English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 August 2018, 06:27   #41
DaveTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
but there are games that after installation on HD have more extra like graphics and music than floppy disk?
No, never heard of that.

But there are games that have much more animations and music/sounds if you own more RAM.

I think of Dynamix games like Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China and The Adventures of Willy Beamish.

The last one also is a good example for a game that have to be played from harddisk (12 disks), although it's not required.
Old 01 August 2018, 11:05   #42
Seiya

ah ok. so like Das Boot that run with 512k of memory, but to have full sound you must have more memory. Of course better experience from HD
Old 01 August 2018, 11:38   #43
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTaylor View Post
No, never heard of that.

But there are games that have much more animations and music/sounds if you own more RAM.

I think of Dynamix games like Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China and The Adventures of Willy Beamish.

The last one also is a good example for a game that have to be played from harddisk (12 disks), although it's not required.

I know one game that have better/more Graphics with an HD.

Its called LIBERATION.
The Game have the option to use (extract) better Textures for the Game and that feature is only for HD users.

Last edited by Nibbler; 01 August 2018 at 13:16. Reason: typo
Old 01 August 2018, 11:48   #44
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
I completely agree. I didn't understand it back then and it annoys me looking back at it now. Reviewers (and users no doubt) were complaining that games didn't run fluidly on A500 well into the 90's.

NEXT game:

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
http://hol.abime.net/2098

Really quite fantastic game and a good port. It requires a powerful machine to run perfectly (HDD is just basic. I would say an 030 is a must for the 3D-parts) and it is a real treat for Star Trek fans!
I actually upgrade my A1200 to play this game and have still never finished it!
Old 02 August 2018, 15:49   #45
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Well, I can understand a bad rating for a game because of it's hardware requirements, if those are not explicitely mentioned on the game's box.

When I look at the box scans at HOL in case of Hare Raising Havoc, it seems that it was not originally mentioned on the game box that it requires a HD (and not only that - it also requires a tleast 1MB chip!! ram - 512k chip & 512k slow never worked for me)

So, they should never have marketed it for Amiga 500s, since an A-500 doesn't have a HD (and most A-500 users didn't ever buy one)
The game is not AGA, but since it requires a HD and more then the usual 512k chip/512k slow ram, it should have been marketed as an A-1200 game.