English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 June 2020, 08:00   #601
PurpleMelbourne

The Silicon Image Sil3512 PCI > SATA-1 chip was declared obsolete in 2014, but there are plenty of chips available.

Here is the datasheet
http://www.pix.net/techpubs/silicon_...-DS-0102-D.pdf

It does 150MB/s over a PCI bus.
There are PCI chips available. I'm working on a design using an also obsolete Galileo chip which is also an SDRAM memory controller which provides DMA to the PCI side.
Old 10 June 2020, 08:31   #602
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMelbourne View Post
Silicon Image Sil3512 is supported on 4.1 Any chance of porting that driver to 3.2?
Drivers are no Goal of Amiga OS 3.2! Therefor you should ask Elbox for example, to implement it in there pci.library and support a propper Driver.

pci in 4.1 is different! It supports no DMA.
Old 10 June 2020, 09:06   #603
PurpleMelbourne

Even just physical connection to a SATA device at Gayle speed would be an improvement. Plenty of people have old laptop SSD's sitting around which are more than enough for an Amiga.
Old 10 June 2020, 09:26   #604
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I am not asking about when 3.2. will get released, but is there any info about on what's the current state?

alpha, beta, final testing?
Old 10 June 2020, 10:19   #605
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMelbourne View Post
Even just physical connection to a SATA device at Gayle speed would be an improvement. Plenty of people have old laptop SSD's sitting around which are more than enough for an Amiga.
Oh come on, stop doing this. This thread is about OS development, it has bugger all to do with hardware development.
Old 10 June 2020, 10:35   #606
Fook42

regarding scsi.device .. is there any "real" support for the 4xIDE adaptors ? or do we still need the obsolete ideFix patch that replaces the rom-scsi.device with their own one (loosing any improvements from the OS 3.1.x / 3.2x) ?
Old 10 June 2020, 11:17   #607
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I am not asking about when 3.2. will get released, but is there any info about on what's the current state?

alpha, beta, final testing?

It is feature closed! Now Debugging of all new Features is in Progress
Old 10 June 2020, 11:25   #608
AlphaAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
It is feature closed! Now Debugging of all new Features is in Progress
cant wait too see this released
Old 10 June 2020, 12:18   #609
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
regarding scsi.device .. is there any "real" support for the 4xIDE adaptors ? or do we still need the obsolete ideFix patch that replaces the rom-scsi.device with their own one (loosing any improvements from the OS 3.1.x / 3.2x) ?
There is an unsupported module you can load, which makes the 3.9 and 3.1.4 scsi.device work with the second channel of common 4xIDE adapters.

Good luck.

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=17
Old 10 June 2020, 13:33   #610
gulliver
BoingBagged

In the absense of Commodore we have developed drivers for some Commodore-Amiga hardware.

But that is not our job. We develop AmigaOS, we do not develop drivers for the hardware that you want to sell or buy. That is the job of the hardware manufacturer.

Documentation, source code and examples have been available for ages for those who want to bring new hardware.

Hire or partner some developer from the community (not us) and make your new creation work.
Old 10 June 2020, 16:14   #611
kamelito
Zone Friend

This make me wonder if the NDK will contains material for graphics card driver development.
Old 10 June 2020, 16:42   #612
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
This make me wonder if the NDK will contains material for graphics card driver development.
No, that is part of the P96 NDK which you can get now from icomp.
Old 10 June 2020, 16:52   #613
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Since there is no such thing as a graphic card driver that would be a bit hard.

As Thomas hinted it would be a dream of ours to try to do that in a future release. But it is a big undertaking.
Old 11 June 2020, 15:32   #614
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo1 View Post
Besides the above, "dir" and "list" behave differently when they encounter directory names with forbidden characters. Like in the "Remus/modules" directory for example.
Why is the Author of Remus using the paranthesis in the naming scheme I ask!

If it's not too much of an hassle, maybe "list" can be made to at least behave as well as "dir"?
Done already This was actually a bug in how the "List ALL" option was implemented and it had been around since at least 1990.

When you use the ALL option, the "List" command will start to maintain a stack of directories it encountered during normal directory scanning, and when the last entry of a directory is read, it will "pop" an entry from the stack, keep using that, pop the next one, etc. until everything has been listed.

Here's the problem: it uses the same directory scanning operating system functions for all of this work, which also happen to automatically deal with wildcard pattern expansion. This works fine for a case such as "list #?.info" in which every directory entry to match will probably be a file.

But if the directory scanner is restarted with a directory name, to list the entries of that directory, it should never default to automatically process what could be a wildcard pattern. When the List command does this, it knows exactly how the directory is called, and that there is no need to expand wildcard patterns. But this is how these directory scanning functions work: they are designed for wildcard expansion and you have to turn this feature off if you do not need it.

This is how the AmigaOS 3.2 version of the List command does it now: whenever a subdirectory is being scanned through the ALL option, then the automatic wildcard expansion feature is disabled first. With this change in place it finally does what it is supposed to do.

However, one problem remains unsolved which can be worked around, but the workaround is never convenient. What happens if you want to list the contents of a directory whose name contains wildcard pattern characters? Usually, this does not work at all because the directory scanning functions which the List command uses expect wildcard pattern characters to activate wildcard expansion operations.

