English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 October 2015, 08:43   #601
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Not related to this. But Solo761. Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your Mkick disk you made to softboot A500 1.3 to 3.1! Works like a treat on my A500 with 512kb expansion. I also used the original disk rather than the 2 updated memory chips version.
Solo761, where can we find that WB3.1 Mkick disk?
Would you upload it again to the Zone?

P.S. would you be able to adapt the QL Kickrom too, so that it could be run on a real Amiga (softkicking)?
Old 13 March 2016, 22:28   #602
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaosx View Post
This is my first post so hi all!

I did Kipper's sound hack mod to my gotek and is not working.
I get a constant beep.
Here's a video with the problem: [ Show youtube player ]

I've used a magnetic type buzzer, here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130889560494

The gotek is running great besides this soundhack on my A500.

Some pics of the hack (sorry for my soldering skills):

What I'm doing wrong?
So I did this sound mod today. Found a small buzzer that was plugged into the motherboard of one of my PCs. It worked for a while. Then as I came back to my retro room I could barely hear the buzzer anymore. Just a very faint sound when I put my ear into it. I also think the buzzer felt very warm.

What could be the cause of this?
Old 14 March 2016, 17:37   #603
turrican9

Got this one from an old PC. So far it's working. Getting rather hot on the backside while 'buzzing' though. Have checked and there are a little less than 5 Volts to it when it's active.

Old 14 March 2016, 19:30   #604
turrican9

I hotglued the buzzer below my Gotek in the bottom of my Amiga 500 case.

Old 23 March 2016, 16:28   #605
chalan

hello, im new here a and was trying to flash gotek drive.

i have this usb-ttl adapter http://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB2-...388655525.html

and this gotek drive http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black...574690617.html

checked soldering cables everything but got the same output...

Code:
Failed to init device.
or
Code:
Failed to read ACK byte Unexpected reply from device on command 0x01
when i connect cables the blue led on ttl adapter lights, but dimm after i issued command
sudo stm32flash -u -b 57600 /dev/ttyUSB1

led goes of and blinking very dimm and error messages appers... can please somebody help me out?

Last edited by chalan; 23 March 2016 at 16:41.

Old 23 March 2016, 19:47   #606
dJOS

Tbh it's more of a voodoo art than a science.
Old 24 March 2016, 01:41   #607
UberFreak

chalan:did you put the device into programming-mode via the correct jumper ?

I suggest you follow the instructions here:
https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/
Old 24 March 2016, 12:45   #608
chalan

off course... i was finally able to flash it with windows 7, no luck with linux... but the drive wont load SELECTOR.adf... was trying two different usb drives... im confused... how can i check if flashing was really successfull with correct firmware?

on my amiga 500 LED drive is ON permanently and does not blinking... so nothing happend

Last edited by chalan; 24 March 2016 at 13:00.

Old 04 April 2016, 19:33   #609
turrican9

No one has any plans on continuing Herve Messinger's firmware or make a new firmware? The HXC firmware is not an option for me as you can only assign 15 slots at a time when HXC firmware is used in the Gotek. If the Herve Messinger firmware could support Extended ADF and fix those few bugs it would be perfect.
Old 08 April 2016, 00:02   #610
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
No one has any plans on continuing Herve Messinger's firmware or make a new firmware? The HXC firmware is not an option for me as you can only assign 15 slots at a time when HXC firmware is used in the Gotek. If the Herve Messinger firmware could support Extended ADF and fix those few bugs it would be perfect.
15 slots at a time ? no no...
Here is the 250 slots "at a time" file selector compatible with the HxC-Gotek & SD HxC :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...OBOOT_beta.zip
Old 08 April 2016, 16:31   #611
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
15 slots at a time ? no no...
Here is the 250 slots "at a time" file selector compatible with the HxC-Gotek & SD HxC :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...OBOOT_beta.zip
Very nice. But even 250 is not enough for me. I look at the slots as "virtual floppy disks in virtual floppy boxes" and I like to have 500 + virtual floppy disks, with the option of even more. So 999 suits me very well.
Old 08 April 2016, 16:47   #612
Amiga1992

Does this not depend on the software being used as a launcher? I believe Jeff can make it load as many as you want, I guess. Doesn't seem like a hardware/firmware limitation.
Old 08 April 2016, 17:10   #613
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Does this not depend on the software being used as a launcher? I believe Jeff can make it load as many as you want, I guess. Doesn't seem like a hardware/firmware limitation.
Yeah, he said he can. If he does I will order me a couple of Gotek drives with the HXC firmware already installed as I cannot bother to order the serial device, then buy the firmware and connect it to his servers and blah.. blah. Easier to just buy them from amigastore.eu with the firmware already installed.

