the Windows platform, nothing), Subler, XLD. But it doesn't excite me anymore like the feeling of having my Amiga back. I've been in this happy place for a year now - I learn something new every day.

As long as some very kind and dedicated developers continue to produce new apps, utils, and games to delight us, the Amiga will never die. There's no need to kill it with a New-World version of it IMHO. In all seriousness, getting involved in AROS or SCALOS might be the direction you want to look at.
Old 11 June 2020, 22:07   #626
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Shall we get back on topic?
Old 11 June 2020, 22:09   #627
AMike

Sorry lads, but the topic here is the upcoming OS 3.2.
Old 11 June 2020, 23:08   #628
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
However, one problem remains unsolved which can be worked around, but the workaround is never convenient. What happens if you want to list the contents of a directory whose name contains wildcard pattern characters? Usually, this does not work at all because the directory scanning functions which the List command uses expect wildcard pattern characters to activate wildcard expansion operations.

Ehem. Check your subversion. List has now indications as whether or not to escape wildcard patterns such that the output of LIST can be feed as input to other commands safely. Unfortunately, LIST cannot know whether "the other command" requires wildcards or not, but at least there is now a way to indicate what LIST should do.
Old 11 June 2020, 23:14   #629
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
People said similar things about TOS/GEM.
People are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Ok, you've lost what little credibility you had now.

In your eyes? Guess how much I care about trolls.
Old 12 June 2020, 00:33   #630
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Shall we get back on topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
Sorry lads, but the topic here is the upcoming OS 3.2.
These two EAB members are right. This thread is getting headed quite the wrong way, with some posts looking more like personal arguments than anything else.
Old 12 June 2020, 01:07   #631
Scrat

I wonder why these discussions always end up getting off the rails. It's perfectly ok if you don't like what we're doing, but there's absolutely no need in repeating the same old rants again and again all over the place. It's getting boring.
Old 12 June 2020, 03:12   #632
robwired

I posted in this thread because the Amiga IP owners stated that they wanted to open a dialog with the userbase. Id really appreciate a response from that gentleman who seemed open to input.

If the answer is that there can be no discussion on the subject thats fine but this is the discussion he called for and Im far from trolling.

If I was on a different site and the owners of Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica asked for ideas on new episodes prior to the reboots I dont think it would have been out of line to suggest a reimagining or reboot.

If you get my point that Amiga is an idea and not a set of code you’ll appeciate the analogy.

And as for Aros, thats like telling me that I should read fan fiction. If its not canon im not interested and it doesnt have the market power or brand name recognition to go anywhere.

Look guys, Im simply taking the position that Steve Jobs took when he came back to Apple. Amiga has vast name brand recognition so it makes sense to do a reboot, just like Mac OS did, even if that reboot was to buy Next.

Last edited by robwired; 12 June 2020 at 03:31.
Old 12 June 2020, 06:25   #633
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

We asked for input on AmigaOS 3.2 and beyond. Not to drop everything besides the name which is what you seem to suggest. And no - Amiga has no brand recognition for 99% of tech consumers anymore.

We are more than willing to hear about practical and realistic ideas, that can be done. We have even listened patiently to ideas that would help only a very few and take years to do. But if your only suggestion is to give it all up and start over from scratch keeping nothing but the name then I'm sorry but that is squarely off topic for this discussion.

Last edited by boemann; 12 June 2020 at 06:40.
Old 12 June 2020, 07:01   #634
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi robwired,

I commend your enthusiasm and and share the thoughts of apreciation
for the Amiga platform as much as you do.

I am not the owner of any Amiga IP. I am just part of a team that
tries to help the Amiga platform move a little forward.

There are unfortunately no medium or big size companies around the
Amiga market anymore. So funding is almost non-existant to persue any
dramatic change. Long gone are the days and possibilities to make
another dent at the mainstream market.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a pessimist in any way, it is just that
the world moved on from a technical point of view to much more
advanced approaches that have been already mentioned to you, perhaps
in a rather blunt and negative connotation that made them quite hard
to digest.