Since wildcard pattern characters such as "(" or "%" may show up in any file or directory name, but may not constitute a valid wildcard pattern, the automatic wildcard expansion will usually stop before it has produced anything useful.

This is why you would need the wildcard pattern escape character to indicate that what might be a wildcard pattern is definitely not one. Practically nobody remembers what this escape character is (it's the backtick character: "`"), and almost all AmigaDOS shell commands perform wildcard expansion by default. Worse still, you cannot even make assumptions about whether an AmigaDOS shell command will perform wildcard expansion, so the only solution available seems to be in rewriting the AmigaDOS shell commands themselves so that they will try to access each file, directory or link which exactly matches the name given first, and if that fails, try pattern matching.

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 11 June 2020 at 15:46.
Old 11 June 2020, 15:39   #615
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Thus, please understand: AmigaOs is a museum piece. It is not a modern operating system, and it cannot be made a modern operating system. If you want something modern and scalable, there are many alternatives.
People said similar things about TOS/GEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter
I am sorry - but, no, not even close. I am not a windows user, I am a Linux user, but as far as the operating system is concerned, Windows has a lot more to offer and is by far ahead of the old Amiga Os system.
Ok, you've lost what little credibility you had now.
Old 11 June 2020, 16:38   #616
nikosidis

Sometimes it is better to say nothing. At least if it is negative of something you are tring to sell.
Old 11 June 2020, 16:48   #617
apex

Let us make things to a problem where no problem is!
Old 11 June 2020, 19:44   #618
robwired

While its absolutely true from a technical perspective that there is very little to build on, I disagree that there couldn’t be a comeback for the Amiga.

The reason for this is that Amiga isn’t just an OS.

Commodore and Amiga are brand names which have real value. Brands die all the time and come back stronger than ever, even in our tech space.

What Im advocating for is the building of an official modern OS by leveraging the Commodore and Amiga brand.

If you took the collective imagination of developers and users who want a new and separate modern OS you could really have something amazing.

Amiga could be a modern two stone soup story, something like Firefox, but rather than just a browser, it could attract all of the types of users and developers who are dying for an alternative to the Mac, Win, Linux options.

This might mean starting over with zero code and thinking of this as a new beginning, the official rise of New Amiga 1.0.

If I were in charge for a week, Id create a mission statement, adopt a license that allowed developers from all over the world to vote and contribute, basically make an open call that together we are going to start fresh with a new vision, a shared vision.

The idea of Amiga is more valuable than any technology.
Old 11 June 2020, 20:28   #619
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwired View Post
The idea of Amiga is more valuable than any technology.
Possibly, but only to those of us who love the Amiga and what it represents/represented.

I followed Linux development between 1995 and 2003, not to mention the development of KDE and Gnome and I was certain it was going to finally get corporate desktop share.

I left it forever realizing that was never going to happen and then realize that it STILL doesn't have a reliable alternative to MS Office - THE industry standard with Libre being a horrible buggy mess. Apple's own free office suite is (nearly) bug free and more or less compatible with MSO and no one uses it. What this should tell you is that your Amiga project will never have the support Linux does in the way of dedicated developers - and those Linux developers will never reach the number of PAID Mac and Windows developers. No one is going to pay developers to produce what you're suggesting.

It's a pipe dream which is NEVER going to happen. Linux, for all the time and effort and real-world adoption for servers, is still niche. REALLY niche. A new modern Amiga OS - what, for Intel and ARM?

Nope.
Old 11 June 2020, 21:10   #620
eXeler0

Attention dreamers..
I think that people who dream of big things happening to Amiga OS that will somehow make up for 2+ decades with no or little progress and turn it into a modern OS should turn to AROS instead and get involved there.

Understand that any fantastic new feature that would significantly alter or change what the Amiga OS was in the 90s would be of little use to a majority of users and also inevitably bring:
*new incompatibilities or at least new issues that would drive away people back to 3.1.X
*Probably introduce hacks that would slow down things
*Probably require various hardware upgrades (Dual core dream, memory protection etc)

Stop asking for dual processor solutions as it will not happen, and even it it's theoretically possible to somehow do it, who would benefit?
What software would benefit?
Who will make the new hardware?
Who will buy that new hardware.. (And a lot of people still using their Amigas are incredibly slow to adapt new hardware.. I mean..I still see a lot of people who still complain that they haven't been able to afford a 040 or 060 card. (My god, its been 26 years since C vanished. That's 312 months, give or take and you could afford to set €1 aside each month?)

If you think there is little development for Amiga now, wait til you try to get people to write new software that will utilize dual core hardware.. Or make people buy that hardware so that the software devs have a market for their software.. and that would be like.... 37 people?
If you disagree with this, go and join the AROS team and you can certainly dream big, and you will have the blessing of the Apollo team as well. Who knows, maybe you can persuade Gunnar to put 2 cores in an FPGA some day..

Personally, I'm not very interested in AROS, because for what I want from my 25+ years old computers, OS3.x does enough, and it runs all my old stuff that I want to work.. Id rather have a polished, sleek and more convenient "3.1 experience" and take it for what it is. Everything else I can do a lot more efficiently on other platforms.