Edit: I don't have any wish or plans of adding a display which can show the filenames, so if the HXC firmware works in the same way as the Cortex firmware with regards to if you hold the forwards/backwards buttons the counter goes faster and faster then it's fine. If this function is not in the HXC firmware then it's a no go for me. I prefer to have all my assigned images on a list and use the number display.

Last edited by turrican9; 08 April 2016 at 17:24.
Old 09 April 2016, 03:01   #614
dJOS

Quote:
Very nice. But even 250 is not enough for me. I look at the slots as "virtual floppy disks in virtual floppy boxes" and I like to have 500 + virtual floppy disks, with the option of even more. So 999 suits me very well.
I dont think you understand the concept of slots here, this is not limit on how many disks you can store on the SD card, it's a limit on how many you have in a ready to use "queue".

most ppl will put only the games they are playing in slots and then clear the slots when they move on to other games.

Your SD card storage limit is the main factor in how many disks you store, not the number of "slots".
Old 09 April 2016, 12:02   #615
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
I dont think you understand the concept of slots here, this is not limit on how many disks you can store on the SD card, it's a limit on how many you have in a ready to use "queue".

most ppl will put only the games they are playing in slots and then clear the slots when they move on to other games.

Your SD card storage limit is the main factor in how many disks you store, not the number of "slots".
no, I perfectly understand. I actually want to be able to assign more than 250 slots in one go. I know it's not the limit of how many images you can store on the SD card/USB stick. My goal is to try and avoid the selector software for the most part. I already have track 21 to track 512 assigned on my Gotek Cortex units. I did it on one then just imaged the USB stick for use in my others. Of course I have more ADFs on my USB sticks than this. And that is one of the reasons I left the first 20 tracks empty. If I want to go and assign a demo or something. even 21 to 512 is not that many games. Keep in mind most games have several disks and many has a save disk.

With a list printed out or just use the same list on a PC it's very fast to load up one of the assigned ADFs. Also, what many people don't realise is that with the Cortex firmware when you hold the backwards or forwards buttons it starts to cycle faster and faster. Don't know if the HXC firmware have this functionality that it will cycle faster and faster the longer you hold the backwards or forwards button? So even going from track 0 to track 999 would not take many seconds. Of course if you were at a low track and wanted to go to one of the last tracks you just use backwards button instead and it will be even faster. It will also skip empty tracks.

This is much more practical and faster than using the selector software on a regular basis.

Last edited by turrican9; 09 April 2016 at 12:13.
Old 09 April 2016, 12:34   #616
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I fully agree with turrican9.
Old 09 April 2016, 12:53   #617
dJOS

You guys are nuts, so basically you need to document your slots on paper so you know what's where?
Old 09 April 2016, 13:06   #618
turrican9

Quote:
You guys are nuts, so basically you need to document your slots on paper so you know what's where?
Take a look at my thread here. I have a list going from 21 to 512 sorted alphabetical. It will consist of 18 pages when printed out. Very easy to use. I even offer 4 and 8GB USB images for download with this list pre-assigned. Of course the USB images contains more games than the ones assigned to the tracks. This is much faster and more practical than booting into the selector and assigning your favorite games every time.

Also, 20 first slots are left empty for assigning/re-assigning anything you wish. Also there is no problem to use MS Word to extend the list or change it. You don't even need to print it out. Just have it on a ipad or whatever.

If this is your definition of being nuts then I prefer to be nuts

Last edited by turrican9; 09 April 2016 at 13:17.
Old 09 April 2016, 13:12   #619
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, I can understand why someone would do that, though I don't do it personally. I like the "random" factor, so I just start the Amiga, select a slot on the Gotek and load whatever is there. It's much faster than having to go through the file selector. If you have a list (not very practical for me, because I keep changing my slot-assigned games) you could pre-select the game you want to load by choosing the appropriate number and voilà! Also much faster than using the file selector. Just as fast (if not faster) than using real disks.

Now, I can see that not everyone looks at things this way. I still use the file selector and I think it is of vital importance, but the simple chance that the Cortex firmware gives of using it this way makes it more desirable for some people than the HxC. If Jeff was to implement these features on HxC, I bet it would appeal to a much broader share of the users and increase his own market share. But that's entirely up to him. We can do nothing more than offering mere suggestions (or carve our own Gotek firmware, LOL).
Old 09 April 2016, 13:20   #620
dJOS

Quote:
If this is your definition of being nuts then I prefer to be nuts
Well I think we are all a bit mad to start with, I think you are less mad than PP tho as at least I could work with your system.