Despite all of this, many of us feel attached to the Amiga for
nostalgic reasons. So we just persue more realisitic approaches: fix
long standing issues and improve the Amiga experience without losing
sight to the spirit that drove the platform in its golden years.

I invite you to share with all Amiga users this journey, understanding
that sadly a brighter future might never come, and that we cannot go
back in time to change history. But we can surely keep enjoying and
pushing a little bit forward the Amiga platform as long as our heart
desires.

So lets turn the page, as there is a lot of interesting developments going
on for the Amiga in terms of hardware and software. And believe me,
AmigaOS 3.2 is certainly one of them.
Old 12 June 2020, 08:38   #635
robwired

Well said. Thanks for the clarification. You never know in these crazy times what will happen so while I wont hold my breath, Ill have hope to someday see a resurgence in the spirit of Commodore and Amiga.

Just about every company and its products from my childhood in the 80’s has been remade, recreated or reimagined from comic books to movies to clothing. Even arcade games and video game systems that were old are new again.

If Disney can make billions off of recycled comic book characters, Patrick Stewart can revitalize Star Trek, Pac-man arcade machines can be bought from Walmart, Nintendo and Sega can brush off old games then Im sure that Commodore and Amiga will be back, just not in the way we might think.

Its the idea of the Amiga and the excitement of our youth that we all share and are passionate about that makes this a difficult subject to talk about, but I appreciate you guys for keeping it alive.

We are the children of Commodore and that makes you all ok in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Hi robwired,

I commend your enthusiasm and and share the thoughts of apreciation
for the Amiga platform as much as you do.

I am not the owner of any Amiga IP. I am just part of a team that
tries to help the Amiga platform move a little forward.

There are unfortunately no medium or big size companies around the
Amiga market anymore. So funding is almost non-existant to persue any
dramatic change. Long gone are the days and possibilities to make
another dent at the mainstream market.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a pessimist in any way, it is just that
the world moved on from a technical point of view to much more
advanced approaches that have been already mentioned to you, perhaps
in a rather blunt and negative connotation that made them quite hard
to digest.

Despite all of this, many of us feel attached to the Amiga for
nostalgic reasons. So we just persue more realisitic approaches: fix
long standing issues and improve the Amiga experience without losing
sight to the spirit that drove the platform in its golden years.

I invite you to share with all Amiga users this journey, understanding
that sadly a brighter future might never come, and that we cannot go
back in time to change history. But we can surely keep enjoying and
pushing a little bit forward the Amiga platform as long as our heart
desires.

So lets turn the page, as there is a lot of interesting developments going
on for the Amiga in terms of hardware and software. And believe me,
AmigaOS 3.2 is certainly one of them.
Old 12 June 2020, 09:41   #636
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwired View Post
I posted in this thread because the Amiga IP owners stated that they wanted to open a dialog with the userbase. Id really appreciate a response from that gentleman who seemed open to input.
I think that's a missunderstanding - the guys here are the developers of 3.2, but they are not the IP owners.
Old 12 June 2020, 10:41   #637
apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
I wonder why these discussions always end up getting off the rails. It's perfectly ok if you don't like what we're doing, but there's absolutely no need in repeating the same old rants again and again all over the place. It's getting boring.

Thank you Scrat!!!!
Old 12 June 2020, 12:21   #638
Spacemonkey

It would be good to see an updated list of the plan features in OS 3.2
Old 12 June 2020, 12:22   #639
nikosidis

How is it with PFS3. I know it is free now but is it possible for you to include as alternative file system to FFS?
If not I guess it is no problem to install 3.1.4 or 3.2 to ready PFS3 formated partition?
Old 12 June 2020, 12:45   #640
gulliver
BoingBagged

PFS3 is great in my book.

I remember it took me a while to track down its author who is really a great guy and agreed to make it available for all of us.

The good thing is that PFS3 found home both on 68k and MorphOS. And Toni Wilen is doing a great job at maintaining it.

We will stay with FFS. But PFS3 is fully supported and working on both 3.1.4 and 3.2.